Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2016 7:28:40 PM EDT
My son has joined the school Trap Shooting Team.  Singles and Doubles.  So, the wife and I are shooting with him on Sunday's practice days.  They both have new Benelli Super Novas.  He's still growing, so I liked the ability to change the LOP and adjustment the Super Nova offered.  Plus, since my wife is short at 5'2", I can abscond with the parts from her Benelli to use on the Boy's.  And the big shit can rack that Benelli damn fast, even faster than me.

I have an old, and I mean old, Mossberg 500 pump.  My wife makes fun of it.  That gun has shot more ducks and geese over the years, but she is butt ass ugly (the gun, not the wife gentlemen).  The wife saw some nice O/U there at the skeet range, , Browning Citori's etc...  Holy crap, I can build 4 AR15's for the money that goes into one of those.  No way in Hades am I spending that amount of coin on a shotgun I am only going to use three to four times a month at most.  Some of the single shot break opens were in the $8k range.  

She saw a Stoeger Condor Competition at Cabelas.  We know quite a few folks who have the Stoeger Coach guns and use them in Cowboy action shooting.  Read reviews out the wazzoo and watched I don't know how many videos on this gun.  It looks fairly legit.  

Anyone here have one and use it?  She wants me to get one for my Christmas gift.  I bought her an expensive as hell Nikon lens for her D5200 last year, so she feels like I got the short straw and is trying to make up for it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Stoeger O/U = POS

Would highly recommend getting something else as the Stoeger OU inertia hammer/sears suck balls to the point eventually if it doesn't out of the box.....either both barrels will fire together or only one will fire.

With OU shotguns you get what you pay for. Buy once cry once......
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The wood on my regular condor has cracked in 2 spots on the forearm, and there are a couple areas that are looking questionable on the stock. Aside from numrich, there is zero aftermarket for replacement parts & stocks. It's definitely not going to be an heirloom.

No trigger or mechanical issues yet. 1800 shells so far in the last year+ I've owned it. Casual clay shooter, haven't taken it out after quail or dove yet.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are shooting clay 3-4 times a month, you can easily justify a decent shotgun, IMHO.
I'd suggest you look at a good used Citori
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are shooting clay 3-4 times a month, you can easily justify a decent shotgun, IMHO.
I'd suggest you look at a good used Citori
View Quote

Cheapest used Citori I can found anywhere near here is $1600.00 bucks.

I only plan on shooting once, maybe twice a month at most.  I only get one weekend off every 6 weeks.

They do come with a 5 year warranty and are owned by Benelli.  So, I figured WTF.  Even the Cynergy is $1100.00.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend a Savage Stevens. I bought 3 of them used and really like them for the money. The wood on them much exceeded my expectation for the price range. There are a few on gunbroker for reference. Don't own a CZ O/U but looks like a possibility. I have read mixed reviews.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know what the street price on the Stoeger is---but they have brand new 870 Wingmasters around here for $679 (Lifetime warranty)

Why get a POS Brazilian or Turkish OU of unknown quality when that same money gets you a high quality American shell shucker that will last several generations?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Well,

We decided to take a look at some used ones, and some new ones.

I looked the Stoeger over from top to bottom.   Fit and finish was on par with the Legacy and the Mossberg.    

Went ahead and bought it.  Took it shooting this past weekend, not a single hiccup and patterned both barrels,  65/35 on the top and bottom barrel.  Pointed true.   Shot great.

I need practice that's for sure.  Wife shot for her first time, ever.  She used her Benelli.  Shot a 10 her first round and an 11 her second.  I shot a 13 and 15.  Second time I ever shot trap.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well,

We decided to take a look at some used ones, and some new ones.

I looked the Stoeger over from top to bottom.   Fit and finish was on par with the Legacy and the Mossberg.    

Went ahead and bought it.  Took it shooting this past weekend, not a single hiccup and patterned both barrels,  65/35 on the top and bottom barrel.  Pointed true.   Shot great.

I need practice that's for sure.  Wife shot for her first time, ever.  She used her Benelli.  Shot a 10 her first round and an 11 her second.  I shot a 13 and 15.  Second time I ever shot trap.
View Quote

Shooting trap is a lot of fun. The stoger is ok for a new occasional shooter but if you decide to keep shooting on a semi regular basis you will need to upgrade. The cheap import guns just dont hold up to the round counts that come fromshooting trap, skeet and sporting clays.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Shooting trap is a lot of fun. The stoger is ok for a new occasional shooter but if you decide to keep shooting on a semi regular basis you will need to upgrade. The cheap import guns just dont hold up to the round counts that come fromshooting trap, skeet and sporting clays.
View Quote

I agree.  This gun is to get me by for now and the foreseeable future.  I may only get to shoot twice every 6 weeks.  It's a chance to go shoot with my son and wife and help support the boy in his chosen sport.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a stoeger condor over and under. Shot great never had problems.
However i only shot 100 rounds a weekend for a year. I hear the wood is not that sturdy.
After the year realized i liked shooting trap and got a browning cynergy based upon looks.

Have you looked at tristar?

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#11]
find a used SKB or Weatherby Orion

you can find great deals on Gunbroker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top