Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 9:16:02 AM EDT

Is the Steyr Scout worth the $$$?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#1]
$$$ is only fiat backed by the government, the steyr scout is a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO, they aren't worth the $1300.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
$1300? They list for $2500 or more NIB.

You can buy something that does the same thing for a lot less than that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not even close. Better rifles abound for half or better the Steyr price. If it wasn't for the Jeff Cooper promo & connection, I doubt there'd be a dozen of them sold a year.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
You got questions...you want answers...talk to Fr. Frog aka John Schaeffer
a great guy...and scout officionado...email him he is pretty prompt about getting back..and does this just for the love of the rifle...
www.steyrscout.org/
Ive had one for a couple of years now...and really like it... The stock imo is unbeatable..the ten round mag is much more functional than any other readily available bolt action mag...not crazy about optics...but Ive got a 6X42 or a 4x Schmidt & Bender flash dot in mind after Ive sold some stuff to at least offset the cost...its a great brush gun..in either 243 or 308 its got a rail for a light...its very fast to point easy to carry...recoil managble great finish and just a fun rifle to shoot ..I dont like the rail not going all the way back but the new tactical elite version fixes that ..for a light wt. .308 or .243 rifle It cant be beat..pricey..yup but rumour is that is gonna to change under new management..Its accurate its fast its light its handy as all get out...and its made for adverse conditions...advice...If you are looking for a Lt. rifle get the tactical version with the improved bolt head and bolt finish...The tactical elite version will feature longer rail but heavier barrell...
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.  I like the rifle, it's just the price.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
All,

Any other good scout rifles that you would recommend?

raf,

Thanks for the recommendation of the Savage Model 10 Scout.

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Bic or Zippo? Seiko or Rolex? Savage or Steyr?  Both lighters will start a fire.  Both watches will tell time. Both rifles will put .308 ammo through the air and hit a target. In answer to your original question, the SS is one heck of a rifle.  $$$ is whatever the govt. Says it is, re: Argentina.  Get what you want and enjoy it, IMHO that's what all this shooting stuff is suposed to be about, isn't it?    
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
If it were $600, I might buy one.

For over a grand or two, though... Jeebus, get a Tikka or Sako.  Or buy a Savage 10 for every day of the week.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I had the oppurtunity to shoot one, kind of lightweight, but not noticeably different than my Winchester M70.  Accuracy was ok, but my M70 (which I shortened the barrel to 16", recrowned, and on which I threaded a muzzle brake) outshot it easily.  It's way overpriced.  I don't have a high opinion of Jeff Cooper to begin with, so his say on the rifle means absolutely dick for me.  For the same damn price you can have a good gunsmith build you up a personalized rifle that won't have that cheap assembly line plastic look to it.

The Steyr Scout is good, but not for that kind of cash.  It's not like the plastic AR prebans, it will most likely be available to the public for a long time, so the $2000+ pricetag is completely uncalledfor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

An interesting thread this - owning a Jeff Cooper Steyr Scout for a couple years, as well as a couple more I aquired along the way, as well as the Steyr SBS and the requisite Sako's, Remingtons and such to compare, and noting that street prices have varied from $2600 down to $1900 on a package, I would say they are worth every penny and then some!

The three brand new ones I aquired all shot under 1/2inch groups out of the box.  

The Ching Sling is ace - though this can be fitted to any rifle if you are willing to add the appropriate attach points.

The bipod is nice to have, but a bit redundant with the sling setup.  Also the front sling ring interferes, so you have to give ita twist to clear when deploying and then reseat it.  

Carry-ability is outstanding!  This is finest rifle I've carried season after season.

Optics - I'm sold on the setup, though I will admit I tried to convince Trijicon to build an IER with like the accupoint series with BAC design.  No luck unless I wanted to order the first run(s) and advance pay!

Have not fired the small cal. versions.  Do have a Tactical - pretty serious rifle, but not a serious sniper rig.

Heavy/Light Reticle - personal choice, I've both.

The Dragoon (.376 Steyr) is a beast - one of these will teach you whether you know how to hold and shoot a magnum class light rifle or not.  I've not grouped as well with my S/S in .376 as I have with a Steyr-SBS in .376 with conventional optics.  Still good enough for a hunt, but punishing.

best regards,

Clipper
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#13]
The Steyr Scout is light, accurate but ..too expensive..
A better alternative is this

This modified Enfield heavier..not as accurate..but it is CHEAPER and more reliable.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 1:53:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Steyr Scout is light, accurate but ..too expensive..
A better alternative is ... picts ...

