Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2009 9:55:42 PM EDT
So how do I secure my items if I don't have a safe?

Can i lock it in a pelican case?

Can i lock it in a pelican case and leave it with someone that doesn't have keys?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You shouldnt have it if you cant store it safely.  WTF????
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You shouldnt have it if you cant store it safely.  WTF????

WTF yourself.

There is no legal requirement to store it safely, only securely.  AND that means if you live alone, you lock your front door when you leave.

That being said, if others have access to where you store your NFA items, a locked case meets the current ATF interpretation of "preventing unauthorized access".
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't have a safe????

I hope this is a bad joke.  If not Massive FAIL!

If your gonna leave town or somethin you could take it apart and put it in a large safe deposit box.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You don't have a safe????
I hope this is a bad joke.  If not Massive FAIL!

Could you cite the legal requirement for owning a firearms safe?

If not... Massive FAIL!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]
since when does one have to have a safe?

preventing access to it is the key, not "protecting it"

"protecting" your equipment from a fire in a safe is up to you, but is NOT mandated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a cable lock on the lower and put silencers in a tool box with a lock.  I'm not going to carry a safe around to the 3 places I live.  My life is complicated enough.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Its complicated?  COOL!!!!  You wont mind a little more complication then, if it gets stolen or something.  Right?  Dumbass post anyway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its complicated?  COOL!!!!  You wont mind a little more complication then, if it gets stolen or something.  Right?  Dumbass post anyway.

curious
what's the solution you propose to sp1shooter, given his circumstances?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy moly, this got ugly quick.

I don't own a safe because they are giant, ugly, ridiculous items.
I have no need for them - i'm not a bank.
If my stuff gets stolen I have insurance.
I keep my papers in a small lock-box.

Anyone know about keeping it in a locked box but storing it temp. somewhere out of reach? LIke at a bud's house?

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Hope they don't steal your lock box as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Personally I would just buy a nice big safe and bolt it to the ground. I would hate to have any NFA items stolen. But I suppose it is fine to just lock it in a pelican case for now since you don't have a safe. Or I do know some people who keep their suppressors in bank deposit boxes, so that's another option i guess.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:27:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never met anyone who had their home broken into....that sounds like something that happens to super-rich people and super-poor people in apartments and trailers.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#13]
this reminds me of a fellow shooter whose stuff was taken a few years back.  

everyone kept telling him to get a good alarm system.  he came back that he didn't need one .. he had the best safe money could buy.  well while he was gone on vacation, someone backed up a dually pick-up to the house and zipped it open with a chain-saw (around the safe) and flopped her over into the bed and drove off.
the cops were decent enough to go buy a couple sheets of plywood and nail it up to secure his house until he got back.

safe or not .. it won't stop a criminal from stealing your shit!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

everyone kept telling him to get a good alarm system.  he came back that he didn't need one .. he had the best safe money could buy.  well while he was gone on vacation, someone backed up a dually pick-up to the house and zipped it open with a chain-saw (around the safe) and flopped her over into the bed and drove off.
the cops were decent enough to go buy a couple sheets of plywood and nail it up to secure his house until he got back.

True, if somebody want's your shit bad enough they'll get it.  Whoever broke into your buddy's place knew what he had and came prepared.  However...a safe will stop most "common" burglars, the type that get in and out quickly.  They're there to grab whatever they can of value as quick as possible and get out. A 700+ pound safe bolted to the floor and properly positioned to aid against prying is a must in my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, if somebody want's your shit bad enough they'll get it.  Whoever broke into your buddy's place knew what he had and came prepared.  However...a safe will stop most "common" burglars, the type that get in and out quickly.  They're there to grab whatever they can of value as quick as possible and get out. A 700+ pound safe bolted to the floor and properly positioned to aid against prying is a must in my opinion.

I agree that a good safe will stop the common burglar.   What's always bugged me is that the common burglar will leave knowing I've got a nice safe.  Now he's going to call his buddy that owns the dually and a chain saw and come back when it's convenient.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]
ATF has written that it would be acceptable to use a lockbox or locked case, IIRC.  All these people saying you HAVE to have a safe are paranoid.  There is no legal requirement to have a huge, expensive safe, just to prevent unauthorized access.  That can be as simple as putting a locking knob on your closet door and keeping them all in there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend a quality safe, with adequate fire rating, and bolting it to the floor. There are also many other layers of security to consider...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I live on base, behind a perimeter. I leave my darn front door unlocked....get over yourselves and your safes.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top