Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 8:21:15 PM EDT

I know nothing of sound suppressors, but I need to start somewhere.

What should I look at for an AR15 type that would be easy to move rifle to rifle?  Can I keep my flash hider on?  What about the Smith Vortex flash hider?  – it says it’s “Sound Suppressor Capable.”

What about .308 rifles like the FAL?

What about a Ruger 10/22?

Is there a sound suppressor faq somewhere?

Thanks for everybody’s help. I’m a complete newbie in this forum.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Might be quicker if you ask in the M16/Full Auto forum.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, yes, yes. You can get quick detach cans for 22mm flash supp., plus can's in different calibers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#3]
First thing you will learn is that Silencers are not really totally silent. The only one that is totally silent is for a 22, you only hear the click of the bolt.

Everything else it just muffles the sound so that it is harder to tell where the shot came from.

There was a recent eposode of Mail Call where R. Lee demonstrated all of this.

The other thing is that you need to use subsonic ammo to get maximum silence.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Like mentioned above, if you want to be "quiet", then you'll need a .22LR suppressor and subsonic ammo.

Other caliber suppressors reduce the sound pressure level down below hearing damage range, but are still quite noticeable to others. My top-of-the-line .223, .308, and .45 suppressors can definitely be heard by my neighbors that live 150-200 yards away.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Okay, I'll settle for "quieter."

Do the .308 suppressors "quiet" as much as the .223 suppressors?

I'm not going to shoot subsonic ammo, just my regular ammo.

Is the Gemtec the state of the art?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:47:17 AM EDT
[#6]
The 308 cans I've heard actually seemed quieter than 223. The 223 seems to have a really loud sharp crack, the 308 seems softer for some reason. It might be I was hearing action noise on the 223, the 308s have all been bolt guns. Louder than an air rifle, but less than an unsuppressed 22. Sort of like a loud paintball gun. TRP-S and Omega, don't know what the 223 cans were, didn't ask. I liked the TRP-S best.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd heard that Hollywood Quiet was a myth. My understanding is that .22's are very, very quiet when used with a good suppressor.
Here's my question: Most suppression happens with non-suppressor designed cartridges. How quiet is suppression with purpose-designed cartridges like the .300 whisper? Does it even approach Hollywood quiet?

Looking at some of the Db data I've seen online, it seems that a lot of centerfire cans move the Db level from "painful/damaging" down to "accceptable to shoot without muffs". Anybody got firsthand experience that they'd like to share?
-Hobbit

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Alot depend on where you shoot as well.   Some places seem louder than others.   In a rocky pit the last 5.56 can I heard ( M4-2000)  was freaking loud.   This is a good can, and pretty quiet in comparison to others but I still would have shot with earplugs.   I imagine it was mostly echoing off the rock wall that was a few feet away.   It was probably hearing safe but definitely not quiet.   It was alot like an unsupressed .22lr from a rifle.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#9]
it also has a lot to do with your ammo... englewood Balistic reserch  has a 223 that will not cycle the action but with a AAC m4-2000 it is 4 decibles louder than a firing pin hittin the chamber of a empty ruger 10-22 i think its about 40-50 a box now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top