Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/7/2010 6:57:32 PM EDT
Jesse from Safe City delivered it yesterday after a 9 week wait. The original deal was to deliver it to my garage, but after thinking about it I thought I'd rather have it in my back room, but to be on the safe side I cleared a spot in both. Jesse took a look at the alley behind my house and the drive gate and said "No problem. 20 minutes later it was unloaded, in place and bolted down. My thanks to them for the great service. Also, the Rainier 50's for 2010 are 3" wider, so it's 43" wide instead of 40". If you're in Arizona, call Jesse at Safe City, he'll take good care of you. Oh, and the Rainier 50 is everything I wanted and was hoping for. I feel a lot better now that the guns, coins and important papers are safely stored. Now I need to think about some lights. Or maybe a few more guns so it's properly stuffed.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:26:19 AM EDT
very nice, Have you thought about using the pistol hangars to gain more shelving space? I have never used them but people seem to like them.

RS

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 7:31:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rescueswimmer:
very nice, Have you thought about using the pistol hangars to gain more shelving space? I have never used them but people seem to like them.

RS

http://www.storemoreguns.com/images/stories/Handgun_Hangers_GA_sm.jpg

I had cup hooks that I'd covered with plastic tube in my old cabinets, but they won't work in the new safe, so I'm definitely looking for some kind of pistol rack. haven't seen those before, I'll check them out. Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 7:56:49 AM EDT
Very cool, congrats! Pistol racks are a must I think the pistol hangers posted above are what I'll go to myself when I need more pistol storage space. I like the fact that they free up the shelf space.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:03:18 PM EDT
I picked up a few wire, plastic covered, dish racks at WallyWorld today when I was picking up some other stuff. It's stupid how good they work to store guns. You can store 7 or 8 guns in each one and they cost $8 each. Makes it easy to slide out to pick what you want to take to the range. I know, I know, the dumbshit spent $2.8k on a safe and he's using dish racks from WallyWorld to put his handguns in. Trust me, I feel the irony there. It's because I spent $2.8k on a safe that I have to use dish racks.

I also picked up a 12' piece of the clear rope lighting for $8 too. Not sure if it will provide enough light but it's worth a shot. If not I'll wrap it around my front window at Christmas.

Pics later after I get it all up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:08:10 PM EDT
Nice! Im really digging it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:37:29 PM EDT
I've heard people talking about the dish racks before, but haven't ever seen what is being referred to - so I'm looking forward to the pics
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 7:37:25 PM EDT
Ok, here we go. First the dishracks. Damn things work surprisingly well once you get the hang of fitting the guns in. They're pretty sturdy, have rubber feet and hold handguns, even small ones, pretty securely. All of my handguns with the exception of the derringers, my EDC and the Detective Special (which is in the original box with the original cardboard cover) on one shelf. I guess one could even use the utensil cup for mags and stuff. It's best to leave it there as there's an open spot underneath it. Buying racks meant for handguns costs about $6 to $8 per gun. This costs about a buck a gun.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 7:43:20 PM EDT
Next the rope light. I paid $7.97 for this 12 foot length, it also comes in red and blue. It comes with clips, wire ties and screws. The hole for the cord was already there. I bought a short extension cord and a male end as well. I cut the male end off the extension cord, slipped it through the hole from the inside, put the replacement male end on and plugged in the light to test them. Then I screwed the clips into the fireboard and popped the rope into them and plugged it in. Total time about 15 minutes, half of which was spent looking on the floor for dropped screws and clips that tried going AWOL on me. The rope is long enough to go from a foot off the bottom, wrap all the way around the top and come to about a foot off the bottom of the other side. When the sun is shining in the windows you can barely tell that they're lit, with the room dark it lights it up pretty good.

Sorry I was so slow with the pictures, I had to stand in the pitch black room, have a couple of beers and enjoy the sight.

Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:41:21 AM EDT
Sweet...

Summit makes some great safes...
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:22:13 PM EDT
Nice safe. I love the rope light idea. I'm looking at your safe sitting on the couch and my wife just asked me what is the pink gun in the back of your top shelf.

Grove
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:55:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Grove:
Nice safe. I love the rope light idea. I'm looking at your safe sitting on the couch and my wife just asked me what is the pink gun in the back of your top shelf.

Grove

It's a pink Cav15 lower. I may have gotten the last one. One of these days I'm going to put it together for my GF.

Oh, and I added another section of rope light this evening, this one around the back wall. The rope light is no where near as harsh as it looks in the picture. It's really a lot easier on the eyes than a fluorescent tube is.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 9:22:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2010 9:24:20 PM EDT by NVGdude]
Originally Posted By 3rdpig:
. If you're in Arizona, call Jesse at Safe City, he'll take good care of you.

THIS.

Jesse delivered my Summit last month. I bought a Cascade which is one down from the Rainier, and am very pleased with the safe and the service from Safe City.

Almost a shame to hide it in the master closet:

Top Top