Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2002 4:36:50 AM EDT

1 is fake (Classic Army Airsoft gun), the rest are real.  ***DON'T READ THE ANSWERS BELOW** until u've come to a conclusion!!!  'cause some SHARP members already hit the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Left to right #'s 3 & 4 are set for rock'n'roll.  Front sight on #1 ain't right.  And the trigger guard on #1 looks funny but it could be the angle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm saying the third one, judging by the safety.  Damn impressive and I could very easily be wrong!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Third from the left, the one missing a gas-tube.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
My guess is that it is the 2nd from the right.  The roll mark on the mag-well looks different from the others that are visible and the flash suppressor crush washer looks somewhat more polished than normal.  The receiver color also looks a bit off compared to the others.

Let me know how I did.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]
dayum, some of ya'all are SHARP!!!  3 of u got it right (so far).
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#6]
i was going to guess the one on the left, with the maker's tradmark blocked by the sling, but theyre all pretty near identical. but i'll have to go w/ mr_wilson and yojimbo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Third one
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The brass peel washer is a dead give away. John
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i was going to guess the one on the left, with the maker's tradmark blocked by the sling, but theyre all pretty near identical. but i'll have to go w/ mr_wilson and yojimbo.

I was thinking along the same lines as lurker about #1, but in looking harder, I see some differences on #3, which aren't definitely an indicator, but differences none the less.

Looking at the MFG info stamp, the lines of text appear the same on #1, #2, & #4. Also, the pistol grip is a little different where the grip meets the receiver. Number 3 has two parallel tapers going from the checkering up to the receiver, where the others have a smoothed out radius. That gold washer on the FH looks different than the others too. It has a screw head where the others have front push pins also.

Either way, that is one heck of an airsoft, whichever it actually is. My vote is also #3 though.

Edited: "smooted" ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Mike

SOOO obvious, once pointed out!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

SOOO obvious, once pointed out!

Oh yeh, and M4's don't have screwed-on uppers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#13]
hmmm I need to photoshop that out! ;-)  that makes #3 stand out unnecessarily...  but the (lack of) gas tube observation is by far the BEST indicator...

Quoted:
The brass peel washer is a dead give away. John

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:26:51 AM EDT
[#14]
nice observation!!!  I even didn't notice that.

Quoted:
Oh yeh, and M4's don't have screwed-on uppers.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#15]
The real question is, if we changed their order without ttman knowing, how long would it be before he noticed.  That gunis very realistic, and requires a lot more than a first glance to know its fake.  I have a feeling airsoft guns aren't going to be around much longer as criminals will start using them to hold up banks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#16]
wouldn't be a wise idea, when cops show up w/REAL guns.  would have to be a pretty "air" headed criminal... =)

Quoted:
I have a feeling airsoft guns aren't going to be around much longer as criminals will start using them to hold up banks.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#17]
First thought is #1 because of the convienent sling covering up the roll mark. But on closer examination I'll say #3 because it has no gas tube and an airsoft obviously wouldn't need one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#18]
This might not be the best way to judge, but when the pic first started loading only the last two inches of the barrels and their flash hiders were visible on my screen.  I immediately suspected the third gun from the left because is peel washer is extra thick and extremely shiny.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#19]
They are all airsoft toys.  The FS peel washers are all thick plastic. All the parts are of the wrong colour. Every lower has a fake  pin hole for the automatic sear.  The other 3 are TM and the third is CA.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Second from the right. No gas tube.
After reading the other posts, I see someone already pointed that out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#21]
#3 the text is different and the peel washer is too shiny
Scott
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#22]
#3 from left. Why?
-Full auto? I don't think so (check out the safety).
-Look at the finish of the whole rifle compared to all the other ones. It doesn't give off a reflection of the flash.
-No gas tube.
--Brass washer.
That's all I can see for now...
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd say #3 judging from the shiny ring right behind the flash supressor, whereas the other rifles have duller rings.

Also I noticed that the Takedown pins are slotted on #3.  Seems out of place to me.

I might be way off base of this, but the front handguards are also less shiny, meaning less CLP used in cleaning!  That's my experience anyway.

I'll check back to see if I am right!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#24]
#4 also is set to full auto.  That was the first thing I checked.  

I didn't notice the gas tube!  Very Good!!!

I also see that the stamps on the magwell are not justified and spaced like the other 3 rifles.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#25]
I haven't looked at any of the other responses yet but it's #3. it doesn't have a gas tube running from the receiver to the ring.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a little scary how much they look alike...

