Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/11/2004 3:22:25 PM EST
Do you guys got any info and feedback on a Spas 12 with a folding stock? Someone told me they are rare, Is this true? Any info would help! Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:48:30 PM EST
Uncommon, yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are rare. Sig 55Xs, Steyr AUGs, FAMAS and their ilk are rare, the SPAS is just green label Colt uncommon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:41:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:01:44 PM EST
The SPAS 15 is rare. The SPAS 12 which is in movies from time to time is some what rare. The are selling for $875 to $1,400 NIB. $1400 is a little high 1000 to 1100 seems to be a general selling price.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:25:46 PM EST
The controls on a SPAS are weird. They haev one localy, to make it go auto-to-pump is complex and well none of us really have a clue how it all works or how to feild stripp it. At 1200 I'll pass like the plauge.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:31:32 PM EST
They are not rare, but certainly not as abundant as say a Benelli Super 90 or a Rem 870. I had a friend who owned one for a short time. I shot it a couple of times, but found it heavy and pretty awkward handling. Not as ergonomic as a Super 90 or an 870. He later sold it for an 870.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:10:18 PM EST
I used to have one, USED to being the key word. The "cool" factor is very high, but it wears off pretty quick. They are heavy and cumbersome. The folding stock just plain hurts after prolonged shooting. Did I mention it's heavy? Forget, and I mean FORGET finding spare parts for it. It's a nightmare to field strip. Did I mention it's heavy? There are NO accessories on the market for it. The price is ridiculous, you can buy 3-4 Remington 870's with what you would spend on it. Did I mention it's heavy?

All in all, if your looking for a "cool" or fun gun then go for it. If your looking for a SHTF or a "bump in the night" gun, get a Remy 870 or Mosberg 500.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:11:14 PM EST
PS> I sold mine and bought a Remy 870, actually several 870's
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:31:51 PM EST
Doesnt this sonuvabitch weigh like 13 lbs?

Screw the cool factor, it just wouldn't be a front-runner for self defense or sport for me.

This is not to say that it CAN'T be applied for those purposes, but i think we could find better.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:27:10 PM EST
I had one, it was cool to me for a while. Then it wasn't overly cool to me... But it was cool to my friends and a lot of other people who I showed it to. So once again I found it cool showing it to others. Then I ran out of poeple to show it to and sent the cumbersome, over-priced, 2-3/4" chambered only, heavy, abomination down the road.

I miss it once in a while when there's a show-&-tell going on, but other than that; I can't recall shooting it very much when I owned it.

There's certainly better options out there for use.

I especially liked the "hook" feature which would allow shooting around corners 1 handed.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:32:24 PM EST
I have one. It has been a lot of funs to shoot once you get the hang of the loading. I picked it up when F.I.E. was still selling them. I have shot MANY rounds through mine, I do not purchase weapons to clean and look at (that is ok).

It is not a fast load and shoot weapon. Like 308scout said the "cool" factor is high, but as far a defensive weapon it is heavy and difficult to quickly load. I use my weapons for shooting at the range with friends for fun. I am not a L.E.O. so "combat" is not my main concern, it is fun to shoot.

Accessories are hard to come by, but the only part I have had to replace is the o-rings. The price is crazy now, I watched a guy pay $995 for a used one.

If you have any questions on fieldstripping or the action just ask.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:38:22 PM EST
I just bought one on impulse. It was sitting in the dealers rack..."calling to me". It felt tight, so I field stripped it. Sure enough...an unfired safe queen. It even had the original problematic safety. Prior owner never took the time to upgrade and now parts are zilch. Lubed it up so it functions free, put it in a gun sack, and back to being a safe queen! Someday I may fire it, but probably not. Its unusual, no longer in production, and ....kool!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:31:14 PM EST
Not to trash the thread or dump on the topic, but everyone is always promoting Remington 870's and Mossberg 500's. I've got a Winchester 1300 Defender that I love, and it only cost $200. Why isn't there more promotion on the Defenders?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:31:25 PM EST
John2 that is very cool. I would like to get another to collect. Mine is in great shape, but as I said I have REALLY put rounds through it over the years. They are one of a kind.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:47:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2004 1:48:16 PM EST by ktrout01]

Not to trash the thread or dump on the topic, but everyone is always promoting Remington 870's and Mossberg 500's. I've got a Winchester 1300 Defender that I love, and it only cost $200. Why isn't there more promotion on the Defenders?

Don't feel bad Lapp_Dance, I have a Maverick 88 that I shoot the crap out of and love it. I have a 590 all decked out and a 500 and and and but when I want to hit the training area with a simple, cheap 12ga to put a hundred rounds through I grab the Maverick almost every time. I stay sharp with the others but at $169 out the door you can't go wrong and if I kill it, I'll buy another. As a matter of fact, I want to buy another one and put it away for the day I need it. Simple, reliable and inexpensive, what's not to like ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:09:33 PM EST
They are still .
Top Top