Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/17/2013 7:08:41 AM EDT
Ok, I've read all I can on case trimmers, watched lots of videos on YouTube and still can't see one that sticks out as 'better' than the rest.  Lyman, RCBS, etc. they all seem to be ok until somebody points out a feature (or lack of one) on the trimmer they've got!  Has anyone here used more than one brand and therefore able to point me in the direction of a winner?  Or is the simple answer they all do the job so I should plump for any one?  Budget's not a problem, but I don't load enough to warrant a full-on motorised one.  I'll be using it on .223 cases.  I reload for rifle only: 44.40, .38sp and .357 but these cases don't seem to need trimming before I retire them anyway.  (I can't shoot pistol loads because here in the UK we're not allowed to own pistols since 1989.... I had six and the government confiscated them from me, a completely law abiding citizen with not so much as a traffic offence against me...)
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 7:28:07 AM EDT
http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

Worlds Finest Trimmer. Connect to Drill or Drill Press and off you go.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 7:31:36 AM EDT
I like my WFT from Little Crow Works. There is a less expensive version by Possum Hollow. Both are used with an electric drill after getting used to them I am able to trim with my WFT to about .001" of my goal. I used the Lee Zip Trim but it is a pain to chuck the brass. It works quite well, but isn't adjustable.  The lathe type hand trimmers are slow, I hav never used one...
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 7:46:23 AM EDT
I just bought a Lyman E-Zee trim. It's a new product, but it can also be chucked in a drill press for easy use. I was able to trim about 200 cases in 1/2 hr using it, and so far I really like it. My only beef is that it would be nice to have a way to anchor the locking mechanism, but I imagine you could run it in a decent vice and be ok.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/128681/lyman-e-zee-trim-hand-case-trimmer-rifle-set
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 8:19:02 AM EDT
my lyman was handed down about 10 ys ago and it is still going strong.

I have no complaints
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 10:26:46 AM EDT
Years ago I got the Lyman deal that looks like a small hand turned lathe . It works but is a pain and hard to keep in adjustment. If the adjustment slips you will cut too much. It also tends to create lots of burs that have to be carefully cleaned off.

I now use the Lee system. I have the hand trimmer and drive it with a little cheapo rechargeable screwdriver from wall mart. This thing is very basic and simple and is nearly impossible to cut too short. It makes a nice clean cut with a easily removed burr. I like it but truthfully I don't do large volumes
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 1:38:11 PM EDT
+1 on WFT from Little Crow Gun Works
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 1:40:05 PM EDT
I have a manual RCBS
I also have a power Lyman

Both have served me well for a lot of years

That said, neither was up to the task of trimming my homemade 300 blk even after annealing

Last week I got WFT in 300 blk, chucked it in my lathe and went to town.  Wonderful piece of kit, but not practical fore all my trimming needs as they are cartridge specific and $70 apiece.
If you have only one cartridge to trim for, I highly recommend it
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 5:46:50 PM EDT
I have the Forster case trimmer and I do NOT recommend it.  It's slow, inconsistent, and difficult to operate.  You also have to get different collets AND pilots.  My possum hollow is very quick and cheap, but it's case family dependent.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 8:15:21 AM EDT
Thanks for the contributions everyone.
I've plumped for the WFT from Little Crow Works.  Should be here next week as long as UK Customs don't bugger around when it comes through.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 8:37:27 AM EDT
Good choice!  I have a WFT for .308, .223, .260 rem, .338 lapua and 50 bmg.

How hard is it getting reloading components?
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 8:40:58 AM EDT
I have the Lyman universal trimmer and I have had issues with the adjustment slipping and the chuck popping off the brass.  I want to get a giraud now.

Link Posted: 4/18/2013 8:48:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Skyline_UK:
Thanks for the contributions everyone.
I've plumped for the WFT from Little Crow Works.  Should be here next week as long as UK Customs don't bugger around when it comes through.

Great choice. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 8:56:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2013 3:06:56 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
Originally Posted By Skyline_UK:
Has anyone here used more than one brand and therefore able to point me in the direction of a winner?  

I've used several trimmers but I have not used all trimmers.

I would have recommended the purchase of a Wilson trimmers as the best of all the manual trimmers.  It is both the most accurate trimmer on the market as well as being one of the least expensive.  If you are not doing large volumes, so a manual trimmer is acceptable, it is probably the way to go.  Like most manual trimmers, it has a power adapter so it can be motorized via a drill motor or power screwdriver.

Despite the Wilson trimmer's clean cutting, you would still need to deburr the inside and outside of the case mouths.

The Giraud is great but very expensive.  You have to do a lot of trimming (and shooting) to justify purchasing one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 10:21:45 AM EDT
One trimmer, since it's been fine for my needs: loading moderate amounts of target grade and plinking ammo over 18 years.

Lyman Universal chuck with powder drill adapter bar.

No collets needed and a decent assortment of pilots is provided.  Regular steel cutting heads (2) have been fine and still cut well after almost two decades, but carbide cutting heads are available for more cash.

Had an issue with the locking collar's face abrading the front side of the main bearing housing, but a thin, flat steel washer solved that issue years back.

For the $80 I paid for with power bar and extra cutting head, it's been a good product and still bangs them out.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:21:19 PM EDT
Has anybody tried the Lee Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer yet? The book I just got with my press says its new for 2013. Looks like it mounts to the press and you use a hand crank(?) to trim while the casing is held in a die. Sorry but just getting into reloading so some of the terms maybe off.

If it works maybe a nice option for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:26:36 PM EDT
I have an LE Wilson trimmer and is very accurate.  Set it once for the desired length and it perfect everytime.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:31:03 PM EDT
I have two Lyman trimmers, one for power drill use, the other older one for a paper weight.  The WFT looks to be my next purchase, the Lymans just will not cut consistent enough for precision rifle loads.  In a word, the newest one is a disappointment.  A friend let me demo his WFT and it does what much more expensive units do.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:53:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lte82:

Good choice!  I have a WFT for .308, .223, .260 rem, .338 lapua and 50 bmg.

How hard is it getting reloading components?

I don't see the 50 BMG as an option for the WFT, was it a special order?

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:15:26 PM EDT
WFT. the name is accurate!
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2013 9:32:41 PM EDT by DOC_2009]
I think one of the most important features in a trimmer is the ability to chamfer and debur as it trims.  This effectively turns 3 steps into 1 which makes a HUGE difference in brass processing time.  Below are a few of my vids on my two trimmer setups.  The first uses the old RCBS trimmer which used a collet to hold case and had a handle coming off the side.  This was a great design and allowed you to run it like I illustrate in the video.  It has the 3-way trimmer head on it so it trims/chamfers/deburs all at once.  The new one uses a shellplate system and has a lever coming off the back of it.  As I understand it the cases don't fall out by themselves on the new one which makes it a bit less efficient.  Last vid is of my baby, her name is Giraud but don't let the masculine name fool you, she's a beauty.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:31:21 PM EDT
I finally ordered the Giraud.  It's going to be 3+ months before it shows up  
Top Top