Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2015 12:03:33 PM EDT
I was looking at buying the Manix 2 xl at my lgs until my eyes spotted the Tatanka .
It was love at first sight and my first thought was to buy it right there and then, but decided to do a little research first. Everything I've read and seen online and YouTube points to a very well made knife.
It just feels good and solid, plenty of room on the grip and nice hefty feel. Now this isn't going to be an edc blade, just something to have while hiking and camping. Oh, I'm glad I didn't buy it at the lgs because they had it marked at $319 and online sales average out at about $195.

Do any of you guys have one, thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one, but I have a G10 Police and the construction looks identical to me.  They're also both Japanese (Seki City) made knives, so they come from the same shop.  

If they're anything like my Police, they're tip top.  You must have big pockets.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Only very.recently hit the market, you will need to be the beta tester.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Spyderco. VG10.  You can't go wrong.  Looks huge like the guy it's named after

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have one, but I have a G10 Police and the construction looks identical to me.  They're also both Japanese (Seki City) made knives, so they come from the same shop.  

If they're anything like my Police, they're tip top.  You must have big pockets.
View Quote

Lol, I carry the stainless gen 2 Police every day and love it (also made in Seki-city ). I wear relaxed fit jeans with generous pockets but the Tatanka will mainly be worn in a roomy cargo pants/shorts pocket. Gaww, you gotta handle one!
Check out the YouTube videos and look at the size. It also features a new locking system.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Only very.recently hit the market, you will need to be the beta tester.
View Quote

I guess I will. I'll probably order it this weekend. Heck, I'll buy it at my lgs if they'll give me a good price.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]

For me, that's a little too large for a folding knife.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Luckily for you they make little ones too.

I like big folders, and Spyderco has not in the past made enough of them. I pretty much refuse to carry one that has under 3.75" blade with the exception of an SAK.

I guess I'm a different kind of knife snob
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

I know, and I have plenty of full tang blades, but I want something that I can carry while hiking without scaring other hikers.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like big folders, and Spyderco has not in the past made enough of them. I pretty much refuse to carry one that has under 3.75" blade with the exception of an SAK.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice. I'm kinda the same way. My first serious carry was a Police model, lost it, carried a Delica, lost it, carried a SOG Pentagon II (or was it a Pentagon? ), sold it to my buddy and bought an Endura II because I like the feel of all stainless. Lost it while 4-wheeling, now carry a mint Police GEN II.
Plus, the Tatanka blade looks cool as hell! And oh, my lgs wouldn't give me a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice. I'm kinda the same way. My first serious carry was a Police model, lost it, carried a Delica, lost it, carried a SOG Pentagon II (or was it a Pentagon? ), sold it to my buddy and bought an Endura II because I like the feel of all stainless. Lost it while 4-wheeling, now carry a mint Police GEN II.
Plus, the Tatanka blade looks cool as hell! And oh, my lgs wouldn't give me a good deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I frequently carry a SOG Spec Elite II, so the size of the Tatanka doesn't concern me at all. That SOG by the way, is a smooth rig, the ARC Lock works very well, is positive and the blade swings freely for one handed use.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Want.  

I like big folders but I also carry a tiny work knife like a Dragonfly for everyday tasks.  The large folder is defensive/backup.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:04:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I frequently carry a SOG Spec Elite II, so the size of the Tatanka doesn't concern me at all. That SOG by the way, is a smooth rig, the ARC Lock works very well, is positive and the blade swings freely for one handed use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I liked carrying my SOG. Didn't feel too big and had a smooth action. I was looking at pics online forgot just how big it really was, lol.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Want.  

I like big folders but I also carry a tiny work knife like a Dragonfly for everyday tasks.  The large folder is defensive/backup.
View Quote

Dragonfly is sweet a blade. I just love Spyderco blades. I'm trying to justify ordering the Tatanka, also the cheapest I've found it is 185 bucks but they're out of stock. Debating on getting it somewhere else and just eating the 10 buck difference or wait for them to restock.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

the only reason I don't carry larger knives than 3.5 is that they lose the legal designation of "pocket knife" and become a weapon.  I wish it was like TX and 5" or something similar.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#15]
TEXAS law has a 5 1/2" restriction. Although here in San Antonio the laws are a little more restrictive, but rarely enforced.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
TEXAS law has a 5 1/2" restriction. Although here in San Antonio the laws are a little more restrictive, but rarely enforced.
View Quote

Isn't it no locking blades or something like that? Yeah... I ignore that crap when I visit San Antonio.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Isn't it no locking blades or something like that? Yeah... I ignore that crap when I visit San Antonio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. No locking blades. But I don't know of anybody that carries one ever getting grief for it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Buyer beware buying knives on the Bay.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Buyer beware buying knives on the Bay.
View Quote

Yeah, I saw that and my Spidey sense tingled, lol. I've been reading about the fake Spydercos and am leery of buying from eBay.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Double check, but I think you are OK outside of SA, but I bet a lot of TX cops would think differently. Wouldn't keep me from carrying it, but I'd prepare myself for hearing all sorts of shit if anyone, with or without a badge, saw it. Until recently, if you wanted a giant folder, Cold Steel was pretty much the only game in town, but maybe that's going to change. Hopefully so. I'm digging some of Cold Steel's styles, but I'm lukewarm about their blade steel choices.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Spyderco Szabo & Benchmade Contego

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I have seriously considered getting a Tatanka but I just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Its nice to see spyderco coming out with a more solid knife. Looks like this will be a beast that slices like a spyderco too. This new lock may be the next hit for spyderco. They are saying it may be as strong as the axis.I bet it carries pretty good. I'd carry it for sure.

With big knives, for me its never the size when carrying it that bothers me...Its the scaring of people when it gets pulled out. I carry a leatherman so I always resort to that if I have a biggie on me and I fear women and children may scream.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://i60.tinypic.com/ay6elx.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2q1h307.jpg
View Quote

That szabo is really neat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Double check, but I think you are OK outside of SA, but I bet a lot of TX cops would think differently. Wouldn't keep me from carrying it, but I'd prepare myself for hearing all sorts of shit if anyone, with or without a badge, saw it. Until recently, if you wanted a giant folder, Cold Steel was pretty much the only game in town, but maybe that's going to change. Hopefully so. I'm digging some of Cold Steel's styles, but I'm lukewarm about their blade steel choices.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not too worried about carrying a lock blade here in San Antonio. I don't hang out at shady places, bars and stuff. Even during fiestas and other functions downtown I carry a blade with no worries.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, that Szabo looks very no nonsense. What's the handle material?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:33:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its nice to see spyderco coming out with a more solid knife. Looks like this will be a beast that slices like a spyderco too. This new lock may be the next hit for spyderco. They are saying it may be as strong as the axis.I bet it carries pretty good. I'd carry it for sure.

With big knives, for me its never the size when carrying it that bothers me...Its the scaring of people when it gets pulled out. I carry a leatherman so I always resort to that if I have a biggie on me and I fear women and children may scream.
View Quote

Same with me about scaring people, lol. Every time I whip it out without fail, a female will go: "ooh, that's a big knife!" or " ooh, scary!" whereas a guy will always go: "damn, cool knife!"
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's carbon fiber and G10.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that's really cool. I'm just starting to sharpen my blades. How hard is it to sharpen blades with big bellies like that?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Wow, that's really cool. I'm just starting to sharpen my blades. How hard is it to sharpen blades with big bellies like that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wife got me a Worksharp 2 years ago.

Belt sharpeners are so easy. Just set up the guide and pass it through a few times.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Thanks. I'm gonna look them up.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top