Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/18/2003 10:46:58 AM EDT
Anyone have an experienced opinion on the Steyr M9 pistol ?

I played with one at a gun show yesterday and really liked it's size and ergonomics . I have really not heard too much about them though . I do know that Steyr is a very reputable company but I do not know much about their pistol line ...

Didn't thees stop getting imported ? I think I remember hearing that they were either out of production or no longer being imported . Anyone have the facts on that...

Also , how do they stack up against similar models from other makers ? i.e - Glock ,H&k Walther ,etc.....

thanks fo any input

t
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:34:53 PM EDT
I have an M9 and love it...I am really fond of the trapazoidal sights. It's also nice to be a little bit unique, it's not another glock or usp (not saying there is anything wrong with either I own both).

As for the avaliblity that's a little bit up in the air, Steyr is currently in a state of flux having been rumored to be bought out by of all companies, BMW.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:37:01 PM EDT
I've seen Browning Hi Power high cap magazines modified to fit those also. I've held one, but never fired. Seemed great to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:51:49 AM EDT
Thanks for the input , guys ....

I guess I will not really know until I get a chance to try one....

t
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:42:49 PM EDT
I shot an M40 awile back. Want to know my honest opinion? This gun is 2003's "HS2000."

You might remember awhile back a few guys were all excited about an asian-made gun that was kinda like a Glock, a Sig Pro, and a 1911 all together. You could get em for under $300 all day long, but the gun didn't really get any respect. Then Springfield Armory bought out the maker of the HS2000, took that name off of it and called it the Springfield Xtreme Duty, and started selling it to cops all across the country. Oh yeah, they also jacked up the price by about $150. Owners of the HS2000 laughed all the way to the bank.

Right now you can get a Steyr M9 for under $350 shipped from CDNN. It has features RIGHT NOW that other manufacturers (with more presence in the US market) are going to "develop" in the coming years and sell to us at a premium. The grip angle is a bit weird, unless you really like Ruger .22s and 1908 Lugers, but the gun is very accurate, realiable, and ergonomic. Muzzle flip is minimal because of the low bore axis. Some people aren't sure about the triangular sights, but in real life they WORK. The front sight is a triangle, so its big and fat and re-acquires easily during fast shooting, plus for slow accuracy work you can use the tip of the front sight to aim VERY precisely. If you can sight a Mauser you can sight this pistol, so don't be scared just because the sights look like something from a Sci-Fi movie.

Steyr is having some problems with their US importer right now (Dynamit Nobel, they suck donkey balls)--what's to say they won't start importing the guns through another middleman who thinks the guns are worth $600? The HS2000 says its happened before.

Example of one for sale on Gunbroker, but CDNN beats this price.
www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9088261

A full review--better open a cold one, its a long read:

www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/steyr.m.htm

A better review, with photos showing all the different features.

dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/walk/gen55/dgca/steyr_m9.htm
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:25:57 PM EDT
Thanks _DUKE-NUKEM_

now that was helpful

much appreciated

t
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:17:14 AM EDT
mk_ultra, do you think you're gonna grab one?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:27:21 AM EDT
I am planning on getting my CCW ... and want to get a compact polymer frame pistol for that purpose , so far I have been thinkin' about Glock 23 vs. Walther p-99 , Then I came across the Steyr , I had read little about them in the past and they sounded good , but reputation is only part of what I look for in a gun , when I handled the Steyr it just felt "right" and to me that is probably the most important thing , I was looking for first hand experience to help me decide , ultimately , the best thing would be to get some trigger time.

The price is cheap right now , so that is why I wanted more info on availability...

Am I gonna buy one ? , probably not for a while , unfortunately , my financial situation is not what one would call healthy at this time and I have my sights set on a new rifle first and foremost....

t
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:53:28 AM EDT
Do they produce a model in .40cal?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:51:37 AM EDT
yep
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:54:31 AM EDT
Moondog they come in 3 flavors: 9mm, .357 sig, and .40S&W.

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9038551

"Buy it now" for $360. That's the same as a FN49 or a S&W Sigma, except that it DOESN'T SUCK. When was the last time Steyr made something that DID suck?
Top Top