Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2011 9:00:09 AM EDT
With the changes to the supressor law in WA, I'm looking at supressing my Aug A3 using a AAC ranger 2 threaded on to a TPD barrel.  

I know that Augs don't supress particularly well, Any concerns on "over gassing" the system when running a can?  Any best tips?  Has anyone thought of creating a can specific setting on the gas system?

D
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
With the changes to the supressor law in WA, I'm looking at supressing my Aug A3 using a AAC ranger 2 threaded on to a TPD barrel.  

I know that Augs don't supress particularly well, Any concerns on "over gassing" the system when running a can?  Any best tips?  Has anyone thought of creating a can specific setting on the gas system?

D

Not to highjack but you can actually now "mount" your suppressor instead of just looking at it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if "overgassing" hurts it.

My MSAR wasn't particularly quiet, until I shut the gas off.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

D

Not to highjack but you can actually now "mount" your suppressor instead of just looking at it?

We could always mount them, just not shoot them. Now we can shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My MSAR E4 is suppressed with an AAC Ranger and I don't have any problems at all. I keep the gas setting on H to bleed off as much gas at the regulater as possible (the opposite of what you would do with an AR) and find that it cycles 100%. You do feel more gas by the side of your head when shooting suppressed but that can't be helped as the port sits right by your ear. The sound from the ejection port, however seems quieter to me, more felt gas but still quieter. For those of you who say your MSAR/AUG are louder suppressed, my experience is that it is still quieter then suppressed SBR'd AR's and far better balanced.

I like to shoot both suppressed and un-suppressed so I just got a spare barrel and left the AAC Ranger mounted. Now it only takes about 5 seconds to switch back and forth.

MadDog

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
MadDogDan, any reasone why you went with AAC over the other brands like Surefire?
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Yes, the specific reason is I use to live in GA right close to the AAC manufacturing plant.  They had them in stock and I got a great deal on it.  Surefire makes great cans as does Ops Inc. and some others but I have just stuck with AAC (except for my all Titanium .22 ThunderBeast suppressor).  I purchased another AAC a few months ago (AAC TiRant in 45 ACP) and is now my favorite suppressor.  Built like a tank but super lightweight, hearing safe dry (no ear-pro needed) and looks bad-ass to boot.

JMHO,

MadDog

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Well actually, we will be able to shoot them in about 80 something days.  It goes in to effect 90 days after the close of the legislature, which was last Friday.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how many people in WA Stage purchased suppressors over the years just waiting for the day the law would be changed and they could shoot them.

MadDog
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wonder how many people in WA Stage purchased suppressors over the years just waiting for the day the law would be changed and they could shoot them.

MadDog

The more pertinent question is how many people just used them anyway.

Answer:  LOTS.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 2 cans that have been used some over the last several years, mostly in LE/Gov training, which is ironic considering there was no LE exemption in the law.  Possion has always been legal but you could only use them to shoot mimes.  

Have 3 on order.  Going to be an expensive couple of years, especially if we get SBRs next.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

D

I have always been of the thought that a can with a good amount of internal volume would be the ticket with the AUG.  I really want to build a reflex type can with a QD-ish mount, but make the bore of the can 30cal and have the mount set up so that it is also a compensator with a really tight exit hole to help push as much gas as possible into the reflex part of the chamber.  Then with it being 30 cal I could use it on my bolt gun and so on.  Frankly, I really just want to try a good 30cal can on my AXR and compare it to a 223 specific can and see if it makes a difference in gas noise.  

One thing to consider is that with the short stroke piston, cycling of the action is dependent on the residual pressure in the chamber after the bolt is unlocked from the trunnion, or so I am told.  So if the can is generating a ton of back pressure, the carrier will be thrown open with more force and can possibly lead to premature failure of the carrier guide rods or the stock itself.  Hence why I think it would be best to build a can with the least amount of back pressure as possible.  That and all the gas venting out of the gas ports will make noise as will the carrier slamming back so its a win win I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#13]
My plan is to run my 30cal can on my stg for those reasons. I'm sure that other folks are running the larger bore cans on theirs and getting about the same results as those using standard 5.56 cans though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:22:12 AM EDT
[#14]
SO I have a Gemtech HVT 39 cal can. Maybe I should try that first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top