Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2012 3:20:35 PM EDT
Like the title says I'm getting a PVS-14 from a friend in trade for some work on his car.  I'm night vision illiterate.  Are there any definite need to knows about these?  I know the obvious about not pointing them at a light source.  But what about care and maintenance?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
While they are robust, it's advised to be a little gentle with them.  I've broken a couple.  

The bungee can serve a couple purposes.   One was already mentioned.  They also help to pull slack/wobble out of the mount if you go cheaper with the old school USGI kit.

Lit batteries are best.  If you use alk. batts, don't store them in the NV unit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the wonderful world of NV.  When I got my PVS-14 a few years ago I pretty much went nocturnal for a few months, but I'm lucky enough to be retired and have my own property so I can hunt pretty much any time I want.  I use a helmet mount for general viewing and mount the NVD to my AR behind a day scope once a hog or coyote is spotted.  I used some double sided tape to attach a small red keylight to the reciever so I can see to mount the NVD.  It is a bit of a PITA but not too bad once you get used to it.  I also have a laser mounted to the rifle in case I come up on a hog at close range and don't have time to mount it to the rifle.  If you're only going to hunt with it an IR laser isn't really necessary unless you just want one.  I took a regular red laser and made a filter for it from an old computer floppy disk.  That tones down the brightness to the point where it's barely visible without the NV and reduces the "bloom" through the NV.  Mine came with a lanyard that I keep around my neck at all times, even when it's attached to the rifle.  As far as lights go I have three that I use.  One of them, a Streamlight SuperTac IR is attached to the rifle and allows me to see through the scope to 300 yards or more.  I also have one attached to my helmet that is just a regular Surefire G2 with a drop in IR "bulb" that comes in handy when riding around on my ATV.  The one I use the most it a Streamlignt Stinger with an IR filter attached that I use as a general purpose handheld light.  Also, if you can find a good used one, a 3X magnifier will come in very handy.  There's a little bit of a learning curve but just use it as much as you can and read up on what others are doing and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:03:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As a night-shifter, I found all sorts of uses for my NVGs.

They worked really well for checking on the kids while they were sleeping.  Nothing like being able to change the baby's diaper at 2AM without turning on the lights.

Now that is freaking hilarious.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They worked really well for checking on the kids while they were sleeping.  Nothing like being able to change the baby's diaper at 2AM without turning on the lights.

I'm so going to try that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I needed to check on my youngest at some unholy dark hour, trying to go in without awakening him.

I tripped over a toy, bloodied my shins on the rocking chair's ottoman, and bumped my head against the crib. Really stealthy. It woke up his brother in the other room, my wife on the other side of the house, and the dog. That PVS14 isn't doing me any good out in the gun safe instead of by my bed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Barbie clatters to the floor.

TGM: "Go down with it. Until I get tired. GO!"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Welcome to the wonderful world of NV.  When I got my PVS-14 a few years ago I pretty much went nocturnal for a few months, but I'm lucky enough to be retired and have my own property so I can hunt pretty much any time I want.  I use a helmet mount for general viewing and mount the NVD to my AR behind a day scope once a hog or coyote is spotted.  I used some double sided tape to attach a small red keylight to the reciever so I can see to mount the NVD.  It is a bit of a PITA but not too bad once you get used to it.  I also have a laser mounted to the rifle in case I come up on a hog at close range and don't have time to mount it to the rifle.  If you're only going to hunt with it an IR laser isn't really necessary unless you just want one.  I took a regular red laser and made a filter for it from an old computer floppy disk.  That tones down the brightness to the point where it's barely visible without the NV and reduces the "bloom" through the NV.  Mine came with a lanyard that I keep around my neck at all times, even when it's attached to the rifle.  As far as lights go I have three that I use.  One of them, a Streamlight SuperTac IR is attached to the rifle and allows me to see through the scope to 300 yards or more.  I also have one attached to my helmet that is just a regular Surefire G2 with a drop in IR "bulb" that comes in handy when riding around on my ATV.  The one I use the most it a Streamlignt Stinger with an IR filter attached that I use as a general purpose handheld light.  Also, if you can find a good used one, a 3X magnifier will come in very handy.  There's a little bit of a learning curve but just use it as much as you can and read up on what others are doing and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

What day scope are you using?  This how I want to set mine up, but it seems that eye relief would be a huge issue.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm just using an inexpensive Simmons 4X12 scope with side focus.  I needed something that would let me get both the crosshairs and target in focus at the same time which I wasn't able to do with the non-side focus scope I had been using.  I wasn't sure the SF model would do what I wanted, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a scope only to find out it wouldn't work, so I got the Simmons and planned on getting something better if it worked out.  Well, it works well and as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so I just kept the Simmons and spent the money I saved on other toys.  The Simmons is clear and I've never had a problem with it holding zero and overall it's a pretty good scope for the $110 I paid for it.  A hunting buddy of mine recently got his PVS-14 and uses the same set-up I have and likes it as well.

The eye relief isn't a problem at all.  I mounted the day scope forward and mount the NVD right behind it so that my eye is about as far behind the NVD as it would be behind a regular scope.  If I want to use the rifle without the NVD I have to lean forward some to get the proper eye relief on the Simmons.  It's a little akward but with an adjustable buttstock it's not that difficult.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wtf....
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#16]
@drizzle, is the PVS-14 a Pinnacle unit? If it is you can not mount it on a 308 or larger caliber rifle and trust me when I say it, you will want to mount it. Dragonredairsoft has helmets that work great unless you plan on jumping out of helicopters. Get a grenade pouch with the Velcro on it, attach it to the back of the helmet, then duct tape 1 lb of lead together and place it in the pouch along with a 4 pack AA battery holder, it is a perfect counter weight once you put the NV on the helmet and you now have spare batteries. Get the 3x magnifier and a QD for the PVS-14 then make sure you get the Torch PRO IR light, I've tried other ones and they don't compare to what this one can do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Beyond the normal do and don'ts easily found on this forum with a little reading I have my favorites. Save yourself time and discomfort and get a good helmet. I have spent so much coin with cheap options. Don't skimp with the helmet. Your head will thank me. My favorite and must have accessories are the Surefire M1 (great little pocket illuminator), 3X afocal and a good IR laser if you plan to hunt.

Back in the day we had little choice but to mount a 14 to the rifle. With good IR lasers available to all this has changed the game. The Rhino mounts work and are cheap, you will find real GOOD mounts are not cheap. You can get by with a Rhino but you will soon find an upgrade is in your future.

Listen to the mistakes others have made and you will save a ton of cash. Buy it right the first time. I have wasted so much money buying junk only to find out it was junk. Buy it right once and cry once. Best advice I can give you. Read and listen to the guys in this forum. We have all been where you are now. Welcome to night vision. Dust off your credit card...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top