Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2010 8:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 11:28:26 AM EDT by Commando223]
It's been a over a month since I've sent in my C&R application one copy to the ATF and one to the local PD. I get a call last week that the chief of police wants me to come in about an application, first thing I think is he don't know what it is and thinks its something like im applying for full auto weapons or something. I'm not a felon or anything and have no problems buying guns has this happend to anyone before? I just hope he don't get me denied if he's anti gun or something...
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:15:17 PM EDT
IIRC, you don't need his approval, you just need to inform him.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:16:28 PM EDT
No, there isn't supposed to be interaction between the police chief and yourself. For a C&R, the only reason to send a copy to the sheriff is to notify them that you intend to get one and if they have some beef with it, their recourse is to contact the ATF about it, and not you. So unless he notified the ATF, your application should be still processing. A month or more isn't out of the norm. It took about a month and a half for me to receive mine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:16:38 PM EDT
For more than one reason this should be in the C&R forum, but the copy to him is an informational courtesy only afaik.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2010 8:18:28 PM EDT by Gloftoe]
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2010 8:19:50 PM EDT by Commando223]
Sure, sorry I posted in the wrong area. I'm far south in the Hidalgo county area.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:19:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:21:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Commando223:
It's been over a month since I've sent in my C&R application one copy to the ATF and one to the local PD. I get a call last week that the chief of police wants me to come in about an application, first thing I think is he don't know what it is and thinks is something like im applying got full auto weapons or something. I'm not a felon or anything and have no problems buying guns has this happend to anyone before? I just hope he don't get me denied if he's anti gun or something...

It's probably this. He's thinking it's NFA forms, or you want to become a dealer etc.

I'd bet a weeks pay once he understands what the Curio & Relic license is, he'll be all "Oh, so you get an ATF license so you can buy 50 year-old bolt actions direct to your house without needing a gun-store... sorry!"

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:22:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZedsDeadBaby:

Yep, fuck em, don't go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:27:38 PM EDT
I live in collin county never had any issues the 2x i mailed my c&r info in. I did stick a post it note to the form just noting the fact nothing was required on their part i was just informing them per atf rules.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:30:41 PM EDT
Tell him you don't like dudes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:31:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2010 8:35:04 PM EDT by Soybomb]
I'd be a nice guy and call and talk and see what he wants and try to explain the process to him a little and let him know that you're applying for a collectors license for 50 year old firearms and gently tell him that you aren't asking for permission as much as notifying him so that if he had any objections based on a criminal record he could contact the ATF. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on meeting with him.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:38:06 PM EDT

I guess I am the optimist here.

I'd offer to meet the guy by the PD and buy him a cup of coffee. Likely be a positive experience for both of you.

I have never met a police chief that I thought was a jerk. Most are pretty decent guys. It is a political position after all.

What do you have to lose? Never hurts to have one of the good guys on your side.

-Z
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2010 8:43:10 PM EDT by Skibane]
Originally Posted By Soybomb:
I'd be a nice guy and call and talk and see what he wants and try to explain the process to him a little and let him know that you're applying for a collectors license for 50 year old firearms and gently tell him that you aren't asking for permission as much as notifying him so that if he had any objections based on a criminal record he could contact the ATF. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time on meeting with him.

That sounds like good advice.

Your C&R notice probably isn't the only one he'll ever see. By talking with him, you may help prevent him from sending similar meeting requests to other C&R applicants in your county. It would certainly be better than leaving him in his current misinformed condition.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:42:53 PM EDT

This. I just mine a copy with no note or explanation.
Never heard a peep. Did the same when I renewed it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:56:25 PM EDT

A 'Girly Man'?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:02:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:41:29 PM EDT
When I applied for my C&R I sent a copy to my CLEO as required. He sent the copy back to me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:10:36 PM EDT
Meet with the Chief, get on his good side. That will make it MUCH easier when you want to do some form 1 or form 4 paperwork

If he thinks you're o.k.

On the other hand, If he IS a DICK, and thinks no one should be allowed to have NFA items, you'll know ahead of time

that you will have to go the trust route.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:43:27 AM EDT

Correct
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:51:20 AM EDT
Hey, you might miss out on some good doughnuts if you just send a letter
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:30:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LazyAndy:
No, there isn't supposed to be interaction between the police chief and yourself. For a C&R, the only reason to send a copy to the sheriff is to notify them that you intend to get one and if they have some beef with it, their recourse is to contact the ATF about it, and not you. So unless he notified the ATF, your application should be still processing. A month or more isn't out of the norm. It took about a month and a half for me to receive mine.

