Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2002 3:36:20 PM EDT
I am a 1911 addict when it comes to the .45acp, and can only imagine having a nice 1911 in 9mm for plinking (not CCW).

I know that the Star Model B and Super Model B are based on the 1911 design by John Browning, but how closely?  In other words, except for the barrel and magazines, how many of their parts are interchangeable with a 1911 .45?

First thing that seems different is that there doesn't look to be a grip safety.  What else?

Since these can be bought fairly cheap, I thought it might be fun to get one if I can "trick it out" like a nicer 1911 with Beavertail, extended slide lock, sights, thin grips, etc.

What can you tell me?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Notnig will interchange.  Besides the lack of a grip safety, it has a linkless barrel, a pinned trigger, pinned extractor, different grips, mag safety, etc.  I own a little Super B in 9mm and it's a great little gun.  I love all the Star stuff.

Balming
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one and like it a lot. The only downside is mine becomes a jam-o-matic when I use hollowpoints. Mine was an older one, curio eligible, but I don't know if the newer models handle hollowpoints better.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have one and like it a lot. The only downside is mine becomes a jam-o-matic when I use hollowpoints. Mine was an older one, curio eligible, but I don't know if the newer models handle hollowpoints better.

9x19 or 9x23Largo?  From what I understand the Star autos in 9x23 tend to be much less finicky than the 9x19's.  Then again, hollowpoint Largo isn't that easy to find (does CCI/Blazer still load it?)  That 4mm of case length doesn't seem like much but.....  

Re the Star B or Super B & 1911 parts:
Unless I'm mistaken the only things that will interchange between them might be holsters/mag pouches.  Same goes for the Argentine Ballistar Molina (a .45acp Star).  The trigger linkage is entirely different, the Star uses an external extractor etc.  
A Star B of some sort is on my short list of pistols to aquire next..probably in 9x19 though, I've got enuff headaches trying to find 7.62x25Tok for the Cz52 or 7.62x39R for the Nagant, don't need anymore ammo frustration.  Modern handguns leave me cold...I'd rather have a beat to hell Tokarev or well used Enfield revolver than a new Sig or M686 Smith&Wesson.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmmm...so it sounds like I'll just have to like it for what it is.

Any suggestions on a 1911 9mm that is cheaper to buy than, say, the Springfield (about $550 to $600)?  I'd prefer to stick with something that has interchangeable parts if I need to replace trigger, hammer, grip safety, slide lock, etc.  I'll probably end up with a Browning HP, but it's still not the 1911 (close...just don't like the slide safety, no beavertail, and the trigger usually isn't as smooth).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top