Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 9:08:42 PM EST
I bought a DSA FAL originally equipped with a free float tube. I decided I didn't like the tube, that trying to enhance accuracy with a FF tube was ridiculous, the additional weight was noticeable, and I didn't like the feel of holding a small diameter log. So I bought a standard handguard for it. But since the barrel was installed with the FF tube and a split clamp seen in the photo, I had to use a split ring for the standard handguard.

All I can say is ACK! BARF!

The split ring is designed so the barrel does not have to be remove to install the ring. I could use a whole ring if the gas block of the FAL could be removed, but the disassembly manual I have shows a complete stripping of the rifle, but no gas block removal.

My questions are:
* Can the gas block be removed simply by knocking out the retaining pin?
* Do you know of a source for a whole handguard retaining ring?

Free float tube with split clamp:

Split ring replacement for standard handguard:
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:28:19 PM EST
Better off just spinning the barrel.
The gas blocks on some of the barrels need to be pressed off. When the barrels are re-parkerized, it dam near super glues the block onto the barrel.

P.S. What price are you are you asking for the tube?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:26:47 PM EST
I haven't decided to sell the tube. It is OD green and it matches the furniture on the rifle. I'd like to keep it for eventual sale of the rifle as a package, should I decide to sell the rifle at all.

BTW, what is involved in barrel removal? I thought FAL barrels were pressed in and required a machine to remove.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:53:41 AM EST
Barrels are screwed in. Check out the build it yourself forums at falfiles.com.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:04:55 PM EST
I have not needed to do this my self, but I have heard of people making a fine cut in the top of the handguard ring, this allows them to slip the ring over the gas block.
Then they put a small weld where they cut the ring.
The weld will be under the gas cylinder and will not show.

Good luck, Court223
AKA, Court in FL.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:53:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By court223:
I have not needed to do this my self, but I have heard of people making a fine cut in the top of the handguard ring, this allows them to slip the ring over the gas block.
Then they put a small weld where they cut the ring.
The weld will be under the gas cylinder and will not show.

Good luck, Court223
AKA, Court in FL.

I like this idea. Let me ponder that awhile. Thanks.
I don't really want to muck with barrel installation just for a handguard ring.
Top Top