This. It's not like NFA forms, where you need approval from local LEO, it's just a courtesy notifying them that you're applying for a type of FFL. I'm not sure why you'd even be required to see your Sheriff. To be polite, I guess you could call and inform him of the law, instead of him wasting your time with a meeting of some sort.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:45:21 AM EDT
Can he refuse my licence for any reason by calling the ATF and saying no? or dose there have to be a reason like a criminal record?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:27:41 AM EDT
Can he refuse my licence for any reason by calling the ATF and saying no? or dose there have to be a reason like a criminal record?

Your application, or a copy of it, does NOT go to the CLEO. You're only required to notify him that you're applying. He has no say so whatsoever in the matter. He can't refuse it because you're not applying to him for a 03FFL.

You really kind of screwed things up by not following directions. BATF spells out the procedure and nowhere does it say to send a COPY of your application to the CLEO. Read everything they sent you multiple times to allow it to sink in.

Dutch

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:45:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dutch51:

Your application, or a copy of it, does NOT go to the CLEO. You're only required to notify him that you're applying. He has no say so whatsoever in the matter. He can't refuse it because you're not applying to him for a 03FFL.

You really kind of screwed things up by not following directions. BATF spells out the procedure and nowhere does it say to send a COPY of your application to the CLEO. Read everything they sent you multiple times to allow it to sink in.

Dutch

It most certainly DOES say that a copy needs to go to the CLEO. I have the application right in front of me. This is only to notify them, but they have no legal means of denying you the license.

Go meet with him and see what he wants. I hand delivered the forms to their office. They had never seen one before, outside of a type 01 FFL and were curious to hear about it. Not only that, but my Sheriff was enthusiastic about it and thought it was pretty cool. Hopefully, yours has the same attitude and if you explain it in a rational, mature manner, there probably won't be any issues. But, if you come across as some type of Asshole revolutionary, you're setting yourself up for trouble. They're going to know about it, one way or another. How they view you over the deal is probably more a result of how you handle the situation. Half the guys that have posted on this would probably end up on some type of list, when they could have just avoided the attention by nicely answering a couple of questions and moving on. Don't be stupid.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:11:38 AM EDT

Dutch

Sorry Dutch, but I have to give you the for that comment.
As it was posted above me it says right at the bottom of the app, Copy2-CLEO.

OP, as others mentioned, meet with him. It may be beneficial in the future.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:56:32 PM EDT

Dutch

Wrong - there's a second copy of the application with a couple sections omitted that goes straight to your CLEO. It gets mailed to your CLEO at the same time as the ATF's copy.

I would say call back to set up a time to meet and to ask exactly why he wants to meet. You may be able to answer any questions he has over the phone and save some time for both of you, but if he still wants to meet, I'd say do it and be as polite and helpful as possible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:19:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2010 9:20:08 PM EDT by 19Cohiba75]
Originally Posted By TheMountaineer:

Dutch

Wrong - there's a second copy of the application with a couple sections omitted that goes straight to your CLEO. It gets mailed to your CLEO at the same time as the ATF's copy.

I would say call back to set up a time to meet and to ask exactly why he wants to meet. You may be able to answer any questions he has over the phone and save some time for both of you, but if he still wants to meet, I'd say do it and be as polite and helpful as possible.

The Mountaineer is right !!! I had to submit a copy to my Local PD when I mailed out the copy to the ATF. They never called me though. The NEW applications are done this way now, 2 copies come in a packet. Read up!!! Things alway's change !!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:25:12 AM EDT
That's why you attach a cover letter informing the CLEO that no action is required on his part.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:11:03 PM EDT
Ah... it's changed from what it use to be, my mistake. Use to be just a notification and not a copy. I'm out of date:(.

Dutch
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:09:21 PM EDT
This.

I wouldn't meet with him myself.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:09:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2010 6:13:52 PM EDT by Engineer5]
Here is a copy of the letter I send to my CLEO when I do mine.............

Dear Chief XXXXXXXX,

Enclosed please find, as per federal regulation, a copy of my C&R FFL renewal application.
You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above.

Respectfully,

XXXXX XXXXXX

I would go ahead and meet with him. You might have a chance to educate him and make a friend at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:52:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

Dear Chief XXXXXXXX,

Enclosed please find, as per federal regulation, a copy of my FFL renewal application.
You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above.

Respectfully,

XXXXX XXXXXX

I would go ahead and meet with him. You might have a chance to educate him and make a friend at the same time.

Solid advice
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:53:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Crimson_Trace:

I guess I am the optimist here.

I'd offer to meet the guy by the PD and buy him a cup of coffee. Likely be a positive experience for both of you.

I have never met a police chief that I thought was a jerk. Most are pretty decent guys. It is a political position after all.

What do you have to lose? Never hurts to have one of the good guys on your side.

-Z

+1, no need to make enemies needlessly. No downside to at least calling and talking to the guy. You'll still get your C&R regardless....
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:45:38 AM EDT
No harm meeting with him. Maybe he wants to put a face to the app. Never know, he may also have a C&R.

