Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2002 5:22:51 PM EDT
Went to the show at the Cow Palace today. (I have never seen so many knives at a gunshow ever in my life!) As usual I stopped to look at every M1A in the building, just dreaming and lusting. Now I've really got the fever.

I've gotta' get one.

I've narrowed it down to four choices.

The "Standard" model, blue/walnut stock.

The "Loaded" model, blue NM barrel/walnut stock.

The "Scout" model, blue/walnut stock.

The "Bush" model, discontinued now AFAIK, but I found one with blue/Mossy oak synthetic stock. Very cool. It's essentially a Scout Squad model without the forward scope mount, which I have heard bad things about.

I can't make up my mind. Long barrel/short barrel, loaded/standard, etc. Heck, I don't even really know if I want a walnut stock or a synthetic.

Would someone please make up my mind for me?

Edited so many times for so many different reasons.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one either----yet. I'm into "comfort" so I was thinking synthetic stock because those come with a rubber pad instead of the metal GI buttplate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the loaded. I was at the gun show looking for a standard and lucked onto this one at a price to good to pass. Still going to get a standard to keep this one company
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the USGI buttplate to the rubber one which seems to hang up on my clothing all the time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got an older collectors grade model. Basicly a standard GI model with a walnut m14 stock. (selector cutout)

The Bush gun is one sweet piece. That would be my first choice in a hearbeat. Dam.... I'm going to get on of those stocks for mine come hunting season.

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Oddly enough these are different rifles ...

What ya' gonna shoot with it?

How big are you? Do you feel comfortable with a 12 pound rifle?

It's simple to change out the stocks for between $10 and $250. Mine came with the collector's grade walnut military style stock but it's too pretty to take out and beat up shooting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Tough choices there. I've got the "loaded collecter" version from a couple years back(GI M14 stock and NM trigger and sights). Of your choices, I'd go with either the standard blued/walnut or the camoed Bush. Then upgrade the trigger and sights to NM specs. The trigger in mine is sweet for a factory military type. But you will become an addict. Nothing like the looks, feel and balance of an M14 type. And going "BOOM" when everyone else goes "pop" is great. And the sound of the action as you open and close it is ....uh, I gotta go take a cold shower now. Can you tell I like the M1A?
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the standard m14 from springfield armoury and it is the best rifle ever made in my opinion. I have never had one problem with it. It shoots every type of 308 i run through it. The only thing that sucks is the usgi mags are really exspensive. I have about 30 mags for my rifle i plan on buying another one in the near future.

when in doubt empty your magazine
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I know the feeling.

I've had the mags for years....

I'm expecting some money later this month so I plan to buy one then.

I'm considering either the "loaded" model or having one built by Fulton Armory. I just don't know if I can justify the expense of the Fulton Armory one though.

Regardless, I *Will* get the "coffee" laminated stock from Fulton. I just love that stock. Fajen used to make an identical stock years ago and I regret not having got one then.

Hey Paul,
What kind of stock is that you have on yours?? I've never seen that one before, looks interesting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Misterhemi, I did the same thing. I have a big box of USGI M14 20 rd mags in the closet. I have wanted one for a very long time.

I can handle a big rifle. Of course short and light is always good. As to the question of use, the rifle is for range use only, usually 100 yards.

Do I need it? No.

I'm getting one this year.

That camo'd bush rifle is looking better and better with every passing second.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a fun rifle. I've shot my friends.

One was a loaded model and it shot very nicely. The other was an older basic model with the wood G.I. stock.

The metal butt-plate on that one hurt me more than my 300Win Mag. I was shooting prone.

It just caught me in the right place - I was hurting for a while.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a "Loaded" with the walnut stock and carbon barrel and am now considering getting a standard w/ the fiberglass stock just because I'm afraid to bang up that nice walnut.

I don't expect as much accuracy from the standard because of the four-groove chrome-lined barrel, but by the same token chrome-lined with a fiberglass stock is better for SHTF.

Anyway, if you go with the standard, you will probably want to replace the stock. The ones I saw were pretty cheesy.

And the sound of the bolt slamming home really is music to the ears.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#12]
About a year and a half ago I picked a pre-ban standard that may not have been shot, it was beautiful. I had never held much intrest in the M14/M1A, but after getting (and getting rid of) an AR10 and next a FAL (kept it) I got the M1A . I shot it in DCM matches and have been amazed at how well it shoots with the standard iron peeps. I can and do hit the target at 200+ yards. Off the bench I have shot sub-moa many times (though not everytime) with this standard rifle, so I'd not bee to worried about the accuracy, I shoots much better than the AR10 I had and the mags work perfectly and can be had for $35.

Is there a forun for the M14/M1A now that the Gun & Knife forum is gone? We need a m14.com or M1A.com or a M14/M1a.com.....

Bill
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Try www.jouster.com
Some VERY knowledgable M1 & M1A people there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top