Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2007 4:14:11 AM EDT

I have some money and I am wondering if I should by a new 1911 (I already have one) and a Evo-9 supressor for my Beretta, or go with a PS90 ?

I already have a .22 can , I already have a bunch of other niche's filled in the collection, but have nothing that would be in the same catagory as the PS90
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

There will be an endless supply of naysayers saying that the PS90 is no better that a 22magnum blahblahblah.

Whatever.  That train of thought I should just own a 22LR and a 38 special.

Life is short.  Enjoy what you can.  If you can afford it then buy it.  I am tired of the ballistics experts and cost complainers.

When you die are you going to say "At least I did not have a PS90 or insert whatever gun you could of gotten?"

As long as your not in the poor house cause of your buys then enjoy.

Max
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Definetly.

Come over to the PS90 forum and be mesmerized by the photos :)

Visit: ps90forum.com
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want an expensive toy gun that uses expensive plinking ammo, go with the PS90.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you want an expensive toy gun that uses expensive plinking ammo, go with the PS90.

I have to disagree with your characterization of the PS90 as a "toy gun".  It is indeed expensive, and since there is no discount plinking ammuntion available, and you have to use the real thing, yes, ammo is expensive.  It is a cheap cartridge to reload, however.

The PS90 may look like a toy, but mine has been extremely reliable.  It has proven to be more accurate than my expectations.  That is 2 out of 3.  

Reloading for the PS90 is especially cheap when you consider the 100% brass recovery rate with the excellent brass catcher.  55grain FMJ bullets are cheap, primers are the same as any other round, and a pinch of HS6 works quite well.

Now, everything else about the PS90 is indeed expensive.  Like they used to say about yachts, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!

If you actually buy one, and shoot it, I don't think that you will regret it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I love that a gun that has been in military use for a decade, and used by the Secret Service for years is a 'toy gun'.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely, I plan on getting one myself
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I want one, even if it is a "toy gun".

It's like a mini AUG, and I love my AUG dearly.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I smile everytime I shoulder it. I do not regret my purchase.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I love that a gun that has been in military use for a decade, and used by the Secret Service for years is a 'toy gun'.

17 years, not decade :) also protects some of the most wealthy oil men in the world..
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#10]
PS90 BABY!!!!! YEAH !!!!!

Fill the niche and then fill the Closet with ammo for it.

Then start saving for a Fiveseven Pistol.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]
all my guns are toys
Buy one now before you can't!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The ps90 is a toy the same way an AK or AR is a toy, it is something fun to own and shoot. The ps90 is a wonderful example of modern firearms design, it is "a must have" IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#13]

I love the unintelligent rants people sometimes spew about the ps90.

It might seem toylike, but this 'toy' will put 10 rounds in a badguy's head without recoil affecting accuracy faster than he will drop to the ground dead. Those 'plinking rounds' work well if shot placements is right.

I like my ps90's, heck I'm selling one just so I can buy another even moe expensive 'toy', and still keep one ps90 for home defense.

Soo hard to decide which I'd grab in a homeinv scenario. 1911 with crimsontrace or ps90.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:12:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had my PS90 since Dec 05 and will tell you and anyone else that I know (who asks) that the PS90 is pretty much a toy gun. It uses ammo that is harder to find, more expensive, and less effective than the more conventional cartridges. The magazines are expensive and frail (had a few that jammed up at the range). The ammo has not been proven in combat. I've spoken to ballistics experts (in person) and they have not seen many positive results from the PDW cartridges (4.6x30 and 5.7x28) in defensive shootings or even offensive shootings.

Pros: It's short, but still not short enough. It was made to be SBRd and since SBRs are illegal in my state, my opinion of the PS90 stays. Otherwise, Light recoil, even less than 5.56 shot through a very heavy AR15 (easy to shoot).

Cons: Everything is expensive. Like I said, it is a toy gun. You keep buying more accessories for it and its lackluster performance stays the same. You need to buy aftermarket optics to get decent precision at anything farther than 50m. My stock MC-10-80 is worthless past 25 yd and is marginally effective at 25 yd (under the summer sun at 1200 hours, you can't get any brighter than that). You have to use velcro to prevent the ejection cover and hammer group from being whittled away like cheap plastic.

I've had other people shoot my PS90 and my AR15s, and everyone agreed that the AR15 was more fun to shoot and a much better overall buy. If FNH cut the ammo price down to about 10-20 cents per round, my opinion of the PS90 would change from "neat toy gun" to "fun to shoot plinker if you have the cash".

Don't get me wrong, the PS90 works fairly well. It just doesn't hold a candle compared to the AR15 IMHO based on price, performance, versatility, effectiveness, and fun factor (again, IMHO).
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You have to use velcro to prevent the ejection cover and hammer group from being whittled away like cheap plastic.

