Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:36:19 AM EDT
Anyone ever used these in 223?

I was considering doing some deer hunting this fall with my AR or Mini-14.  I know that the Barnes bullets and the Winchester 64gr PP are proven deer bullets for this cartridge, but I was wondering if anyone have tried the Speers and how well did they work?
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 9:37:36 AM EDT
I personally haven't tried the Speer. I can definitely say the Barnes is overwhelmingly nasty for such a light round. I'm interested to hear anybody's thougts since I'd like to load up some Speers if they're worth it'
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:29:26 AM EDT
Quoted:
I personally haven't tried the Speer. I can definitely say the Barnes is overwhelmingly nasty for such a light round. I'm interested to hear anybody's thougts since I'd like to load up some Speers if they're worth it'

Problem is the 70gr TSX requires 1:7 twist and my rifle is 1:9.  This is about the only time I wish I had 1:7, but I don't wish it enough to buy a new barrel and hope it headspaces right

In any case, I have to stick with the 1:9 friendly bullets.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 4:44:38 PM EDT
dont give up on the barnes until you try them in your 1/9 twist...my friends shoot them in a rock river mid lenght with 1/9 twist and they shoot very good at 200 yds...under 5 inches, and they use them for deer, I shoot them in my Stag varminter with a 1/8 and they shoot under 3in...they will shoot
even better if you load them longer then mag length and single shoot them....only problem is they cost 2 to 3 times more...
I use 25.1gr of [email protected] 2.255 col.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 8:04:26 PM EDT
Speer #10 says the 70 gr Semi Spitzer "is offered for best performance on deer and other small game".
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 10:23:24 PM EDT
I know a guy that used them for years on deer in a 1-12" Ruger M77 MkII.  He said they worked very well and was satisfied with their performance.  This was before any of the newer bullets like the 60-gr Partition, Trophy Bonded, or TSX were introduced.  Oddly enough, this guy's other rifles were a .338, then a .375 H&H for elk, so he wasn't afraid to "go big"  
A mutual friend of ours tried his load out in a Mini-14 and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with this Speer bullet/load.  I guess the 1-10" Mini Ranch just hated them for some reason.

Personally, I would prefer either the 60-grain Nosler Partition, the 62-gr Barnes TSX (good for 1-9), 55-gr TSX or the Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 55-grain. I would feel confident using any one of these over a conventional cup-and-core non-bonded bullet like the 70 Speer SMP or Winchester PP.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 8:26:39 PM EDT
Quoted:
I know a guy that used them for years on deer in a 1-12" Ruger M77 MkII.  He said they worked very well and was satisfied with their performance.  This was before any of the newer bullets like the 60-gr Partition, Trophy Bonded, or TSX were introduced.  Oddly enough, this guy's other rifles were a .338, then a .375 H&H for elk, so he wasn't afraid to "go big"  
A mutual friend of ours tried his load out in a Mini-14 and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with this Speer bullet/load.  I guess the 1-10" Mini Ranch just hated them for some reason.

Personally, I would prefer either the 60-grain Nosler Partition, the 62-gr Barnes TSX (good for 1-9), 55-gr TSX or the Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 55-grain. I would feel confident using any one of these over a conventional cup-and-core non-bonded bullet like the 70 Speer SMP or Winchester PP.

I'd guess that 1-10 might've been borderline slow for a 70gr bullet out of a shorter barrel rifle, where 1-12 was sufficient considering it was a 22 to 24 inch barrel.

I'm thinking of doing some whitetail hunting with the AR this fall...I might give the 62gr TSX or 55gr bear claw a try.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:59:29 PM EDT
Barnes makes .224 bullets in 53 grains. Quite the round- I wouldn't try it on a deer but head shots on wild pigs are quite explosive.
Top Top