Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2003 7:02:48 PM EDT
Okay...this is really odd...  Figured I'd post to get some ideas...

When I insert the mag into the mag well, it is 100% lock in.  Front hole is engaged in the mag hole and the latch is tight on the back of the mag.  Now, when I fire, the mag pops out in the front!!!  Happens w/ my 5 rounder and my 20 rounder (mil spec).  If you rest the rifle on the mag, it doesn't.  But when it is not, the mag pops out everytime you fire.  I thought it was not stripping rounds (mag problem), but the mag is becoming 'un-catched', lacking a better word.  The mag catch is still latched, but the front pops out...

Should the little tab that holds the mag in the front be square edge or slightly rounded?  I'd post a pic, but I don't have my digital right now....

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact Springfield customer service.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
mag catch spring?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Customer service.... well, I bought this used and it's old.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If it happens on every mag you use it can only be 3 things I can think of right off.

1.Mag catch spring is weak or someone shortened it if they took it apart and couldn't reassemble it right.

2.Op-rod spring guide is rounded off or worn real bad (should be pretty sharp).

3.Also, check the recoil spring to see if it's weak.The recoil spring should measure at least 15-3/8" long.

HTH
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I'll try to check those things.

But "where" do I get parts?  Springfield?  (New to M1A's and Garands).....

Thanks!!!!

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Customer service.... well, I bought this used and it's old.

Doesn't matter, they could tell you what's wrong, which would be a quick fix or they may tell you to send it in for inpection by their 'smiths, or you take to a local 'smith.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
everything (~) on the M1A can be interchanged with USGI M14 Parts.

Fulton Armory
GunPartsCorp

etc...
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Springfield M1A's have a lifetime warranty.
Call them and ship it to them and they will tell you what is was.They don't charge $$ because of the warranty.

It won't cost anything except maybe S&H to Spfld.You'll even learn something, free of charge.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
 The portion of the recoil spring guide rod that engages the fron square hole of the magazine should have a nice and sharp edge not rounded.   I agree with the weak mag latch spring prognosis also. Still, order a new recoil spring AND a new mag release spring and go from there. Order the parts from either Gun Parts Corp or Fulton Armory and install them yourself so you don't have to ship a gun you really don't need to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top