Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2012 11:17:46 AM EDT
Do any of you run steel cased ammo through your suppressed ar?

With recent ammo prices I am considering running steel cased ammo for a while assuming I won't experience any serious issues using it. Let me know your experiences doing this.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#1]
No problem at all with my AAC M42K.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have. Wolf won't cycle my 11.5" without the can attached but it will cycle with the can on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I just need to pick up some steel cased stuff and give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I just need to pick up some steel cased stuff and give it a try.

Let me know....  considering the same thing
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as the suppressor is concerned, it's still just a copper jacketed bullet passing on through.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As far as the suppressor is concerned, it's still just a copper jacketed bullet passing on through.

+1. As long as your load is strong enough to stabilize the bullet, the can doesn't care.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot Wolf and Silver Bear and whatever cheap Russian stuff I can buy through my suppressed AR's with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a reloader so I don't shoot steel but as long as steel case wasn't key holing out of my barrel I would have no issues running it through a can.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I've put several thousand rounds of wolf, brown bear, and Tula through a YHM 5.56 Phantom and a SWR Trident on semi and full auto without any trouble. As long as the barrel is threaded properly and the unsuppressed bullets don't make oblong holes in the target you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I used the last 100 rounds of my buddy's stash of early 2000's production .223 Wolf. The can was ok but OMG my bolt looked like I shot 1500 rounds of cheapo wally world .22's through it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Not trying to bust bubbles, but I know AAC won't warranty steel ammo. :o
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Steel case or steel core bullets? I can't see how the cartridge case being steel would have any effect on the can. A steel core penetrator bullet, on the other hand, could wreak havoc on baffles & the end cap in the event of a strike.

Can you clarify your statement, please?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not trying to bust bubbles, but I know AAC won't warranty steel ammo. :o

Cite?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sorry I meant lead projectiles ammo. -_-' I don't know why I said steel case. That goes for reloads too. AAC don't warranty reloads.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Just shoot unsuppressed to make sure the bullets aren't key holing. Then shoot the can and ammo till you run dry. Some gun barrels ( twist rates, etc ) are sensitive to different brands of bullets or weights.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm a reloader so I don't shoot steel but as long as steel case wasn't key holing out of my barrel I would have no issues running it through a can.

I reload. Years ago, I loaded hundreds of green tip .223 rounds for a Remington varmit rifle. That gun shot 10 inch groups @ 100 yards! The bullets were shooting sideways!

The rifle twist was wrong for these bullets, so always check before shooting a new bullet thru a silencer. If that gun don't like what your feeding it, your going to wreck your silencer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I reload. Years ago, I loaded hundreds of green tip .223 rounds for a Remington varmit rifle. That gun shot 10 inch groups @ 100 yards! The bullets were shooting sideways!

The rifle twist was wrong for these bullets, so always check before shooting a new bullet thru a silencer. If that gun don't like what your feeding it, your going to wreck your silencer.

Think that's why AAC dont warranty reload ammo l.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I have shot a bit of steel cased/ steel jacketed through suppressed AR's. No issues, no problems for me. I would be sure to verify the bullets are stabilized at close and muzzle distance first. A friends' M4gery will send one brand of 55gr steel jacketed bullets full on sideways by 25 yards, one in four or five rounds would show this failure stabilize. The 62gr steel jacket or any copper bullets stabilize fine. That barrel does have a fairly high round count through it though.  
Quoted:
Do any of you run steel cased ammo through your suppressed ar?

With recent ammo prices I am considering running steel cased ammo for a while assuming I won't experience any serious issues using it. Let me know your experiences doing this.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Does Hornaday Steel Match count?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I always shot steel, I don't see why brass would be any better
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think that's why AAC dont warranty reload ammo l.

That has nothing to do with reloading, but with matching your ammo selection to the barrel you are using. Black hills M262 shoots just fine through a 1/7 barrel, but there is no way I'd try that ammo with a can on an original M16 barrel with a 1/14 twist since the bullet wouldn't stabilize.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:03:46 AM EDT
[#22]
It's primarily what I shoot due to its cost.  I've shoot a lot of steel case through my suppressed gun.  No problems so far
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top