Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 9:15:42 AM EDT
Recently purchased a Springfield Armory M1A National Match. In the case was a "Loaded" coupon for various accessories that I could use to purchase items at a significant "discount". I bought the bipod that was offerred. It was listed as $160 retail and, with the coupon, I could have it for around $106.
The bipod arrived today. In looking at it I note the markings are "U.S. W.M.I. BIPOD RIFLE M2"
I started looking around on the web and it looks like the same bipod (same markings at least) is routinely selling in the $36-$60 range. Did I just get hosed by Springfield Armory? If so I am not a happy camper. Spent tons of dough on the rifle and then I get a "deal" like this? Somebody tell me I am wrong on this. Hate to believe I am getting taken by SA.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one too , let me see what mine says .
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay , I just looked at mine and it says the same thing , I didn't buy it from SA.

BUT If I remember right I paid around $50
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never used it though , out on a Harris .

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn...this makes me mad. Live and learn. My opinion of SA is plummeting by the moment. We pay incredibly high prices for their  firearms and then they need to get whatever is left over by inflating their accessory prices.

Beyond that...sweet looking set up. I have one of the piccatiny rail adapters for the forend...bought it from Fulton Armory. Bought it to be able to use a Harris Bipod. I became concerned about disassembling the rifle to install the rail as my rifle is bedded and the literature accompnying the rifle is full of warnings about screwing up the bedding if you take the rifle apart. Your tactical model is bedded correct? How did you install a sling swivel? Or was it standard on your model?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes mine is bedded , and to be honest I didn't want to mess with the bedding
removing the standard sling mount they come with to install a swivel.

Not so much that I was concerned with the bedding , you can be careful with that and if need be rebed it.

I was more concerned about the stock removing that sling mount, these stocks on the M21 TAC
cost so much that I decided to send it to SA and they did it for a pretty cheap price.

I don't remember how much but it was under $50 I think with parts included.

I figured if they mess it up no problem they replace the stock , piece of mind really.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The GI bipod is made for full auto fire where accuracy is not that paramount. On a NM rifle, the GI bipod will change your zero by as much as 2" at 100. Because it mounts on the gas cylinder, it puts pressure on the barrel and changes the barrel harmonics tremendously.
For the best accuracy with a bipod, it must be mounted on the stock where it puts NO pressure on the barrel.
A GI bipod will have a government procurement number on it. The Chinese knock offs do not.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Springfield's far from the only one with high priced(overpriced) accessories. Lots of other firearms manufacturer's are the same way.
If your looking for an accessory or part for your M14 or M1A, ask us here or on the M14 forum first.
As for the price of an M1A, sorry but if you think it's overpriced than take a look at the competition. Starting prices for a basic rack grade commercial M14 from anybody else like LRB, Smith, or Fulton are well above SA's and aren't neccessarily going to do anything more or better. You'll hear people talk usgi this and usgi that bullshit all day, but there's nothing to really base them on being better on average more than just someone's opinion and there's a very large amount of very happy M1A owners.
Atleast with an M1A you'll get a lifetime warranty which in the long run, makes it a much better deal for your money than another commercial M14. Just don't buy accessories straight from a manufacturer unless you know it's a good deal.

My suggestion if you want a good bipod setup is to go Harris or if you want something a little more modern, than mount a Versa-pod swivel rail or another picattiny rail option and buy a nice Versa-pod, GG&G or Tango down bipod to attach to it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all for the good advice. If a govt. procurement number makes the bipod legit then I got screwed because mine does not have a number on it. So much for the "discount" from SA. I paid almost 3x what I could get this piece of metal for on the web. Live and learn.
The Harris is the way I want to go and I think I will send the rifle in to SA to have this done as I don't know a smith I trust enough to do this work.
I now have a screaming deal for anyone looking for a MA2 bipod This is an "authentic" Springfield Armory bipod straight from their "warehouse of authentic stuff for M1As" All bids will be considered! Never mounted! Pristine condition! Only out of the package for about 10 hours!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks all for the good advice. If a govt. procurement number makes the bipod legit then I got screwed because mine does not have a number on it. So much for the "discount" from SA. I paid almost 3x what I could get this piece of metal for on the web. Live and learn.
The Harris is the way I want to go and I think I will send the rifle in to SA to have this done as I don't know a smith I trust enough to do this work.
I now have a screaming deal for anyone looking for a MA2 bipod This is an "authentic" Springfield Armory bipod straight from their "warehouse of authentic stuff for M1As" All bids will be considered! Never mounted! Pristine condition! Only out of the package for about 10 hours!  

How much u want for it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget.. there are the Taiwan made bipods that are more expensive than the chicom, cheap ass copies. The Taiwan made ones do cost more and are better made, but they are nothing like the real GI obnes though... for $160, you probably got the Taiwan made one... over priced? yes, but not too bad, as you got it from SA Inc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Uh, no problem return the substandard merchandise.  If you paid by CC you're backed if they quibble.  I'd get my money back.

A lot of manufacturer's will "hose" you by selling you stuff at sug retail or slightly discounted below that.  they do that to 1. fuk you out of some money and 2. show support for the dealers that carry their products cheaper than the factory will sell it to you for.  They cash in on people that must have it from them.

I recently found the same with another M14 parts maker.  I thought I was getting a deal via a groupbuy.  Found the same item 8 or 9 dollars cheaper(39 vs 31 bucks) at brownells.  I'll never buy straight from a maker without making sure it's the best price.  Live and learn.

Also your springfield inc. mags are nothing more than CMI mags.  Get them at 44mag.com at about 1/2 the SAInc price.  They're the current genuine GI supply item.  Another poster poo poo'd GI parts, well GI mags>>>>>>aftermarket mags.  All day long, you can play with usa mags or taiwainese mags or other mags and practice clearing jams.  Not all the time but enough to notice.  Other parts such as gas cylinders and op rods will probably be just fine for the life of your weapon.

one man's thoughts for $0.04 (adjusted for inflation)
SoS
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Another poster poo poo'd GI parts, well GI mags>>>>>>aftermarket mags. All day long, you can play with usa mags or taiwainese mags or other mags and practice clearing jams

+1 mags are the exception. At current there really isn't another choice for good running mags beside CMI (current usgi manufacturer) and real vintage usgi. (lots of fakes out there).

It does look like CProducts will be stepping up to plate on that and be putting out a modern stainless M14 in the future though.

Poopooer out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Fair enough!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/carbinerifle/Picture010.jpg

Thats a nice stock Tracker, you make that?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/carbinerifle/Picture010.jpg

Thats a nice stock Tracker, you make that?

No, got it from SA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top