I'm going with #3 because --

* The finish is different -- the receiver is more reflective and the handguards are more matte.
* The carry handle screws look different.
* The pins attaching upper to lower are different (slotted screw?!?)
* The text doesn't look quite right.
* What's with the shiny flash suppressor?

Still, the sling conveniently hiding parts of flat top make me wonder... But I'm going with Number 3 -- Final Answer.

Edited after reading the other posts:
Damn, I didn't even notice the gas tube. Dead giveaway. I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember reading somewhere of a case where bank robbers used realistic-looking BB-guns. They were stopped by the police while getting away. Apparantly, they forgot that they had BB guns and tried to shoot at the cops, with the expected results.

I don't know that much about ARs, my first guess was the first one, since the sling covering the logo looked suspicious. But after reading the other replies, the third one looks pretty odd.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I just checked my Tokyo Mauri Airsoft catalog and some of their AR15s **DO** have the gas tube.  that would have made it less obvious.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Look above the safety before saying that the selector being on full-auto is the give-away.  #2, 3 and 4 all have autosear pins (even though #3's is fake), I cant tell if #1 does, but I dont think so.  That means that #2 and #4 are true full auto M4s (not M4gery's or preban semiauto M4s), and #1 might be. Another thing: #3 and #4 both have the selector on Full Auto.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#30]
These airsoft guns look so real that soon they will probably start issuing these to the troops guarding our airports! That is if they aren't already! LOL.

Also, where can these be bought and for how much? I may never be able to own a real M4, but one of these would look terrific hanging up on my wall for display!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#31]
they aren't cheap.  most select fire, full auto electric guns start at $249 thru $400.  for stores do a search on airsoft guns.  some notable stores are: airsoft atlanta, infinity airsoft, airsoft extreme & generation airsoft.

Quoted:
Also, where can these be bought and for how much? I may never be able to own a real M4, but one of these would look terrific hanging up on my wall for display!

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#32]
#3 is the wannabe.

Two details of note:
1) The front pivot screw pin seems to be reversed/backwards - screw head should be on the R-side, rather than L, as shown.
2) Maybe it's just the photo, but the gas tube seems to be missing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Is it number #3? The one that is missing the gas tube.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#34]
The gas tube observation was the best so far.  
What's the rate of fire and report sound like,from the rifle?  I've been wanting an MP5 airsoft gun.
Is it electric or green gas?  What brand is it?  
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#35]
The one with the gold ring near the flash hider?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I personnally think that the CLP observation was the sharpest!

The real rifles have shinier handguards, because they have been 'lubed'.  The airsoft may require a small amount of cleaning, but I highly doubt that it will get CLP on the handguards.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#37]
They all looked real until I noticed #3 from the left without a gas tube and has full-auto switch.  Let us know.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#38]
The one that looks plastic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Wow, tough one! I'll go with #1 being fake, it's the only one with the pony obscured.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Mike

DAMN that's sharp!

I was going to say #3 anyway, but due to the funny-looking washer aft of the suppressor. The other three looked much more like mine, but I'll admit the gas tube would've given it away had I noticed it.

Good eye, Mike!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Like I said before they are all fake, just airsofts made by different manufacturers.  It's just that the third one is made in HongKong while the rest are made in Japan.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Like I said before they are all fake, just airsofts made by different manufacturers.  It's just that the third one is made in HongKong while the rest are made in Japan.

If that's true, then #3 is the poorest imitation.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I would say the third one from the right because I do not see a gas tube.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#44]
easy, the loser is #3.  Amongst other thing, the color just isn't right, and the washer-thingy on the barrel (I have a post-ban, nekkid bushie DCM) is WAY too shiny.  Also, the screws holding the carry handle are just straight "blade" type screws, instead of having the little hex-hole in the middle (Don't know what that type is called either)

FOTBR
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#45]
The one that looks plastic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I just e-mailed the guy who put up the picture on the webpage.  As has been said before, all four of them are Airsoft.  The guy lives in the UK; it's not like he really gets the opportunity for real ones.

They are all airsoft replica's, here in the UK we dont get to handle many
real steel weapons :) Hence a slight error in my review saying that the
stock and foregrip is plastic - which was pointed out to me is the case in
the real M4 as well.

That's kind of scary how accurate the replicas are if they can throw off just about everyone here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#47]
www.airsoftatlanta.com/

has a good place to get them

www.tennesseeairsoft.com
:)
*added url tags*
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#48]
No one even said anything about the shine on the handguards,  notice how number 3 handguards aren't as shiny as the rest....cheaper plastic?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top