Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2003 2:28:29 PM EDT
I want one, and dont have the $5K plus budget for a FA version. Any options? Anyone ever make an AKM  conversion to look like one? Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Same problem here.  I'd love to have one, but it's not exactly high on the priority list of things I can afford.  I suppose you could dummy up an AK of some type to look close, but in the end it just wouldn't look right and you won't be satisfied.

No one makes a semi receiver as there really is no market.  There's only so many kits available, and once you're past that, you'd have to contend with mag cost, and above all ammo cost.  There's probably cases of the stuff sitting in storage in the former East Germany.  There was a bunch of it (and the guns) shipped to Africa oddly enough as aid to communist rebels.  A few years ago when the Algerians were killing each other on the news, I saw one guy toting one around.  It was a trip, but plain as day it was an MP/Stg-44/45.  I guess you use what you can find.

Building one would be alot of work.  I'd love to get ahold of one though.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
A joy to fire, with a cyclic rate much lower than the AK. Also, they are VERY diffrent internally than the AK. Making one look like the other would be all but impossible.

You need to see one, next to the other to see the huge diffrences in look, and construction.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if there are any blueprints available?  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet gun shot a FA one at the end of June.....I loved that thing. If you can get one get one if for nothing more than historical reasons.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 2:49:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot a MKb43(h) about two years ago and fell in desperate, romantic love with the gun. To my mind it is the end-all-be-all intermediate rifle. Well aware of the rate of fire, etc....a true thing of beauty. Very excellent sustained fire against point targets, an excellent support weapon for a Mg42 team. I think I may just end up building an AKM that incorporates some (h) features into it for shits and giggles...I need a full leignth gas piston though....
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 3:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I shot a MKb43(h) about two years ago and fell in desperate, romantic love with the gun. To my mind it is the end-all-be-all intermediate rifle. Well aware of the rate of fire, etc....a true thing of beauty. Very excellent sustained fire against point targets, an excellent support weapon for a Mg42 team. I think I may just end up building an AKM that incorporates some (h) features into it for shits and giggles...I need a full leignth gas piston though....

I know that feeling. First FA gun I ever shot was an HK MP5A2. I still want one really, really, really bad. But I want an M16 just as bad and the 16 is a little more in my price range. I may not be able to afford the MP5 but at least I get to shoot one often enough to keep the jonesin for one in check till that day down the road when i can afford to get one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top