Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/23/2003 8:39:59 PM EDT
Im going with a DSA built rifle. But, cant decide between the carbine and the standard STG-58 rifles so a few questions.

1. How much worse is the muzzle flash/blast with the carbine?

2. Is the carbine prone to more functioning problems?

3. How great is the difference in accuracy between the two barrel lengths?

4. Has anyone chrongraphed both to compare the difference in muzzle velocities?

5. Any problem with the carbine's rear sight elevation notches since I'm guessing they use the same rear sight for both rifles?

Thanks,

Jim
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:44:58 PM EDT
Yea, what he asked.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:00:20 PM EDT
The blast with either is pretty bad with the fake Stoll hider DSA uses. Prolly a bit worse on the carbine, but not much.

The carbine will not be any less accurate, but you will loose 150 or so FPS in velocity.

The carbine may be a bit more squirrley in terms of reliability. If it gives you any problem, the fix is simple. You'll need a drill and a few drill bits. This is really something you can do yourself if it needs it. I had a DSA carbine and mine ran perfectly from day one.

The sights can be an issue. With the carbine, you may find you have to put the front sight at its lowest position and move the rear to the 400 setting to get a good 2" high at 100 (a good battlefield zero).

Does that help?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:26:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cliffy109:
The blast with either is pretty bad with the fake Stoll hider DSA uses. Prolly a bit worse on the carbine, but not much.

IM Planerench & see if he can hook you up with a cover for the muzzle brake. I'm lucky enough to have one of his early prototypes & it works like a champ.

-hanko
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:37:47 AM EDT
I like the DSA brake.

I use it to payback all the AR-10 shooters that blow my crap off the bench from three stalls down.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 11:24:34 AM EDT
Thanks guys.

Exactly what I wanted to know. I really like the look of the carbine. Ive built a few STG kit rifles and had great luck - except my 'friends' always seem to know when to make offers when Im broke! So Im currently Fal-less and need to get that fixed.
Top Top