New to the gun; what's this about?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've had my PS90 since Dec 05 and will tell you and anyone else that I know (who asks) that the PS90 is pretty much a toy gun. It uses ammo that is harder to find, more expensive, and less effective than the more conventional cartridges. The magazines are expensive and frail (had a few that jammed up at the range). The ammo has not been proven in combat. I've spoken to ballistics experts (in person) and they have not seen many positive results from the PDW cartridges (4.6x30 and 5.7x28) in defensive shootings or even offensive shootings.

Pros: It's short, but still not short enough. It was made to be SBRd and since SBRs are illegal in my state, my opinion of the PS90 stays. Otherwise, Light recoil, even less than 5.56 shot through a very heavy AR15 (easy to shoot).

Cons: Everything is expensive. Like I said, it is a toy gun. You keep buying more accessories for it and its lackluster performance stays the same. You need to buy aftermarket optics to get decent precision at anything farther than 50m. My stock MC-10-80 is worthless past 25 yd and is marginally effective at 25 yd (under the summer sun at 1200 hours, you can't get any brighter than that). You have to use velcro to prevent the ejection cover and hammer group from being whittled away like cheap plastic.

I've had other people shoot my PS90 and my AR15s, and everyone agreed that the AR15 was more fun to shoot and a much better overall buy. If FNH cut the ammo price down to about 10-20 cents per round, my opinion of the PS90 would change from "neat toy gun" to "fun to shoot plinker if you have the cash".

Don't get me wrong, the PS90 works fairly well. It just doesn't hold a candle compared to the AR15 IMHO based on price, performance, versatility, effectiveness, and fun factor (again, IMHO).

... but I have 5 AR15s (Carbine, Rifle, SBR, .50 Beo and 9mm) . The niche the gun is filling is collectability and fun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#17]
When the casings fly out of the bottom facing ejection port they bang up the ejection port cover (a little used plastic piece that you can use to lock open the bolt group), the plastic front of the hammer group, which forms part of the back ejection port, and a little bit of the plastic of the ejection port itself.  Simple physics, like the brass marks and wear on an AR-15's brass deflector.  I have 3,000 rounds through mine and it is not particularly bad IMHO, and far from wearing out the plastic.  Some more obsessive types velcro it to prevent the dings.

I don't suppose I would buy it as my only gun, but I have AR-15s and mutiple pistols.  I bought it because of its unique operating features, its looks, because it was something I had never thought would be available on the commercial market and suddenly it was, so as a "toy" (like most of my firearms, in truth).  But I do use it as a home defense gun as well, I think it is better than my 9mm pistol in this respect.  I did have mine (I just bought a second one) SBR'd and I think it looks a lot better with the short barrel.  The original sight, while adequate for it intended purpose and state of the art back in the day, does wash out  and I replaced it with a black reticle sight which I like a lot.  They are now coming from the factory in a version with the black reticle sight for two or three hundred more, the "USG" model, I might try to get that intead of the standard model.

Should you buy it?  I wouldn't if it was your only gun, or it would cause you financial hardship, but I think it is a fun and interesting gun that fills a niche between rifle and pistol.  If you can SBR it I would consider that as well.

ETA I find it a lot of fun to shoot as well.    

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You have to use velcro to prevent the ejection cover and hammer group from being whittled away like cheap plastic.

New to the gun; what's this about?

Thanks

See here for pics of this...

ps90forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

New ammo is $729 per 2000 rounds at CMMG.
Try buying any 223 that is worth shit for less!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#21]
+1....slightly more than what you'd pay for 2000rnds of 5.56  ss109 ammo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have some money and I am wondering if I should by a new 1911 (I already have one) and a Evo-9 supressor for my Beretta, or go with a PS90 ?

I already have a .22 can , I already have a bunch of other niche's filled in the collection, but have nothing that would be in the same catagory as the PS90

Get the PS90, or better yet buy TWO PS90s, file the form-1 for both as SBRs.  Oh, and if you want a 9mm can, get the SWR Trident9.  A buddy has the Evo-9 and we both now have Trident9s...he bought his AFTER hearing mine side by side with his Evo.

If you don't get the PS90 I guarantee you'll be looking back ten years from now saying, "Man, I could have bought a PS90 for $1,300 back in 2007.  I CAN'T believe I didn't do it; they're $4,000 now"
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I like mine, it's a toy and I like toys.  It is like nothing else in inventory, fun to shoot if expensive, certainly more interesting than buying a fourth AR15, but of course I would buy a first AR15 ahead of a PS90.  If you've got the money to play with and like nifty Star Wars guns, go for it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#24]
By the way, who the hell voted for "Buy something for the wife?"  Are you outta your friggin' mind?
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I didn't vote buy something for the wife but I did get the PS-90 for my fiance.  She's a southpaw and no matter what she shoots and how I have her hold the gun she always gets hit with brass.  The only rifle that hasn't managed to do so is my HK-91.  She likes the little/no recoil and bottom eject.  Some sort of .22mag conversion would be cheaper to shoot and jsut as fun.

CMS
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Meh.  Personally I just dont think they are that cool.  If your really into the PS90 buy it.  For the price of a PS90, you could get a 5.56 can for your ARs AND a 9mm can.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top