Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 12:26:36 PM EDT
I have been shooting Federal 150 USGI over-run for 3 years, and need to re supply. Is the S.A. surplus really ok, or am I setting my NM M1A up for a f-up? I shoot ANYTHING through my 91, but I'm a little concerned about the M1A...Unfounded?

scuze me while I whip this out!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot a bunch in my 1919 without a single hitch, and just got another case today. As far as accuracy out of a "precision" type gun I couldn't tell you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had 0 problems in my M1A's. Just don't expect super duper accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't get me wrong, I use Black hills to "hit" targets, other to shoot stuff. Hell the only reason I have a NM M1A is the fool who traded it to me for a N.I.B. Desert Storm Beretta 92 didn't know what he was doing. I am of the age (don't ask) that remembers bad Grecian 7.62, and explosive Spanish 7.62. Seems to be a lot of folks using the S.A. but I would like to get some M1A shooters input. Bet you go through some ammo with the 19?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I run everything through my National Match,never a hiccup.For quite a few years she was my only rifle. Shot lots of South African ball,decent accuracy and 100% reliable.The M14/M1a, even a N.M.,does not need to be babied.Next week, my girl is getting Wolf
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
South african has been good for me and my fulton M14.  My rifle REALLY likes portugese, but South African does decently however the brass is kinda soft and I have seen a few torn case necks while loading the ammo.  Otherwise it goes bang every time I pull the trigger.  While there is better out there, there is also worse...

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Steel Cases, eh? I won't even do that to my HK...Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Explain "torn case necks while loading"
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I am getting 2.5-3" groups at 100 yrds from my M1A with SA.  It will typically do a little better than .5" with handloads.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot lots of this stuff through both of my M1A's and never have had a problem. It's a great value for surplus 308. (sorry, better edit to 7.62. That should  keep eveyone happy)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]
If a person is really anal about their barrel, they should really like the fact that SA is copperjacketed, leadcore---it don't get no more gentle than that.

In my 2 M1A's, I run Aussie, SA, Port and still have 1500-1700 RG left----they love them all, but Aussie is special
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The SA has run perfectly in my Poly, no problems at all except it's not very accurate.

About half of those who post about the SA ammo report disappointing accuracy. The other half seem to do okay with it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
South African ammo won't win you any matches but you can kill man size targets within reasonable combat distances with it. I've shot thousnads of rounds of S.A. 7,62. Never a problem.

However, I miss Hirtenberger.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:53:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I have gotten 21/4" - 3" groups (5 shot) @ 100 yds. with SA in my SOCOM-16. The average velocity was 2,504 fps. That was with a very inexpensive red dot sight. The SA gave me better groups than new Remington-UMC fmj stuff that I also shot that day. The Remington stuff was a little hotter @ an average velocity of 2,637 fps. Something I noticed that day shooting was that 3 shots from each 5 shot string (of SA) would almost be touching, and 2 shots in that string would be the ones that opened up the group to the 21/4 - 3" spread. Those 2 shots would also be equidistant from the 3 close holes. BTW I am not touting SA as accurate ammo, only that it shot OK for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys! Ran some through the gal yesterday just b4 dark, it shot into 2.5" at 100 with a 6x42 leupold on top. Cant ask for much better for "cheap" foriegn fodder. Finished up with Black Hills 168's....They shoot into a dime. The S.A seemed a little dirty, but who among us doesn't like to oil up our hands and rub them all over a beautiful lady!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I own Portuguese, Santa Barbara, and South African and would rank them in that order.  All three are clean and do shoot very well.  The Porto ammo is wonderful.  The Santa Barbara "sounds" a bit "hot" and has a nice "snap" to it but isn't as accurate as the Porto ammo.  The South African ammo is just good plinking ammo, imho, but works find in all my NATO rifles but I wouldn't shoot competition with it.  

Rome
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
For the price you pay, it is great get out and shoot M1A ammo. I've got well over 15K of it stashed away for shooting in my FALs, M1As, and .308 Garand.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am getting 2.5-3" groups at 100 yrds from my M1A with SA.

I have put around 1,000 rounds of the SA through my M1A without a hitch.  I am also getting a little over 2" groups at 100 yards.  The Australian 7.62 seems to shoot a little better but the supply seems to have run out so I am saving what I have left.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#18]
My M1A ( USGI  TRW chrome lined barrel) produces groups that hover consistantly in the 2 1/4" range with SA R1M1 ammo. Groups measured center to center between the rounds furthest apart.
This rifle will produce consistant 1.5" groups with BF Portugese ammo. (100 yrds)

I haven't experienced anything less than excellent performance with SA R1M1 ammo in regard to function with my M1A and FALs.

South African M1A2 and R1M1 ammo is loaded with copper jacketed lead core bullets in Berdan primed brass cases.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been shooting this ammo a bit but have suddenly, as in the past week, started having problems with it not ejecting. The rifle checked out fine except for a small amount of carbon build up in the chamber. I tried a few other types of ammo, TAP, Aussy, some unknown steel core surplus from a buddy, and they all worked without issue.

Looking at the case mouth on the SA it is getting blown out a bit larger than the other ammo
and causing it to "stick" just enough to prevent ejection. You can see where the extractor is
stripping material off the rim in its attempt to pull it out. Manually extracting the case using
a rod or small flatblade is very easy.

Hopefully a thorough cleaning will make my rifle happy with this ammo again since I have approx 1,000 rounds of it at my house.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, from what I can tell above, I think I see 100% acceptance, cool.  I have some battle packs coming.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I like it too. I shoot it in my M1a and will shoot it with my FAL once I finish building it. I save the cheap Indian shit for my 1919
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top