Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:29:26 PM EDT
I want to re-barrel my M1 since the barrel is pretty much a smoothbore. Bought it as a service grade from the CMP last September. What are my options, price-wise? Something chrome lined would be cool too, since I'm so lazy about cleaning.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:05:32 AM EDT
[#1]
fadedsun,

It's a Service Grade only a year old and the bore is shot???    Wow, you must have REALLY shot a HUGE AMOUNT of ammo in the last year to bring the bore down from Service Grade spec to ready to re-tube.

The barrel on a Service Grade rifle should be new to near new.  MW has to be less than "3" to pass, TE, though not nearly as important to accuracy, still has to be below "5".

What were the TE- MW readings when you got it???  What are they now??

Are you SURE that it needs a re-barreling??  If accuracy was not up to snuf and have you dis-satisfied with the rifle...   have you tightened the wood to action fit and done other things to improve accuracy first??

wondering....

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:13:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I want to re-barrel my M1 since the barrel is pretty much a smoothbore. Bought it as a service grade from the CMP last September. What are my options, price-wise? Something chrome lined would be cool too, since I'm so lazy about cleaning.

tanks rifle shop

I am not aware of a chrome lined M1 barrel. Get yourself a Boresnake. Makes the awful task of bore cleaning a snap. Just make sure to use a real brush, bore solvent and patch a few times a year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I am not aware of a chrome lined M1 barrel. Get yourself a Boresnake. Makes the awful task of bore cleaning a snap. Just make sure to use a real brush, bore solvent and patch a few times a year.

Fulton Armory sells a nice chrome lined Garand barrel in .308 or 30.06 for $255. I ordered one in .308 last January & received it last month, It was worth the wait!! Shoots great & cleans up like my M1A.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I had mine rebarreled as the muzzle wear was so deep that crowning or counterboring would have no effect.  So, I went on a quest to find an identical replacment. It took a little while but believe it or not, I found one in eBay.  There are still many listed there and you can do a search by simply typing  "Garand Barrel" in the search string.  I was successful in finding a duplicate for my old one so the rifle remained "original" to when I purchased it.  The cost to have the barrel installed was only $35 + s/h.   At Camp Perry, that rifle shot outstanding groups and I could not be happier.

Just a suggestion.

Rome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top