Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 7/3/2011 4:19:52 PM EDT
Seems like in the DFW area it averages from 2.00 to 6.00 a around
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
.17 per round. I hand load. I even added .01 for equipment.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

.17 per round. I hand load. I even added .01 for equipment.
For 50, damn when did you buy componets???

It cost me around 1 dollar to 1.50 depending on the bullets and lot of powder.

To tell you the truth, the last bit of CBC to pop up at 165/100 beat my time and reloading cost so thats what Ive been shooting.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]

I picked this up on Newest Topics, and didn't see it was for 50 Cal. I thought you were talking about small caliber rifle ammo. .17 is what it costs me for 5.56.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I picked this up on Newest Topics, and didn't see it was for 50 Cal. I thought you were talking about small caliber rifle ammo. .17 is what it costs me for 5.56.

I load API for:  
Projectile $70 per 1000, so that's                            $0.07
Powder $28 for 8lbs, use ~220 grains,                  $0.11
Primers are the most expensive part                      $0.27
Brass, basically free (I've been given thousands) $0.10
                                                                               _____
                                                                 TOTAL   $0.55

It's a good thing I stocked up in 2002!
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I load API for:  
                                                                               _____
                                                                 TOTAL   $0.55

Ya, but where are you going to fire that API? Lots of ranges forbid the firing of anything that can create a fire. And if you are shooting on your own land. Just hope you dont start a fire that can blow over onto someone else s land that would not appreciate it. Ya my bullets cost abt 2 bucks each. but I wont create a fire with them. And I am not out there just making noise. I am shooting for a group at the bulls eye that I am aiming for. Suppose there is cheap ammo and then there is ammo that will get you a bulls eye if you read the wind and know how to hold the rifle on the mark while pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I load API for:  
                                                                               _____
                                                                 TOTAL   $0.55

Ya, but where are you going to fire that API? Lots of ranges forbid the firing of anything that can create a fire. And if you are shooting on your own land. Just hope you dont start a fire that can blow over onto someone else s land that would not appreciate it. Ya my bullets cost abt 2 bucks each. but I wont create a fire with them. And I am not out there just making noise. I am shooting for a group at the bulls eye that I am aiming for. Suppose there is cheap ammo and then there is ammo that will get you a bulls eye if you read the wind and know how to hold the rifle on the mark while pulling the trigger.

I load API for about $1.25 a round, and APIT for about $1.75 a round.  I'm mostly scared of starting fires with the APIT, not so much the API.  It just doesn't burn long enough to catch anything on fire–– a quick flash like a fire cracker.  Most of the APIT don't either, but occasionally one won't destroy itself completely on impact and the tracer will burn for a second while lying on the ground.  That's where the real fire hazard is.  API is meant more for catching oil/fuel etc.. on fire inside of a vehicle or plane.  I shoot them in the Nevada desert and haven't even come close to catching anything on fire with them.  .30 cal tracers on the other hand....

AMAX loads run just about $3 a round.

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot a API at an old refrigerator,and the thing was an inferno for 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I shot a API at an old refrigerator,and the thing was an inferno for 15 minutes.

I've never had that luck with refrigerators  

You must have gotten lucky and smacked the refrigerant oil in the compressor

I shoot API's a lot and have never started a fire with them... but that's partly luck.

...Ya my bullets cost abt 2 bucks each. but I wont create a fire with them....

I have started a fire in the desert with a plain old ball round -so ANY 50 round can do it.

APIT's are dangerous because, unlike other 50 tracers, the compound cavity is in the penetrator itself.
When a spotter-tracer ricochets it breaks apart.  The tracer cavity/capule breaks away and usually doesn't go far.
APIT's will skip and go a looooooong way.

Always carry some water and a shovel when shooting.  
You never know when you'll need it, unless you forget it.
Then you know you'll need it for sure.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot API's a lot and have never started a fire with them... but that's partly luck.

I have started a fire in the desert with a plain old ball round -so ANY 50 round can do it.

