Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 1:19:15 PM EDT
Would anyone know where to find some of these 1" elastic bands on the cheap?

Link

Not a fan of paying nearly what they're worth in shipping to get some. These have got to be known under other names that can be sourced locally. I hit up the Home Depot near me and they didn't have anything like it in stock. Paragear has 'em for $.60 each, but they require a minimum $25 order. I only need four of them, so bulk purchasing 100 or so it out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Walmart has some velcro thingies that you can get. Linky
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Tactical Tailor has them in a package of 6.

TT retaining bands
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut some bike inner tubes. Ranger Bands
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Web dominators are your friend.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback.

I do have web dominators already on the pack straps that won't get used often. However, I do use my compression straps pretty often throughout the day (loosen up when getting into the pack, then tighten up before moving) and web dominators are a bit more of a hassle when the strap length changes. I have used the elastic bands on other packs and they' slide easily enough when you're loosening or tightening up the load. I know Milspec Monkey sells the double-sided velcro that Mystery Ranch uses and may pick up a yard of those.

But these elastic bands-- surely they weren't created solely for tactical/military use? I would think some other industry uses them  as well, so finding them locally at a home improvement store or something would be pretty painless-- but I guess not.

And nope, I'm definitely not shortening those straps. Lesson learned from earlier years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Why don't you just go to a fabric store? I guarantee they will have elastic, and I bet if you gave someone a couple bucks they'd sew them together for you (maybe even at the fabric store). No reason to really ever buy anything like that. Same with anything velcro.

It boggles my mind that Mystery Ranch, even as expensive as their packs are, can charge 5 bucks for a little bit of 1" velcro, and 15 bucks for 2" sewn together.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey- Velcro and elastic ain't cheap
Heck, Downrange Gear survives by making little elastic and Velcro doodads for tac gear. (innovative/thoughtfully designed, as they are)

OD duct tape is usually what I end up using to police loose straps.
Electrical tape if no duct tape is within arms reach, but that stuff invariably leaves a messy black residue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top