Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2009 1:49:03 PM EDT
I had a "no powder" round today, luckily I noticed it and didn't shoot again.  I imagine I've put over a million rounds downrange and this is the first time for me, quite aggravating.  Anyway I have a bullet stuck halfway down the barrel of my primary carry piece (G19).  I've gotten advice from one person so far.

Should I just use a punch and tap it out?

I tell you I was a hard core wolf supporter but their reputation just took a hit with me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
A long time ago I went to the range with a brother-in-law, my Colt Python, and some .38 reloads bought from a gunshop.  Supposed to be high-quality reloads from someone local who did reloads for the shop.

The bro-in-law was shooting the Python and a shot sounded off.  Before I could get his attention he fired again.  Python was locked up.

Took the Python back to the gunshop (owner was a gunsmith) with the box of reloads.  He used a wood dowel rod and something to gently knock out the bullet stuck in the barrel.

Took the Python home.  Cleaned the barrel and noticed a ring inside the barrel, probably from the second bullet knocking out the first bullet (squib).  Went back to the shop and politely asked the owner about the ring and reloads and if anything should be done.  He politely said he'd send it to Colt for a new barrel.  Colt put a new barrel on it.

Long story, just to say maybe use a wood dowel rod and some hammer to tap it out?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep - wooden dowel will do the trick.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I'll do it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the bullet lead or jacketed? Jacketed bullet...good luck with a wood dowel rod.....

I'd use a brass rod as close to bore diameter as possible. Light taps with a hammer. link to brass squib rods, otherwise known as dammit sticks
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
A wooden dowel will work. If it's being stubborn, spray your favorite penetrating oil down the barrel and let it sit. I've only had one squib, thank God. It was with PMC 115 gr. in my Hi Power. Thankfully, the bullet was just pushed into the beginning of the rifling and wouldn't let another round chamber.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#6]
It's out.  The wooden dowel I got was destroyed, but it was a little small for the job.  I ended up using a lag bolt in hardened steel.  It wasn't to hard.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one ...it was a Speer PD load in my S&W 442 .... 38spec .... used a wooden dowel..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top