Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 7:32:33 PM EDT
Been reloading .223 for a bit.  Wife started going shooting pistols with me and finally got her own xd .45 Tac.  Damn it's getting expensive to shoot!  I've been sitting on some .45 dies and have a bunch of brass so might as well get going on the reloads.  My questions for the masses.....  Standard large pistol primers for UMC brass?  How about a source for plated 230gr bullets?   Sigh... since I'm asking anyone have a favorite powder?  Sorry for all the questions but it usually takes me so long to research since I won't make a decision until I've about exhausted the internet on a given subject.  Hopefully I can save time and get going sooner with some good pointers from you guys.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Plated 230 grain is made by both Ranier and Barrys. Barrys I get from Graf and Son, 573-581-2666. Ranier through MidwayMailOrderUSA, 573-445-6363. Titegoup is my go to pistol powder. However for your wife's tactical XD I'd have to try 3.6 grains of Hodgdon's Clays... and so there's no confusion as to which make of Clays.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Appreciate it 1911smith.  I looked at the bullets (interesting design - hope they're as accurate as claimed), the Clays and some primers.  Gave me a nice starting place to get going.  This is going to pencil out nicely too I think.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What design???Your XD will feed hollow points, ball, and flat points. Will choke on swc types.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Bullseye powder, 5 gr.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of good powders out there for the 45 ACP, I have tried many of them and have found Magic with WST in all of my 45s, soft shooting and scary accurate.  Do a web search on WST in the 45 and you will find I am not alone.

As for bullets, if you want inexpensive get into shooting lead, I use Penn and Missouri lead bullets, accurate and inexpensive.  If you do not want to use lead, go with jacketed, they can be purchased for equal or less $$ than plated.

http://www.rozedist.com/
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Be careful if you're picking up .45ACP brass, some of it is being made with small primer holes. I was cruising along and my Dillon got stopped dead in the tracks

Blazer is the only one I can think of I've seen off the top of my head but there could be more.

I used bullets from Precision Delta and Hogdon Clays powder (be careful as there are a couple different types of "Clays").
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#8]
1911smith: Never mind on the design, I see it's standard ball.  The picture on Graf made it look odd and I had been up way to long already ...

Thanks for all the the tips, this site is a wealth of information.  I'll be reloading my bulk UMC brass.  Always picked mine up when done shooting at the gravel pit.   Probably have enough to last a lifetime.   If my numbers are correct roughly 1000 reloads from 14oz jug of powder?  All-in-all looks like reloading .45 will come in at roughly 50-60% of retail purchase.  Works for me.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Unique is also a good choice
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Watch out for any brass labled NT.  That stuff is all small primed.  You can reload, but will need a different load than your large primers.

I use titegroup and lasercast bullets.  I have had minimal leading with their bullets.  they make a round nose in 200 and 230 grain.  I've run their bullets out of a .44 mag much faster than a .45 would ever get with no problems.  Saves me a bit of money.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Blazer is the only one I can think of I've seen off the top of my head but there could be more.

I just reloaded 50rds of Blazer brass with LP primers. They're just fine. The flash hole is quite large, though.

OP, I use Unique with CCI large pistol primers and Laser cast bullets. Worked well for me so far, but I just started in the last month.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unique is also a good choice

+1

And it's cheaper than most powders.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just reloaded 50rds of Blazer brass with LP primers. They're just fine. The flash hole is quite large, though.

I don't know if what I found was recently manufactured or 10 years old but it was definitely Blazer brass and definitely small primered.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't know if what I found was recently manufactured or 10 years old but it was definitely Blazer brass and definitely small primered.

Gotcha. I think I bought one box of it a year ago at walmart and just got around to shooting it a month or two ago so I'm hardly an expert on Blazer Brass.

I think Winchester makes a Non-toxic round that's supposed to be small primered as well.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I've loaded with Autocomp, and it fires great.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I have WIN NT .45 brass. Both the WIN NT  and WIN NT +P brass have small primer pockets.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a bunch of Win NT and Speer .45 that is small primer.

Back to the OP's question, I really like Win 231 for 45... I have been wanting to try WST as I here its similar but burns cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Speer sitting on my desk that has a small primer - but not all Speer brass uses it.  I think it's some sort of low emissions setup to keep firing the round "safer".

I hand prime with my Dillon setup - so it at first I thought I had found a brass case that I had failed to de-prime...took a few looks at it to figure out it was the wrong primer size.

Bulleye with 4.3 grains with a 200 grain swc.  This is the old version of the powder - it's not quite as hot today as it use to be.

I picked up some Ram Shot / True blue - waiting on a part from Dillon before I can load some of this up.   I chose this stuff because I could not find my normal powder.

Brad

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top