Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2007 8:53:02 PM EST
Just curious if it would seem more or less quiet than a round expelling a projectile.
I was just thinking about "Hollywood Quiet" that we all dream to achieve. Is it based on their use of blanks being used instead of real bullets?

Anybody ever try this?
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:00:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By gunmonkey:
Just curious if it would seem more or less quiet than a round expelling a projectile.
I was just thinking about "Hollywood Quiet" that we all dream to achieve. Is it based on their use of blanks being used instead of real bullets?

Anybody ever try this?

It is quieter simply bc there is no projectile cutting through the air, but not pbbt pbbt pbbt hollywood quiet unless you lighten the load.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 10:45:36 PM EST
I think louder as with no bullet blocking the bore then why would the gas trap in the baffles rather than going out the unobstructed bore?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 2:09:13 AM EST
uh, you guys have heard of sound effects, right?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 3:51:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By GhostRing:

Sshhh.... quiet. Stop using logic in an internet forum.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:07:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/21/2007 10:17:34 AM EST by SmallChange]

Originally Posted By GhostRing:

I can make my AR "hollywood quiet". I load it with snap caps (just to be safe), leave the safety on, point it in a safe direction, pretend the pull the trigger, and make that "pheeyow" sound with my mouth.

It's amazing.

It works just as well with any type of silencer, but I like AAC best becuase the baffles are made of kryptonite.

Seriously, though...
<smallchange's hypotheses>
Supersonic rounds will be louder than a blank simply becuase of the bullet's sonic crack.

Subsonic bullets might actually be quieter than a blank, because the bullet will form a partial seal (and resulting backpressure) as it passes through the baffles instead of letting the expanding gasses push straight out. (ETA: oops, didn't see D_H's post above, which says basically the same thing.)

A NOTE OF CAUTION -- some blanks have a plug of some sort (wax, felt, etc.) to seal the end of the bullet. These could potentially get lodged somewhere in the baffle stack, and possibly even cause damage to the baffles.
</smallchange's hypotheses>

ETA: oops, didn't see D_H's post above, which says basically the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:52:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
I think louder as with no bullet blocking the bore then why would the gas trap in the baffles rather than going out the unobstructed bore?

I have shot 22 blanks and they are louder than a suppressed 22. David is exactly right.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 1:30:38 PM EST

This was another aspect I was curious about, how much the projectile itself contributes to a can's effectiveness. I guess that all answers my admittedly stupi curiousity.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:58:48 AM EST
I dunno, but I have a couple blanks that I need to get rid of.

I was going to use them for immediate action drills since they will not fully cycle the action without a BFA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:11:32 AM EST
Ever wonder why silenced guns sound exactly the same in every movie or why guns cock themselves whenever they are picked up, or why you hear people pulling a hammer back or releasing a safety on a Glock
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:14:27 PM EST

+1 My thought exactly. Suppressors rely on the "main" path be blocked by the projectile, this forces the redirection of the gases through and around the baffles, which suppress the sound. The actual sound of the projectile passing through the air is nil unless it goes supersonic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:28:34 AM EST
I'm pretty sure subsonic bullet flight is in the 80-90DB range. Almost nil in a practical sense, but not actually ZERO.
Top Top