Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 7:08:26 PM EDT
I see that Remington has taken over rights to import the Baikal shotguns and rifles.  On the web site, it shows a side-by-side rifle offered in either 45/70 or 30.06.  Very, very cool!

Has anyone seen one in person?  I checked with the local gander mtn, and it's not stocked by the distributor.  Any suggestions on how to get one (in 45/70 of course)???
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It's been vaoporware for the past 2-3 years.  They have been advertising them, but never got any from the supplier. I would say later this year if at all.  I have been wanting the .45-70 one since they first started talking about it.  Now years later and a new manufacturer/distributor it's still a guess as to when they will be in the US.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
After emailing both Remington and Baikal, here goes:

I did get a reply from Baikal this evening. They said that the 30.06 was currently available and in production, and that the 45/70 was awaiting government approvals to be imported.

***This rifle is made in the .30-06 chambering. The .45-70 GOV version may appear sometime later in 2006. The gun needsd certification for the US market.
All the best, BAIKAL ***

I also received a reply from Remington ... stating that the rifles would be available at the end of the third quarter of 2006.

**** Response (Howerton) - 04/03/2006 08:09 AM Dear Kerry:
Thanks for visiting Remington Country! We appreciate your interest and support of Remington products. Based on current production schedules, which are subject to change without notice, we show the SPR22 available late 3rd quarter of 2006. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused!~ ***

So ... we'll see!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#4]
i would love to have a SxS 45/70 rifle

not trying to hijack your thread, but Cabelas offers a SxS .72 cal black powder exposed hammer called the Kodiak
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I was considering one of their sxs shotguns for a clays/skeet gun until I handled it.  The checkering was horrible, like it was done with a box cutter.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, an affordably priced double rifle in a common and moderately inexpensive and very useful caliber. I'm thinking of the 30-06, of course, and may end up purchasing one for the collection.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The Baikal SxS are pretty standard in cowboy action shooting and take a lot beating there. A .45-70 SxS would be quite the ticket for hunting big pigs in brush. Especially, if you get one of the gunsmiths that slick up Baikal SxS for cowboy action shooting to do the same for the rifle.

That would be sweet.

wganz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top