Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 2:48:21 PM EDT
So, I just bought a Savage MkII with the endstate of it being threaded and suppressed for a super quiet bolt action .22 Now, I just need to pick up some ammo for it.
I'm looking for several different types of ammo.
First, I need regular ammo that I'll shoot on a regular basis. I've got a decent amount of Fed bulk pack for my Remington 597 and my AR15 conversion but I don't know what kind of groups to expect with it. The local sporting goods store has Dynapoint for sale, this stuff and good?
Second, I want something  Match quality. Price isn't too much of an issue as I won't be using it that often...
Third, I need some subsonic ammo. I don't know much about this area and am open to all types of suggestions.  I am also going to pick up some Aguila Super Colibris when I can find some... How does the Aguila SSS shoot?

This rifle is mostly going to be used for discreet pest control.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've found that mine eats up pretty much anything I throw at it and still groups well.  I got some Winchester Western and Xpert and even it delivered decent accuracy.  For pest control, pretty much anything I've shot would work.  The SSS I've not shot out past a about 20 yards.  I've had such good luck with bulk ammo that I haven't bothered shooting anything else very often.  This weekend I'll probably break out some of the other ammo and see how groups look.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Wolf Match (2 kinds) and/or the Aquila SuperExtra in 38 or 40 grain.  All are subsonic.  Except for a few flyers every so often the Wolf Match is said to compare to Tenex.  Play around with different ammo if you like, but this is really all you will ever need for your application.  Enjoy the Savage.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#3]
My MK.II [BV] shoots the CCI 40gr. solids fairly well at 100. Match extra makes some nice groups at 50.
Mine too needs to be threaded for my Pilot. I expect to find a copper washed round for that combo as a lot of 'stuff' comes out of the can with the Wolf MT I have used with it on the CZ which was replaced with the Savage.
Love that Accutrigger btw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top