Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2011 8:23:42 AM EDT
I'm looking to purchase a few spare parts for my 590a1, Can anbody out there tell me which parts seem to break the most? parts that one wishes they had spare parts for the 590a1, or always seem to need extra of. I'm buying extra gun parts for my guns from Brownells,  If so can you list them in order

thank you in advance.

WC6

PS. I know people would also be intrested in the Remmy 870 also,
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Ammo for both, that's it.

Maybe for the 590A1 the safety, but nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking to purchase a few spare parts for my 590a1, Can anbody out there tell me which parts seem to break the most? parts that one wishes they had spare parts for the 590a1, or always seem to need extra of. I'm buying extra gun parts for my guns from Brownells,  If so can you list them in order

thank you in advance.

WC6

PS. I know people would also be intrested in the Remmy 870 also,

WildChild––

I had an idea to make this very same post just the other day.

The 590A1 seems like a pretty robust design, but let's maybe refine the query into: what spares are advisable for long-term hard use––TEOTHAWKI armed with with the 590A1––vs. what parts might conceivably break with casual range use.

I've heard that the mag spring could use an upgrade to a Wolf spring (true or false?) and that spare parts for the safety are a good idea because owing to Mossberg's design a broken safety will render the shotgun totally inoperable (true or false?).

What about extractor/ejector/firing pins?

I'm all ears.

––Eight_Ring
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ammo for both, that's it.

Maybe for the 590A1 the safety, but nothing else.

we have that covered!!

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You will wear out the trigger pin hole before you break a part.  Get a magazine spring as the ones Mossy ships are frail.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You will wear out the trigger pin hole before you break a part.  Get a magazine spring as the ones Mossy ships are frail.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/amynruss/vrwxo7.jpg

Camp Lejeune?
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Camp Lejeune?

I forgot to mention that. The factory spring on the 9 shot 590A1 is about 22 inches and is very weak. I bought an 870 +2 extension spring and put that one in mine.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Camp Lejeune?

I forgot to mention that. The factory spring on the 9 shot 590A1 is about 22 inches and is very weak. I bought an 870 +2 extension spring and put that one in mine.

OK, I'm convinced.  I do have the long mag tube (9).  Is the Wolf spring the best available option?

––Eight_Ring
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Camp Lejeune?

OK, I'm convinced.  I do have the long mag tube (9).  Is the Wolf spring the best available option?
––Eight_Ring

Yes, the Wolf spring is the best aftermarket.

I myself used a Remington 870 extension spring since that's what I had on hand. I actually use my factory Mossberg 590A1 spring in my 870P when I don't use an extension; otherwise I would of just threw it away.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Camp Lejeune?

Yep.  PMO pix.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Camp Lejeune?

Yep.  PMO pix.

I left there back in 00. Western Ave still the main place to go? That Jville mall was  the place to be!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I replaced my plastic safety with an over sized metal one & dropped in an after market mag tube spring.
I purchased a spare firing pin & spring but havent needed them so far.
I didnt buy the firing pin due to any known issues.
I have a spare pin & spring for all of my weapons.
Firing pin & spring are available through www.gunpartscorp.com for around $30.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm using brownells website
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I use the wolf x power mag spring its the best,I agree the mossberg factory spring sucks.I have a spare Bolt and spare trigger housing although those are 500 model parts they fit and function fine.So until I can get 590A1 spares of those 2 types those will suffice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've heard that the mag spring could use an upgrade to a Wolf spring (true or false?) and that spare parts for the safety are a good idea because owing to Mossberg's design a broken safety will render the shotgun totally inoperable (true or false?).

What about extractor/ejector/firing pins?

I'm all ears.

––Eight_Ring

False (kinda)

A 500/590 will shoot without any safety parts, but if the button breaks and the detent ball falls out the safety might go on/off easily and be in “on safe” position when you least expect it.

The part I've most replaced over the years include:

Safety button, plate, spring and detent ball.

Ejector and screw (the screw comes loose and the ejector falls out)

Magazine spring

I could count on one hand the number of firing pins, extractors, and trigger groups than have needed replacement.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top