This modified Enfield heavier..not as accurate..but it is CHEAPER and more reliable.

Nice work - very nice!

Why the focus on the $$$ though?  The work that went into these rifles was obviously of great value to the end result?  

Not everyone has the skills or time available to pony up the sweat equity to produce rifles like these.

I think your 'more reliable' comment has no basis though.

I'll keep my Steyr Scouts (and my Enfields - always loved them!).

regards,

Clipper
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:17:52 AM EDT
[#15]
CDNN has Steyr Scout's at (comparitively) bargain basic prices right now, but they appear to be running out.  It looks like they bought up all of GSI's inventory when they ceased to be the US importer, so when their gone, they are likely back to normal price - or at least they will be once the import situation gets straightened out.   The only models they have listed in their current SGN ad are the .376 Steyr (proprietary caliber that was pretty much a flop) for $989 w/o the Loopy optics, $1389 with.  .308 Tactical Scout $1499 w/o optics, $1899 with.  .243 Scout w/ black syn stock $1099, hardwood camo stock $1199, both without optics.  Of course, because of lead time, they may be out already.  Not great prices, but down considerably from a year ago.

However, the import situation makes things a bit iffy.  RWS/Dynamit Nobel is supposedly the new importer, but they ain't selling anything yet, and no one has heard any news in quite awhile.  Fr. Frog, as mentioned above, was in fairly close contact with their president for awhile, but last time I emailed him, he stated he was no longer returning his calls or emails.

I don't have a Scout, but rather an SBS tactical, and I broke an action screw when reattaching the stock (while it was still below recommended torque value...) and now I'm pretty much SOL.  The screw is unique (the bottom one that is tapped for the top 10 rd mag adapter for those who are familiar) and GSI has washed their hands of the whole situation.  The Steyr's were never horribly popular to begin with, so its not like anyone has a pile of them laying around.  So, my rifle is basically out of commission because of a single screw until RWS gets it act together.  So, while prices are Steyr stuff are low right now, there is a risk.

Rocko
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
They're very good rifles.

That doesn't make the pricing any less insane.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They're very good rifles.

That doesn't make the pricing any less insane.

You'd spend a fair shake more on a jobber out custom that truely met the level of the Steyr Scout.

I will tell you that the Dragoon (Steyr Scout in 376 Steyr) is a beast.  Most likely about the meanest rifle I've bench shot.  Damn accurate, but in 376 Steyr I'd lean to the SBS rather than the Scout (I've both).

The big-knob tactical is inferior to the original blade bolt-handle (I've both again) of the original Steyr Scout.  But the gun press convinced everyone that they needed the big old round knob even it other than when wearing winter gloves there is no real advantage.  I've heard all the bull about police/snipers prefering the big knob.  With the low duty cycle of a sniper's fielded rifle (carried much more than shot) the close in handle makes more sense.

The fine reticle is another bench-shooter gun magazine writer lead diservice.  They are absolutely correct to suggest the fine IER reticle is superior, but ONLY if your Scout is a fair weather off the bench rifle for you.

Drag it out into a jackpot swamp, with limits of weather and light - you'll want the standard 'heavy' reticle to take down that buck.

The Steyr Scout is a systematic 'tool approach' to a rifle.  Not perfect (my personal pet peeve is I hate the plastic wiz-wheel safety and would have a seperate bolt removal lock as well), but still a damn good tool.

Every one I've bought shot 1/2" groups (three round) out of the box with Hornady Factory Match ammo, except the 376, which I had a hard time with and had 1-1/2" groups mostly because it is such a pig to bench shoot.  

If your pocketbook is too light for Steyr Scout, then the SBS is a hell of choice.  I've taken one in .376 and mounted a Trijicon Accupoint (their conventionally packaged scope) and it is a hell of a field gun.  Again off the bench the optics are not target ideal - but on running game in field lighting - WOW!  One real game getter.

The focus on pretty guns and failure to understand real field guns is nothing new.  But the Steyr Scout sure seems to have attracted a lot of ill press without any real basis or experience by the nay-sayers.  

Of course these same folk poke fun at my Cooper-80 Pistol, that is until they see the groups it delivers out of a carry-package 1911A1 that is!!

regards,

Clipper

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top