BTW, Both CLEOs I've sent my apps to didn't respond. I also sent a short letter to the effect of:

"Per BATF regulations, I am sending you a copy of my C&R (collectors) FFL application.
No action is required by you or your office. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at xxx.xxx.xxxx"

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:25:29 AM EDT
When I reapplied after a move, I dropped by the local PD and hand-delivered the form to the Chief of Police. Receptionist told me to wait, took it back to his office, and then returned and told me the Chief wanted to talk to me. I was kind of wondering what was up, but it turned out he just wanted to talk to somebody that had a C&R license, because he was considering applying for one himself. Just wanted some first-hand info on the benefits of having a C&R license. Turned out to be a really cool guy, and being new in town, it was a positive way to introduce myself to the local LE.

YMMV; this was small-town Kansas.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:31:59 AM EDT
Another consideration - a good impression might help future prospects for CCW in "may issue" states.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:13:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2010 11:16:14 AM EDT by navvet89]

QFT.

I called my local Sheriffs office and told the nice lady I needed a mailing address for the Sherriff so I could send a copy of my C&R FFL application in and did she have anyone in particular I needed to send it too. She said "what is that", I told her just a courtesy notification of a BATFE firearms license application. She said "ok, well, we will probably throw it away", I just mailed it on to them.

eta: I followed all the pointers in the "how to apply for your C&R license" thread, including the form letter to the local LEO thats there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:45:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:57:33 AM EDT
If you do go, make sure you leave your dog at home.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:30:56 AM EDT
UPDATE*

I missed the meeting thinking we can just handle this over the phone, I just don't have time for this...Fall semester just started im taking 4 classes (16hours) and I work so right now i'm extremely busy...

So anyway they call me saying I missed the meeting and apparently they think im applying to be a police officer. So I tell them it's for a firearms license and if he has a few question maybe we can handle this over the phone explaining my situation that im very busy. They tell me oh no you have to come in person or we will deny the application... wtf am I missing here???

Arfcom please advise I can't or shouldn't have to miss work or school for this $30 collector license I do want it but this seems crazy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:47:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 7:50:54 AM EDT by Deep-Blue]

UPDATE*

They tell me oh no you have to come in person or we will deny the application... wtf am I missing here???

How can they deny it, they don't even get to approve it? They don't sign anything. It's akin to the Sheriff saying he's going to deny a marriage licence.

I think they're still confused as to what it is you're doing. Maybe copy/paste the sample letters that others gave as an example (I used something similar when I sent mine in) onto a word document, print it out, and send it in, with a copy of the regulation?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:58:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Schlange:
If you do go, make sure you leave your dog at home.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:14:25 AM EDT

UPDATE*

I missed the meeting thinking we can just handle this over the phone, I just don't have time for this...Fall semester just started im taking 4 classes (16hours) and I work so right now i'm extremely busy...

So anyway they call me saying I missed the meeting and apparently they think im applying to be a police officer. So I tell them it's for a firearms license and if he has a few question maybe we can handle this over the phone explaining my situation that im very busy. They tell me oh no you have to come in person or we will deny the application... wtf am I missing here???

Arfcom please advise I can't or shouldn't have to miss work or school for this $30 collector license I do want it but this seems crazy.

They probably think that you want NFA toys. Send them the letter explaining what it is and highlight the part where they don't have to do anything.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:35:14 AM EDT
You kept copies, right? Make another copy of the CLEO page of your copy, highlight the part that says it is informational only, attach one of the above example letters and remail or fax it to him. Unless there is some special requirement in YOUR state or you have a criminal history he thinks the ATF should know about he has NO ability to affect your license application.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:26:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2010 10:29:17 AM EDT by wildturl1]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

Dear Chief XXXXXXXX,

Enclosed please find, as per federal regulation, a copy of my C&R FFL renewal application.

Respectfully,

XXXXX XXXXXX

?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:36:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Deep-Blue:
How can they deny it, they don't even get to approve it? They don't sign anything. It's akin to the Sheriff saying he's going to deny a marriage licence.
Here ya go.

BTW, if you scheduled a meeting and didn't attend, it reflects very poorly on you. If the person on the phone threatened to deny the application, I tell them to go ahead and do it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:40:20 AM EDT
I never understood why they even need a letter, I'm sure the atf has better reources for information on applicants than they local sheriff will have. It sounds like they are idiots or high on power. By the time you are done playing with them you will probably have the C&R. After getting the C&R that when I would like to go see them and let him put his cards on the table first.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:06:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:11:26 PM EDT
You do not need his approval.

With that in mind, it was in poor taste to skip out on a meeting without at least calling to cancel. Odds are, he'll remember it, and when it's time for something that DOES require his approval, he won't be so accomodating.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:13:30 PM EDT
I'm guessing the Sheriff wasn't busy at all....you live in Mayberry?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top