Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2015 2:47:37 PM EDT
Had this rifle for a little while now, and quite like it, and the scope.  I have questions about the scope, and was hopeful someone here could help.  Apparently there still is no manual that mentions the 3X scope from Steyr yet.

1) There are 3 adjustment dials on this scope.  Elevation, Windage, and a third, more sedate dial.  What does that third dial do?

2) What is the default parallax of this scope?

3) What is the MOA of the circle in the 3X scope (not to be confused with the MOA of the 1.5X scope, which is well documented)?

4) This scope does not appear to be well adapted to most generic scope covers.  I don't like leaving glass exposed during storage or transport.  Any suggestions for best method to cover the scope?  I have been using the shipping inserts, but it is only a matter of time before those get lost, and they aren't really suitable for long term use.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Steyr calls it the "fixing screw". It holds everything in alignment.

2. Nothing has been published yet. I have the data sheet for the 1.5x if you're interested.

3. See below for the only data Steyr has put out on the 3x scope. I like yourself find the lack of information to be frustrating. Hopefully soon a full data sheet will come out.

4. Don't be lazy, engineer a solution, then become internet famous and make a bit of money.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
4) This scope does not appear to be well adapted to most generic scope covers.  I don't like leaving glass exposed during storage or transport.  Any suggestions for best method to cover the scope?  I have been using the shipping inserts, but it is only a matter of time before those get lost, and they aren't really suitable for long term use.
View Quote

Well, you can get replacement inserts from Pete, and I have a set which have been on (and off of course!) my A2 for some 20 years now, so other than losing them when they're off, I'm gonna say that they stay put pretty well....
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. Steyr calls it the "fixing screw". It holds everything in alignment.

2. Nothing has been published yet. I have the data sheet for the 1.5x if you're interested.

3. See below for the only data Steyr has put out on the 3x scope. I like yourself find the lack of information to be frustrating. Hopefully soon a full data sheet will come out.

4. Don't be lazy, engineer a solution, then become internet famous and make a bit of money.

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11081244_10153106018231259_7223990150441025499_n.jpg?oh=33e31bfa7c886c5a2944d0edcc953f3f&oe=56313B5C
View Quote

Thank for even that, which is helpful.  But this graphic isn't even representational.  The 3X scope circle does not look anything near as thick as they draw.  nor do they indicate the duplex thickness on the horizontal line.  Which makes you wonder if the graphic is even right at all!

Here's what it really looks like:

It seems like there are all kinds of reference marks you could use on this scope, to estimate ranges.  You have the circle diameter.  The inner distance from zero to the bottom of the circle.  The distance between the circle and the duplex thickness on the horizontal (Which almost looks like the width of a man at 200 yards... maybe?).  But the manual says nothing about this scope, or how to properly use it.

By the way, those are high power service rifle targets for 200 yards.  So the black is 12.56" diameter, and this is 200 yards (my nominal zero distance)
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe that the line drawing above is for the 1.5x reticle

Aiming/range finding is done the same for the 3x iirc...

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/STG_77/AUG%20OPTIC/Slide2_zpsbbf98a9b.jpg
View Quote

So... which diameter did they hold constant in their translation then, the inner diameter of the circle, or the outer diameter of the circle?  If they hold the outer diameter constant, then the 300 meter  1.6m height reference in the drawing doesn't really work, does it?  Or vice versa, since it looks like they try to use the outer diameter for some reasons (such as 12 mil, and the height of a mans torso at 100 m).
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So... which diameter did they hold constant in their translation then, the inner diameter of the circle, or the outer diameter of the circle?  If they hold the outer diameter constant, then the 300 m reference doesn't really work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/STG_77/AUG%20OPTIC/Slide2_zpsbbf98a9b.jpg

So... which diameter did they hold constant in their translation then, the inner diameter of the circle, or the outer diameter of the circle?  If they hold the outer diameter constant, then the 300 m reference doesn't really work.

I believe it's the inner. It would just need to be a straight doubling of the inner ring

For 0-300m just center the target in the reticle. For over 300m, put the targets feet touching the inner circle

And they use 1.8m for the man's height, not 1.6m

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's what it really looks like:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2507dxt.jpg

When hanging down bat-style from your knees off a tree branch?

But seriously - the way to go about this is to find out what that reticle subtends at a known distance.  

1 - Put up some paper and measure marks on it all the way across that will be visible through the scope.  Make it big enough so that the entire reticle can be captured upon the ruler/stadia you are drawing.  

2 - Measure it.  From the center crosshair to the inside edge of the circle.  I would also measure the full OD of the circle.

3 - Once you know that, you will know what the bottom/inside/outside edges of the circle subtends in either MIL or MOA.  

Suppose (for argument's sake, I don't know) that it winds up showing 11" from center to bottom inside edge of the circle.  

MILS:  11 / 3.6 = 3    -- We are now figuring out the angle.  

In that case the bottom inside edge would represent a 3 MIL hold over.  

Now look at the drop of your bullet in MILS.   Where do you find 3?  

Most likely it will be right around 425M for me (smk77@2700fps) but it depends on your bullet and velocity.  

Then go verify it.  

As long as you know what your bullets are doing, you will always be able to make sense out of the reticle by using it as a ruler to find the angle.  Can also be done for MOA.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top