Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:05:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine likes Gen3 PMAGs (all gens) as well as Lancers and Tango Down ARCs.  
I don't have any aluminum mags to test.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
What’s odd is gen 3 20 round and 40 round work but not 30s.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#3]

I still can’t figure out why thirty round gen 3 pmags won’t fit when the hammer isn’t cocked, but they don’t. Everything else I have seems to work fine.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i66.tinypic.com/2lk380o.jpg

I still can’t figure out why thirty round gen 3 pmags won’t fit when the hammer isn’t cocked, but they don’t. Everything else I have seems to work fine.
View Quote
Hammer cocked, or bolt locked back?

Try 28 rounds instead of 30.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hammer cocked, or bolt locked back?

Try 28 rounds instead of 30.
View Quote
If the hammer is cocked they go right in, they won’t go in if the hammer isn’t cocked, even when the mag is empty.

Gen 2 pmags and lancers worked fine, it dropped a GI mag halfway through also.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I finally got into the bullpup game,  I just bought a KSG and a RDB from the guide.  Great prices!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quick question for you new RDB owners....

Living behind enemy lines in Marylandistan, rifles need to be >29 inch OAL. I know the RDB doesn't meet it, but a simple pin and weld muzzle break would fix that.  How is muzzle device that comes with it attached?  I believe I read somewhere that it has a jamb nut, so it should be relatively easy to remove.  Yes or no?  Also, is the barrel profile wide enough to accept a pin/weld job easily enough?  Lastly, does anyone have a measure on the length to the shoulder of the threads on the barrel?  How long of a muzzle device would I need?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I shot mine today with no issues.

After I got it home I noticed every screw was loose, all of them! Except the rail because I already used red loctite on those. The four screws on the top cover are critical, as they hold the rails in place. Now that I tightened every screw 30 round gen 3 pmags fit.

So far I’ve had no major issues but whomever assembled these things at keltec sucks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

After I got it home I noticed every screw was loose, all of them! Except the rail because I already used red loctite on those. The four screws on the top cover are critical, as they hold the rails in place. Now that I tightened every screw 30 round gen 3 pmags fit.

So far I’ve had no major issues but whomever assembled these things at keltec sucks.
View Quote
Similar here, well sort of.  My butt-pad screws came loose & needed loc-tite, which they apparently don't have in Florida since it's a problem on multiple KT guns.  No further issues subsequently.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quick question for you new RDB owners....

Living behind enemy lines in Marylandistan, rifles need to be >29 inch OAL. I know the RDB doesn't meet it, but a simple pin and weld muzzle break would fix that.  How is muzzle device that comes with it attached?  I believe I read somewhere that it has a jamb nut, so it should be relatively easy to remove.  Yes or no?  Also, is the barrel profile wide enough to accept a pin/weld job easily enough?  Lastly, does anyone have a measure on the length to the shoulder of the threads on the barrel?  How long of a muzzle device would I need?  Thanks in advance.
View Quote
On my 'standard' RDB, the distance from the buttpad to the front of the gas block is 23 inches.  I believe that length is the same between the different models (it's kind of set by cocking handle travel). The RDB-S/survival is 26" OAL, so I think any of the longer fixed-brakes should work.  The RDB-C says it's 30" and has a longer foregrip so the barrel isn't all ant-eater-ey
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I FOd on the deal from sportsman’s guide. Seems like a neat idea, but just not... robust enough. The frame relies too much on thin plastic that, while probably perfectly durable, is likely to warp/shift in the cold or under load. I sold it at a very small loss and used the money to build 2 PSA ARs of superior quality.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I FOd on the deal from sportsman’s guide. Seems like a neat idea, but just not... robust enough. The frame relies too much on thin plastic that, while probably perfectly durable, is likely to warp/shift in the cold or under load. I sold it at a very small loss and used the money to build 2 PSA ARs of superior quality.
View Quote
Can you point me to the facts about how those materials will likely warp in the cold? I would love to read them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
How does the frame rely on thin plastic?  I've got my gun in front of me, and I'm just not seeing what you were seeing, I guess.  Frame's basically an upside-down AK steel receiver shell with a plate welded across the rear.  Not too much there to go wrong.  If you mean the lower, it's got so many ribs on it that strength isn't my concern, but brittleness (simply because IIRC it's not fiber reinforced or anything, and the Nylon or Polyester will get brittle if you get it cold enough).  It's no thinner than the new CZ BREN 2 lower, in that case (that gun's aluminum receiver on the other hand, is frighteningly thin in places), but that gun also has some fiber reinforcement that's reassuring.  The RDB lower also seems to have a lot more metal molded inside it than we might think (each screw or pin port appears to be reinforced)

