Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 10:50:30 AM EDT
I have been looking at Atlantic Firearms website, and really like the Special Weapons
SW-45-FS. It looks like a .45ACP version of the HK94. Do any of you own one, and if so, what is it like? How is the accuracy and reliability? Please post your opinions if you own one or have fired one. If you haven't seen it, go to  www.atlanticfirearms.com

Thanks,
Herman Snerd
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Special weapons

I won't even waste the time to make that link hot.

BEWARE!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Herman, you're about to hear lots of opinions about the folks at Speshul Wepons.  If you really want to hear about the SW-45, change the title of this thread to include "Special Weapons" - something like "Anyone own a Special Weapons SW-45".

I'll be over here with my popcorn.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]
<dives for cover>

Any opinions you get on SW's products on this site are bound to be....interesting.

I got tired of all the bitching and offered to buy anyone who hated SW's products item for more than a fair price, but low and behold everyone who was bitching either "heard it from a friend" or "already got rid of theirs".

I think the biggest problem is the owner of SW has an abrasive personality and it grinds on all the other abrasive personalities here...

As with any other "custom" weapon, dont buy sight unseen, and make sure that the one you get feels smooth and feeds well. If possible shoot it before you buy it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine has one of SW's MP5 look alikes and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm.......is'nt there a thread along these
lines posted at the general discussion board?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish I knew someone that had one.
They look good. They are pretty expensive though.I would like to hear from someone that owns one before I consider dropping that much dough on a new toy to plink with.
Anyone.....anyone.....Bueller?

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I owned a Special Weapons SW-5 PDW and was totally dissatisfied with the gun.  I Bought it brand new for around $1500.00 and spent another couple of hundred on new factory curved mp-5 mags.  I will only say that the performance and accuracy of the SW-5 didn't live up to real mp-5 which I have carried at work and after about 200 rds through the SW-5, I was ready to sell it.  I experienced about every type of malfunction and stoppage conceivable with the SW-5 and refuse to own a gun which I would not stake my life on.  I was lucky enough to get the dealer to take the gun back and get a full refund however, I would have gladly sold it to anyone with cash in his pocket and a willingness to deal with all the problems.  

I have had people tell me that I needed to change the extractor..... the buffer spring.... etc.... etc.... etc...   I am of the opinion that if you spend close to two grand on a gun and magazines, it should function like a dream right out of the box.  I don't believe the SW-45 is any different, but it's your money....
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
<snip>
I am of the opinion that if you spend close to two grand on a gun and magazines, it should function like a dream right out of the box.  I don't believe the SW-45 is any different, but it's your money....

See, this is where the difference between most SW respondants and I comes. I'm a collector, out of all the weapons I own, I'd probably only wish to use a couple in self defense. I also am used to spending a lot more than $1,500 on firearms that arnt 'at rights'. My first STEN, a rare MkV, cost me $3,100 and it took me eight months to get it back to rights again. I turned around and sold it for nearly five grand and bought my little Fiero (which is far more trouble than the STEN was) with it.

It all comes down to what you want I suppose. I'm not allergic to some elbowgrease and jury-rigging no matter what I spent on it. But to me its only money, it comes and it goes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Well I guess that's where you and I differ.... I don't have alot of money to throw around on stuff that doesn't work.  I like the idea of being able to reach for any gun in my gun safe and know it will function and save my life if need be.  If I were a serious collector, I think I would rather buy a real HK MP-5 than a cheap immitation any day (for value and function).  I guess I see things a little different than you, kinda like buying a car that doesn't run and keeping it around thinking I'm going to sell it later.

As far as elbow grease or jury-rigging is concerned, that's great if something breaks and you need to fix it.  I believe all gun manufacturers should be marketing quality products that work the way they're intended right out of the box and should not have to be jury-rigged to make them work properly.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Duke, I agree. I only get to buy one or two guns each year. I don't have the means to be a
collector of antiquities. When I buy a firearm,
it better work perfectly right out of the box.
I would not want to own any weapon that I could not depend on if I needed to.

The SW-45 looks sweet, but looks can be deceiving. I think I will keep looking before I spend that much on a questionable product.
Thanks to all who responded.

Herman Snerd
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Shot a SW-5 in 9mm w/ fake suppressor. It functioned, and looked really cool. My Hi-point is a tack driver that costs 800 less!!!

Attempted to shoot a SW-45 w/ fake suppressor,... Wouldn't chamber a round! (Bolt didn't have enough oompfh to push it in! Cleaned it, same story. Did they test fire it prior to leaving the factory? Not likely.

Stay far away.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#14]
You had a fierro too? my first car was a fierro, It was brand new in 1984 red, sun roof etc, and it was the shi*, but after 3 yrs and 80,000 miles I had all kinds of problems I love the car I just couldnt keep it running.wish I still had it, now I could aford to fix it.
           FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>
I am of the opinion that if you spend close to two grand on a gun and magazines, it should function like a dream right out of the box.  I don't believe the SW-45 is any different, but it's your money....

See, this is where the difference between most SW respondants and I comes. I'm a collector, out of all the weapons I own, I'd probably only wish to use a couple in self defense. I also am used to spending a lot more than $1,500 on firearms that arnt 'at rights'. My first STEN, a rare MkV, cost me $3,100 and it took me eight months to get it back to rights again. I turned around and sold it for nearly five grand and bought my little Fiero (which is far more trouble than the STEN was) with it.

It all comes down to what you want I suppose. I'm not allergic to some elbowgrease and jury-rigging no matter what I spent on it. But to me its only money, it comes and it goes.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Alright, back to the SW-45.

Here's the deal Herman. Special Weapons makes a clone of the HK94 they call the SW5. Most of these guns are problematic and factory service is a bitch (in general they can't actually fix the gun). If you find a SW5 and run a few mags through it and find it reliable with a particular factory ammo, go ahead and buy it. Do not buy any SW guns you can't return because they are crapshoots.

The SW45 on the other hand, is not a clone of a HK anything. There is no 45ACP MP5 if you notice. To build this variant they needed to design a slightly larger receiver, make up new rolling thingies, work out the freakily sensitive timing issues, work out magazine issues, etc. By themselves. You trust SW to do this right? I would not bet $1200 on it.

I'd in fact wager you Herman a round of beers if we ever meet up that if you order that gun sight-unseen, it will arrive a piece of shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top