Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 4:51:16 PM EDT
Well , due to a torn rotator cuff  {shoulder} , I need to get a new stock for my M1a Scout.

This is a rifle I have grown to be fond of in its original form, but I do need to lighten it up a bit and she needs a vertical foregrip.

It seems the selection in stocks are greater than ever , but still pretty limited.

This is how I have percieved them , please tell me if I am wrong, my decision will be based on what I here from you guys.

I never get to see these stocks in person.  Most of the people I shoot with are so "AR15 Happy" , thay cant even spell M1a ,  this boards input is needed.

To me it seems that :

Sage = functional, tough, hard to field strip,cheek weld alot lower vs. top rail, HEAVY.

Vltor/SA/SocomII = user adaptable , takes AR grips and buttstocks,well made,easy to strip,
?wieght?

Troy= machined aluminum, $795 wtf , nice cheekweld ,lightest of the bunch, avaliable soon

Remember , I am looking to lighted her up, and have at least a solid vertical foregrip mount.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Remember , I am looking to lighted her up, and have at least a solid vertical foregrip mount.

All of the stocks you list are going to be heavy @ 5 > pounds
IMO, the lightest would be a modified SAGE ALCS/CV - my custom LAW483 version is < 3.5 pounds.

It will accept the picitanny rail adaptor for a solid verticle grip mount.
The HOGUE buttstock has a thick rubber pad for comfort and has an ajustable cheek rest (not pictured)

HTH ~
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
As H20 said, I don't think you're gonna save weight with any of the listed stocks. Other than differences in barrell length and profile, there's not a lot of ways to lighten the '14. Most mods out there just add weight to a rifle already flirting with the upper limits of reasonable heft.With a Scout, you're pretty much at the lighter end of the range with the barrell already. If your Scout isn't already in a synthetic stock, you could get one and attach a short section of rail on the bottom of the foreend to mount your FPG, probably about the lightest solution you're gonna find.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If your Scout isn't already in a synthetic stock, you could get one and attach a short section of rail on the bottom of the foreend to mount your FPG, probably about the lightest solution you're gonna find.

I like this idea
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If your Scout isn't already in a synthetic stock, you could get one and attach a short section of rail on the bottom of the foreend to mount your FPG, probably about the lightest solution you're gonna find.

I like this idea

I have done that, it did not feel as sturdy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like this idea

I think the forearm would need some internal stiffening for this mod to work and that would add weight.

Good luck ~
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like this idea

I think the forearm would need some internal stiffening for this mod to work and that would add weight.

Good luck ~

Lately I have been getting a lot of requested for rails mounted at the front of the Forearm at 3:00, 6:00 or 9:00 o'clock. Even a couple mounted just foreward at 6:00 in front of the mag well which i assume is going to be used for a vert grip.

With the synthetic stocks I reinforce the forearm with 2 layers of Kevlar/Epoxy plus an additional layer where the rail/rails are positioned.

Karsten
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top