Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/6/2002 11:20:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2002 11:28:38 AM EST by scubadown]
Several weeks ago I got my first CMP M1 Garand. They are great people to work with and very friendly. My rifle is in beautiful shape, made in 1955, and seen little use.

What is the stamping on the stock, an impression right in the wood? It is an eagle with three stars on top, all surrounded by a border. Somewhat worn away.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:57:40 AM EST
It's the defense acceptance stamp.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:21:57 AM EST
Does't this stamp have a name? Starts with a "C"?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:37:30 AM EST
It's called a "cartouche", if I remember right.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:50:44 AM EST
The mark is a final acceptance mark.

Called a cartouche, for some reason, by some collectors.

This one is the late DOD acceptance mark. Same thing is on current M16A2, only it's white paint, not stamped into anything.

If you let me (us) know the serial number there's lots of information available on these. Barrel date is on the barrel in the op rod slot. Lock it to the rear and look for a data and maker's mark.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:54:06 AM EST
Both my Garand and 03A3 have these marks. The 03A3 has 6 or 7 differenet ones. Is there a place to find out what they mean?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:54:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/7/2002 4:57:43 AM EST by scubadown]
Thanks for the info. I will post the serial number tonight, when I get home.

Looked up cartouche and found this definition:

"A cartouche is a kind of nameplate. Ancient Egyptians used cartouches for kings, queens, and other high-ranking people in the kingdom. A cartouche consists of a number of different hieroglyphic symbols enclosed in a loop. "

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:59:12 AM EST
A cartouche is any original military DOD stamp markings on the stock.

Good info on M1 Garands below

Top Top