Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2018 10:51:31 PM EDT
Is Vltor not making them anymore? If not, why?

Ive seen some posts saying they have ones made by “SWD.”  Who is that?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I gathered whatever they manufacture us receivers out of whether it's a billet or what, there was a big batch that was out of spec. Steyr had to send over receiver castings so that they could be milled out and rifles assembeld. Those markings mean it is an Austrian receiver casting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I gathered whatever they manufacture us receivers out of whether it's a billet or what, there was a big batch that was out of spec. Steyr had to send over receiver castings so that they could be milled out and rifles assembeld. Those markings mean it is an Austrian receiver casting.
View Quote
You are correct.

The receivers are marked SWD, they make the factory Steyr AUG castings for Steyr Austria.

VLTOR still machines the unfinished receivers.

Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Where is the SWD marking? Gonna go check my rifles to see if I got one
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where is the SWD marking? Gonna go check my rifles to see if I got one
View Quote
Its located on the bottom side of the receiver in the middle. I have a pic of mine in this post.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its located on the bottom side of the receiver in the middle. I have a pic of mine in this post.
View Quote
And if you compare the typical cast receiver made in Canada for Steyr to the European SWD version you'll notice a large difference in how they compare structurally before and after machining.

Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorta hoping I get my funds in order soon, think it'd be nifty to have one of these SWD receiver AUGs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Are the end results any different?  One stronger the other?  Different weights?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And if you compare the typical cast receiver made in Canada for Steyr to the European SWD version you'll notice a large difference in how they compare structurally before and after machining.

https://i.imgur.com/JLNC3oU.jpg
View Quote
That appears to be a forging. Can you give more details about Canadian AUG receivers? I wasn’t aware Steyr had a presence in Canada. The AUG is not available for civilian purchase in Canada.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That appears to be a forging. Can you give more details about Canadian AUG receivers? I wasn’t aware Steyr had a presence in Canada. The AUG is not available for civilian purchase in Canada.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, maybe it's a forging, don't know. I was told they are castings.

The first ~10,000+ "0%" castings originated from Canada since the Sabre Defence era. I assume subsequent castings either came from the same Canadian source as a smaller lot or from a new source that eventually didn't meet their specifications - hence the recent rejection of a large lot and the sourcing of SWD castings from Europe to hold over production.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Eh, maybe it's a forging, don't know. I was told they are castings.

The first ~10,000+ "0%" castings originated from Canada since the Sabre Defence era. I assume subsequent castings either came from the same Canadian source as a smaller lot or from a new source that eventually didn't meet their specifications - hence the recent rejection of a large lot and the sourcing of SWD castings from Europe to hold over production.
View Quote
Definitely looks like a forging. It has the forging seam which is the tell.

Thanks for the back story re: Canada. I didn’t know that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
As in the European SWD ones being better?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not to say one is better than the other, just that there are major differences between the two. I think it's neat because of what it is, but there probably isn't any extra value to it right now apart from an AUG collection.

If you want an AUG, buy an AUG. If you end up with this type receiver then you have something the majority doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not to say one is better than the other, just that there are major differences between the two. I think it's neat because of what it is, but there probably isn't any extra value to it right now apart from an AUG collection.

If you want an AUG, buy an AUG. If you end up with this type receiver then you have something the majority doesn't.
View Quote
but what are the differences?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's super special and will make you a Teutonic operator
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
One is pretty much entirely machined to reach the final product, the other is cast to have less material as a "0%" block of aluminum.

Aphex's picture
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#16]
In Austria they are probably all drooling over our billet receivers
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the machined billet mo better.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting thread...I don't believe my AUG receiver has any markings on the bottom whatsoever
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting thread...I don't believe my AUG receiver has any markings on the bottom whatsoever
View Quote
Mine too. Sabre leftover? Raytheon contract?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have a newer Vltor receiver. ATF variance lets it be so.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was Raytheon contracted by Steyr at some point?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet, thanks mal

I *thought* I heard Raytheon was doing some machining.  No facts, just conjecture.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Abrams bought Vltor, so technically Abrams is doing the machining. I wouldn't be surprised if Vltor is just a brand now and Abrams machines everything.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Abrams bought Vltor, so technically Abrams is doing the machining. I wouldn't be surprised if Vltor is just a brand now and Abrams machines everything.
View Quote
I guess the Bren 10 will be here any day now then...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top