APIT's are dangerous because, unlike other 50 tracers, the compound cavity is in the penetrator itself.
When a spotter-tracer ricochets it breaks apart.  The tracer cavity/capule breaks away and usually doesn't go far.

I noticed the other day with my first. 50 outing that the holes in the paper were charred by the ball ammo we were using.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed the other day with my first. 50 outing that the holes in the paper were charred by the ball ammo we were using.

Just burnt powder residue on the projectile. I have a target here too, with those same black edged holes from my first fun filled adventure using a big bore. Was using regular factory ball ammo. Nothing fancy.

Man those holes sure are large aren`t they??!
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just burnt powder residue on the projectile. I have a target here too, with those same black edged holes from my first fun filled adventure using a big bore. Was using regular factory ball ammo. Nothing fancy.

For sure, don't even need a spotting scope@100yds.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure, don't even need a spotting scope@100yds.

Hehehee!
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#13]

You guys are shooting out to 100yds with your .50s?  I don't like to shoot beyond 50yds yet.....

I just ordered 90rds from a fellow member of the American Eagle ball for $200 delivered.  I was thinking they will be descent brass for reloading after the rounds are spent.

so... $2.22 per round.

But since these are purchased for once fired brass... figure I would have paid $75 - $100 for the brass delivered.... $82.50 I say.... $117.50 for 90rds delivered or $1.31 per round is dang good.  The chance I'll be culling a 1/3 of the brass is far less too!

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ya but ball bullets as in the M33 have a mild steel core. I was referring to the 750 gr AMax bullet that is lead core with a copper jacket. Again mixing apples and oranges. Steel even if it is mild steel will generate a spark when struck or being struck..
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You guys are shooting out to 100yds with your .50s?  I don't like to shoot beyond 50yds yet.....

I just ordered 90rds from a fellow member of the American Eagle ball for $200 delivered.  I was thinking they will be descent brass for reloading after the rounds are spent.

so... $2.22 per round.

But since these are purchased for once fired brass... figure I would have paid $75 - $100 for the brass delivered.... $82.50 I say.... $117.50 for 90rds delivered or $1.31 per round is dang good.  The chance I'll be culling a 1/3 of the brass is far less too!

Well, I've only had my M99 out once since I got it and discovered that the Larue. 50 mount didn't work.....new mount with ZERO canr should be here this week, the hope to get it out again asap, dial it in at 100, then do some 300 yd stuff.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so... $2.22 per round.

Well, I've only had my M99 out once since I got it and discovered that the Larue. 50 mount didn't work.....new mount with ZERO canr should be here this week, the hope to get it out again asap, dial it in at 100, then do some 300 yd stuff.

What?

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so... $2.22 per round.

What?

NM  different thread.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so... $2.22 per round.

What?

NM  different thread.

Sorry, musta been the sauce I had last night.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 3:13:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I am loading up M17 tracers at $1.25 per including brass cost. Second loading only runs $0.75
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am loading up M17 tracers at $1.25 per including brass cost. Second loading only runs $0.75

Back about eight years ago I figured it up: 800 rounds reloaded would pay for the press, dies, scale, and tumbler.
After 800 rounds all that stuff was basically FREE!

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Surplus Ball from 1945 for .50 costs me £2.30 a bang & recent production  tracer costs me £5 a bang.....yes thats pounds sterling not $$$$
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]
OT
Hi Steve, good to see you posting. Have you been lurking or have I just not seen any of your recent post?
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Surplus Ball from 1945 for .50 costs me £2.30 a bang & recent production  tracer costs me £5 a bang.....yes thats pounds sterling not $$$$

That is dedication!  
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#24]
American Eagle 660 stuff is $29.95/10 and PMC is running $27. Won't buy the Hornady at $70!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OT
Hi Steve, good to see you posting. Have you been lurking or have I just not seen any of your recent post?

Hello  mate   - Mostly lurking on here - Tend to stay within the confines of the UK Hometown forum
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top