Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 10:59:08 PM EDT
I'm going to load some up for the AR
556 chamber 16in. bbl.
I have varget and h335 powders. LC 07 brass.
The  cannelure is above the case when seated at the c.o.l.
Should I seat at mid cannelure?
Any suggestions for a starting load?
I want to load these for accuracy

Thanks
Bishop3
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
556 chamber 16in. bbl.

Thanks
Bishop3

What is your  C.O.L. when you seat the projo and the cannelure is above the neck?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
My book says they should be at 2.255.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
556 chamber 16in. bbl.

Thanks
Bishop3

The Speer 62gr lack the penetrator insert.  I would load them to mag length, say. 2.255" and don't worry about the cannelure.

If you have to crimp them, crimp them at 2.255" and have fun.

Chris

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
556 chamber 16in. bbl.

Thanks
Bishop3

What is your  C.O.L. when you seat the projo and the cannelure is above the neck?

set at 2.25 C.O.L.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#6]
The LC 07 once fired cases are all trimmed 1.755  +/-  a couple of thousandths usually - . I''m loading for 556 chambers 16" & 18" bbl.

Your advice is right on, thanks. I have been loading only .223 for a few years and lack the experience. Working up is always the right answer.    
I'm going to load up some bulk target, plinkng, blasting ammo. I'm needing to get a couple other loading manuals I'm working out of a Lyman's I bought in 2007 and The Complete Reloading Manual for the .223. I'm on Christmas break and wanted to load up a large batch while I have the time to concentrate on my ammo.

I had a box of these Speer 62gr FMJBT on hand. Speer data: With the CCI 450 & H335 start is 23gr & max is 25gr. I have postponed loading these before because of the cannelure not aligning with the case mouth for crimping. I'm loading them up today at the starting load regardless of cannelure. Case is sized and trimmed right this bullet just doesn't care.

Probably crazy talk here but, I also have some Hornady 55 FMJBT's I want to start these at max 23.2 H335 (all LC 07 brass WSR primer). Even though this is in the book as max, isn't this conservative still? I have loaded above this with Sierra & Speer 55 FMJBT.  

Thanks.
Bishop3
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
For max loads it depends on the manual you're using. For example, my 13th ed. Speer shows 24.0 as a start and 26.0 and max load using H335 and a 55 gr bullet.

Also, the Speer 62 gr FMJ have been about the worst accuracy loads I have made. Hopefully you'll do better than I have with them. However, I have had good luck with the 55gr Hornady FMJ for plinking loads that can still group well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
556 chamber 16in. bbl.

Thanks
Bishop3

set at 2.25 C.O.L.

I have never used that projectile. If it was me, i would measure the amount of space below the cannelure and compare it to another brand of 62 gr projectile that you know is good and works for your COL. Maybe the projectiles are out of spec.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
556 chamber 16in. bbl.

Thanks
Bishop3

The Speer 62gr lack the penetrator insert.  I would load them to mag length, say. 2.255" and don't worry about the cannelure.

If you have to crimp them, crimp them at 2.255" and have fun.

Chris

Just an FYI , the current production lack the penetrator, the originals had the steel in the tip.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
556 chamber 16in. bbl.

Thanks
Bishop3

set at 2.25 C.O.L.

I have never used that projectile. If it was me, i would measure the amount of space below the cannelure and compare it to another brand of 62 gr projectile that you know is good and works for your COL. Maybe the projectiles are out of spec.

Good luck!

No, OP used a different trim length.  

One of those things having the bullet makers data and following it does for you.

Where did he say that? I have reread his posts and cant find it. The only time i see him mention trim length he says the LC 07 is usually trimmed 1.755 +/- a few thousandths.

Quoted:
The LC 07 once fired cases are all trimmed 1.755  +/-  a couple of thousandths usually

Case is sized and trimmed right this bullet just doesn't care.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Just finished working up a load for my LWRC 556 18 bbl. Loaded Hornady 55 FMJBT. WSR, LC 07, H335 24grains.
I had no pressure signs at 24.5 but accuracy at 24 seemed better.

The Speer 62 FMJBT have been on my bench a few years now.
I will see if I can find any other load data on these. I will be working on loading these this weekend.
My next purchase will be a chronograph.... I keep buying stuff to support my habit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#13]

I will be getting back to work on these loads soon

Thanks all
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
556 chamber 16in. bbl.

Thanks
Bishop3

set at 2.25 C.O.L.

Good luck!

No, OP used a different trim length.  

One of those things having the bullet makers data and following it does for you.

Where did he say that? I have reread his posts and cant find it. The only time i see him mention trim length he says the LC 07 is usually trimmed 1.755 +/- a few thousandths.

Quoted:
The LC 07 once fired cases are all trimmed 1.755  +/-  a couple of thousandths usually

Case is sized and trimmed right this bullet just doesn't care.

Speer reloading manual for Speer bullets calls out trim to length of 1.750, not what OP used.  

Again, where did OP say he didnt use the correct trim length? He stated he used 1.755 +/-. That would put the cannelure at the correct spot if the projos are built correctly.

How are you comming up with this info on OP.....through IM?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top