Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2005 7:36:39 AM EDT
This is my Springfield M1A factory walnut stock. What's wrong with this picture?

You know, things like this piss me off. I've had my M1A out of it's factory stock for some time so I haven't had to look at this, but I recently switched back. Talk about non existant quality control. How could Springfield let a rifle leave the factory with this plainly visible defect in stock to receiver heel fit? I can't believe I paid over $1,300 dollars for this rifle!
So now what? Does anybody have a contact at Springfield who could make good on this? Anybody else deal with this issue in Springfield M1A stocks?
Fuming
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Simply call SA customer service, describe your issue, and see what they say.

I've had 2 M1A related issues where I used Springfield customer service.

1) Bought used M1A,  gas cylinder lock REALLY loose, other couple small issues. Called customer service, mailed it in. had it back home, fixed, in 9 days. Of course no charge.

2) Picked up another used M1A. Trigger group was TIGHT in receiver. Other grigger groups fit fine. It was a commercial part. Called SA, shipped in back to them. ~1 week later, had an HRT trigger group in possession. No charge.

Note these were BOTH used guns that were completely covered by Springfield's customer service.

So before you get yourself MORE upset over a somewhat minor issue, do what you should have done when you first noticed it. Contact Springfield.

BTW, how does the rifle shoot? You have been shooting it, right?

I have my standard M1A in a USGI wood stock right now as my USGI synthetic is being painted. I think it has a similar gap as yours. I'll look at it tonight. The gun shoots like crazy in either stock, so I could care less.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think it's a big deal.  If the rifle works.  If you have to hold it up to a strong light at just the right angle to see it, is is really a defect.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is my Springfield M1A factory walnut stock. What's wrong with this picture?
images.snapfish.com/3433%3B%3B%3A%3B23232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3246%3E857%3E%3A%3B%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323288446%3B677nu0mrj
You know, things like this piss me off. I've had my M1A out of it's factory stock for some time so I haven't had to look at this, but I recently switched back. Talk about non existant quality control. How could Springfield let a rifle leave the factory with this plainly visible defect in stock to receiver heel fit? I can't believe I paid over $1,300 dollars for this rifle!
So now what? Does anybody have a contact at Springfield who could make good on this? Anybody else deal with this issue in Springfield M1A stocks?
Fuming

Was it like that when you received it or did it warp or shrink when it was off your rifle?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#5]
The stock was as it is now when I bought it. It is considered a defect as the receiver heel is supposed to have good contact with the stock.
The rifle shoots well in a synthetic USGI stock, which is what I've had on it since I bought it. A rifle that a company sells for over $1,300 is not supposed to have plainly visible defects in workmanship.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a very common DEFECT in recently produced M1a rifles.

They know it is not right but they ship them anyway.

Does your trigger group have the correct tension?

If not your rifle will not shoot well.

Trigger group tension is supposed to pull the rear of the reciever heel down tightly against the stock.

Don't let ANYONE including some moron at SA INC tell you this is not a defect.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't think it's a big deal.  If the rifle works.  If you have to hold it up to a strong light at just the right angle to see it, is is really a defect.

This is not an AR-15 where visible light between upper and lower receivers is normal. There is not supposed to be a visible gap between the receiver heel and the stock.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#8]
It is a defect and you should have SA inc. fix it for you. This is something I would not be surprised to see on a worn out $300 CMP greek RG M1, but not a $1300 M1A.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Update
I just got off the phone with a nice lady over at Springfield Armory. She stated to me in plain terms that a visible gap between the receiver heel and the stock is acceptable and normal to Springfield Armory and is not considered defective. She further stated (after consulting with another person and putting me on hold twice) that I could, at my expense, mail my rifle to Springfield Armory where they would look at the rifle. If SA felt that there was nothing wrong with the rifle (she just finished telling me that there's nothing wrong with my rifle) I would be responsible for paying for return shipping of my still unsat, unrepaired rifle. Wow.
Usually I like to get kissed before I get fucked. I'm not happy with Springfield Armory right now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, That says a lot for keeping the customer happy
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow that does suck! Normaly SA is right on the ball with customer service but looks like this time they have dropped the ball.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Just checked my M1As. All stocks make contact with the reciever heel, but you can see a slight line further forward where the selector cutout is.

DOW, if your rifle shoots good with the USGI stock in place, all is not lost. Most people think these are superior stocks anyway.

How does it shoot with the wood stock? Any noticeable loss in accuracy? Other than cosmetics, this is the heart of the matter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Not a GI stock. Wenig maybe? Definitely not USGI. No cutout - thats the reason I picked the version without a GI stock. I regret that decision now.
My rifle is stock number MA9102 "Walnut stock". MA9101 "Collector GI NW Stock"  is a different version which comes with the GI stock. My version is $100 more. Damn.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Just wrap a piece of electrical tape around it and stop whinning.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#15]
It's probably a Boyd's stock.  If you want a nice piece of wood, get a USGI wood stock.  Have someone good fill in the selector cut.  Or go with a stock from Fulton Armory, the one without the selector cut.  I got a USGI stock and sold the takeoff stock to someone who wanted it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Update
I just got off the phone with a nice lady over at Springfield Armory. She stated to me in plain terms that a visible gap between the receiver heel and the stock is acceptable and normal to Springfield Armory and is not considered defective

It is considered defective on a USGI M-14. It is considered a defect to anyone that builds custom M-14 type rifles.

It is considered a defect by anyone that knows and understands the M-14 type rifle design.

It was also considered a DEFECT by SA INC about two years ago when the replaced several recievers because of this exact same problem.

This is just another example of the poor quality control they have today.

This was a defect two years ago but it is "acceptable" today.

The next time you call them ask to speak to Dale Rader.

He knows this shit is not right and if he refuses to fix it then you are SOL.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Too much backlighting , no fill flash ,  as for the stock it's looks like
the steel insert wasn't mounted low enough in the wood .

Sure Id be a little pissed , but with the price and availability of
M-14 stocks . It not that big of a deal . Besides I like the synthetic
stock better then the wood , but that's just me
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

..........but that's just me

Yeah...we have seen the "stuff " you call acceptable!

I agree on the stock...The only ones that look right are the synthetics and the surplus with all the handling dings and scars.

MT
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The stock was as it is now when I bought it. It is considered a defect as the receiver heel is supposed to have good contact with the stock.
The rifle shoots well in a synthetic USGI stock, which is what I've had on it since I bought it. A rifle that a company sells for over $1,300 is not supposed to have plainly visible defects in workmanship.

You are correct. This is unacceptable and sadly enough, par for the course at Springfield Armory these days. I have abandoned all hope for that company.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#21]
A couple of years or so ago it was a reciever problem that was causing this. They would not fit into ANY stock and they had zero trigger guard tension and no downward pressure on the barrel.

They shot terrible.

The Garand and m-14 type standard rack rifle must have downward pressure on the barrel before they shoot well.

The tension of the trigger guard pulling the rear of the reciever heel against the stock is part of the bedding of the rifle and the way downward pressure is applied to the barrel.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Its a free floating walnut stock.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top