Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 4/22/2007 12:59:53 PM EDT
Hello gents,

Picked up a cheap "1946" M-N Model 44 over the weekend. Overall it looked pretty good and like I said, it was "cheap".

Got her home and started to clean her up. Then I noticed that there is a very small split in the stock, in the wrist area. Starts at the rear of the trigger guard and goes back about three inches, towards the butt of the rifle.

Any cheap way to fix my cheap Model 44 ? ? ?

Thanks ! !

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:51:20 PM EDT
Yea...it's long, I'll try to shorten it. Go back about 1.5 inches from the trigger guard and about 3/4 inch up from the bottom of the stock and drill a small 1/32 hole about 3/4 inch into the stock, across the crack. Fill the crack with super glue, clamp it and screw a wood screw into the hole drilled into the stock about 1 inch, use a screw about 2" long. After everything dries cut the screw off with a Dremel and grind to the surface of the stock. It will look like a little brass dot at that point. Also, after the repair make sure the action is seated all the way to the rear of the stock and the front and rear screws are tight. Loose screws holding the action in allow it to slam back and crack stock.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:52:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cosmo05:
Yea...it's long, I'll try to shorten it. Go back about 1.5 inches from the trigger guard and about 3/4 inch up from the bottom of the stock and drill a small 1/32 hole about 3/4 inch into the stock, across the crack. Fill the crack with super glue, clamp it and screw a BRASS (not brass coated) wood screw into the hole drilled into the stock about 1 inch, use a screw about 2" long. After everything dries cut the screw off with a Dremel and grind to the surface of the stock. It will look like a little brass dot at that point. Also, after the repair make sure the action is seated all the way to the rear of the stock and the front and rear screws are tight. Loose screws holding the action in allow it to slam back and crack stock.
Top Top