Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:36:19 AM EDT
Anyone ever used these in 223?

I was considering doing some deer hunting this fall with my AR or Mini-14.  I know that the Barnes bullets and the Winchester 64gr PP are proven deer bullets for this cartridge, but I was wondering if anyone have tried the Speers and how well did they work?
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally haven't tried the Speer. I can definitely say the Barnes is overwhelmingly nasty for such a light round. I'm interested to hear anybody's thougts since I'd like to load up some Speers if they're worth it'
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I personally haven't tried the Speer. I can definitely say the Barnes is overwhelmingly nasty for such a light round. I'm interested to hear anybody's thougts since I'd like to load up some Speers if they're worth it'

Problem is the 70gr TSX requires 1:7 twist and my rifle is 1:9.  This is about the only time I wish I had 1:7, but I don't wish it enough to buy a new barrel and hope it headspaces right

In any case, I have to stick with the 1:9 friendly bullets.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
dont give up on the barnes until you try them in your 1/9 twist...my friends shoot them in a rock river mid lenght with 1/9 twist and they shoot very good at 200 yds...under 5 inches, and they use them for deer, I shoot them in my Stag varminter with a 1/8 and they shoot under 3in...they will shoot
even better if you load them longer then mag length and single shoot them....only problem is they cost 2 to 3 times more...
I use 25.1gr of Varget@ 2.255 col.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Speer #10 says the 70 gr Semi Spitzer "is offered for best performance on deer and other small game".
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a guy that used them for years on deer in a 1-12" Ruger M77 MkII.  He said they worked very well and was satisfied with their performance.  This was before any of the newer bullets like the 60-gr Partition, Trophy Bonded, or TSX were introduced.  Oddly enough, this guy's other rifles were a .338, then a .375 H&H for elk, so he wasn't afraid to "go big"  
A mutual friend of ours tried his load out in a Mini-14 and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with this Speer bullet/load.  I guess the 1-10" Mini Ranch just hated them for some reason.

Personally, I would prefer either the 60-grain Nosler Partition, the 62-gr Barnes TSX (good for 1-9), 55-gr TSX or the Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 55-grain. I would feel confident using any one of these over a conventional cup-and-core non-bonded bullet like the 70 Speer SMP or Winchester PP.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know a guy that used them for years on deer in a 1-12" Ruger M77 MkII.  He said they worked very well and was satisfied with their performance.  This was before any of the newer bullets like the 60-gr Partition, Trophy Bonded, or TSX were introduced.  Oddly enough, this guy's other rifles were a .338, then a .375 H&H for elk, so he wasn't afraid to "go big"  
A mutual friend of ours tried his load out in a Mini-14 and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with this Speer bullet/load.  I guess the 1-10" Mini Ranch just hated them for some reason.

Personally, I would prefer either the 60-grain Nosler Partition, the 62-gr Barnes TSX (good for 1-9), 55-gr TSX or the Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 55-grain. I would feel confident using any one of these over a conventional cup-and-core non-bonded bullet like the 70 Speer SMP or Winchester PP.

I'd guess that 1-10 might've been borderline slow for a 70gr bullet out of a shorter barrel rifle, where 1-12 was sufficient considering it was a 22 to 24 inch barrel.

I'm thinking of doing some whitetail hunting with the AR this fall...I might give the 62gr TSX or 55gr bear claw a try.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Barnes makes .224 bullets in 53 grains. Quite the round- I wouldn't try it on a deer but head shots on wild pigs are quite explosive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top