I banged, snagged, and dragged my gun through a series of obstacle-shooting courses in the mid-40s like a goober without hurting anything or having any issues, if that helps .  There was another goober doing the same thing with his as well, also with no issues.

Speaking of; issues: the rough-edged steel sling clasps KT includes tear the absolute shit out of the gun, and if using the steel loops right behind the trigger guard, they tear the shit out of the softer sling clasps.  After slinging the rifle single-point all day, I looked down & saw a layer of silvery powder from the clasps all over the side of the gun, lol.  Gotta get me some of those wire-loop-tie thingies going forward.  The gun slings well, though; short & flat-sided, with a muzzle that hangs down on single-point setups.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can you point me to the facts about how those materials will likely warp in the cold? I would love to read them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He has a point, but I wouldn't be swinging an M16A1 against a tree in sub-zero either.  The polymers in the RDB could definitely be nicer, but the fact they don't melt despite how hot the handgaurd gets, tells me they are some sort of high-temp Nylon or polyamide, so probably perfectly fine for this role, and likely quite stable across human-survivable temps.  The lack of fiber (I think) is just a symptom of budget pricing, and would help the gun handle wear and abuse a bit better, but again, I doubt it's the limiting factor anyway.

Thermal expansion between the steel upper and plastic lower is more likely to cause an issue with the fit of the takedown pins, which are crazy tight in most guns as-is.  Lose a few thousandths across the length of the lower in cold weather and you might be needing a punch-set to take the gun apart.  Takedown is an area I think the gun could maybe use some more development work in, though I think they are on the right track.  Any time you have more than two locating pins for this sort of assembly (the lower has three) you are gonna have binding problems.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On my 'standard' RDB, the distance from the buttpad to the front of the gas block is 23 inches.  I believe that length is the same between the different models (it's kind of set by cocking handle travel). The RDB-S/survival is 26" OAL, so I think any of the longer fixed-brakes should work.  The RDB-C says it's 30" and has a longer foregrip so the barrel isn't all ant-eater-ey
View Quote
Thanks!

Can you help me out with how the flash hider is attached?  Is there a jamb nut holding it in place?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Can you help me out with how the flash hider is attached?  Is there a jamb nut holding it in place?
View Quote
There is a jamb nut.

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Awesome!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#18]
What pin gets hot on the handguard?  Is it hard to avoid?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, since I no longer have the RDB and can’t hold it in front of me to take notes, no, I cannot. I will add, however, that one of the takedown pins wasn’t going in so I smacked it with the handle of a screwdriver and the head of the pin broke. That reinforced my reservations about the perceived quality of the materials being used. I took it apart and looked it over and thought, “yeah, I’m probably going to break this thing.”

I emailed Kel-Tec about a replacement pin and they mailed one to me, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What pin gets hot on the handguard?  Is it hard to avoid?
View Quote
The forward takedown pin; it sits flush right where your fingers are, and gets hot since it is going through a hole in the gas block.  The shorter handguard puts the pin almost at the finger stop so it looks easier to avoid with that furniture.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m not worried about the plastic/polymer quality. I’m mainly worried about the monkeys that assemble them, they might have gotten fired from century arms.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m not worried about the plastic/polymer quality. I’m mainly worried about the monkeys that assemble them, they might have gotten fired from century arms.
View Quote
Could be...

Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don’t over torque the last screw in the rail. It should be the only one with a wavy lock washer on it. It’s not meant to be completely torqued down. It’s supposed to allow the rail to move a bit as barrel gets hot. Supposed to prevent vertical stringing as the barrel heats up. On my RDB it was the one loose screw.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Don’t over torque the last screw in the rail. It should be the only one with a wavy lock washer on it. It’s not meant to be completely torqued down. It’s supposed to allow the rail to move a bit as barrel gets hot. Supposed to prevent vertical stringing as the barrel heats up. On my RDB it was the one loose screw.
View Quote
Every bolt was loose.

I ended up getting rid of the rifle anyways. Good idea but poorly executed IMO.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Every bolt was loose.

I ended up getting rid of the rifle anyways. Good idea but poorly executed IMO.
View Quote
I agree. I sold mine also.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Ordered one from SG yesterday. Never bought a firearm from them. For those who bought the RDB from them, how long after you placed the order did you get the shippping notification and receive the gun?  I’m slightly impatient...lol.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ordered one from SG yesterday. Never bought a firearm from them. For those who bought the RDB from them, how long after you placed the order did you get the shippping notification and receive the gun?  I’m slightly impatient...lol.
View Quote
Order a few times from them, and each time has been quick shipping.

I would be surprised if it didn't ship by tomorrow, although they may be a little backed up with Black Friday.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
They ship really fast in my opinion.  I beleive they are in Ohio and I am in Az.  From order to delivery to my FFL its usually 3-4 business days.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They ship really fast in my opinion.  I beleive they are in Ohio and I am in Az.  From order to delivery to my FFL its usually 3-4 business days.
View Quote
Should be getting it tomorrow.  So, ordered Sunday, shipped Tuesday, and should be delivered to South Texas on Friday.  No complaints here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So the RDB 2.0 has;
-1" shorter barrel (meh)
-MLOK handguard (okay, folks have been waiting for one since the rollout demo a year+ ago)
-Buttstock can get 1.5" longer (the gun already has a fairly long LOP, folks really need it longer?  I suppose that explains the MSBS/Grot)
View Quote
Old post, but just to toss it out there. The RDB had to extend the barrel to the 17" in order to make 26" overall. But, a "collapsing stock" is measured as completely open for Overall Length. So, the barrel is 16" on the newer ones and the stock makes it 26" OAL when fully expanded/ out.

So you're not getting a 1.5" longer stock, the fully open will be basically where your stock is now, but with the option to collapse it an inch or whatnot which will then be less than 26" overall.

I had an RDB, shot good, wasn't the silencer god-host I was hoping for (piston pop/gas), but was fun. Luckily I sold it a while ago so I didn't lose my ass after this price drop. If/when the S model comes down in price I'll probably get that one for the different magazine release and lighter overall, but that's a way off.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

I love my RDB!  Good trigger out of the box, adjustable gas to regulate suppressor or recoil impulse and I just added the Hera grip which gives great ergonomics!

At $712, it is a ridiculously good buy!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129929/RDB_with_Hera_Grip_jpg-761566.JPG

I love my RDB!  Good trigger out of the box, adjustable gas to regulate suppressor or recoil impulse and I just added the Hera grip which gives great ergonomics!

At $712, it is a ridiculously good buy!
View Quote
Dang that grip does look comfy.

I love the looks of the RDBs in the other thread with S and C handguards, but after putting a VFG on mine, there is no going back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I had to uninstall the magwell for my RDB. While its nice for easy reloads its too flared for coupled mags and drums like my Magpul D-60. Something to be aware of if you're thinking of buying the magwell.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Did KT ever release the "Tactical Model" with the MLOK rail and other updated features?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top