Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 3:23:15 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a large backpack for longer trips (3-5 days) plus,
I will be carrying some extra stuff...I was looking at the Snugpak Rocket
and Bergen, they are REALLY affordable at less than 200 bucks...
material is 500D Corduraa...

I was after the Tac Tailor Extended Operations Pack but couldn't find a
good price on that one...

So, any comments on Snugpaks Quality or any other ideas what to look at?

As always, thanks guys!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
By "larger pack", what size are you actually look for?  3,000 ci, 4000 ci, 5000 ci.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't very specific there, was I?  

I'm looking for a "base" pack of min. 3000 cubic inches, the TT Ext. Op. Pack
would fulfill that requirement.
If I choose a pack of that size I'm planning to add side pouches, upping that to
something around 4000-4500, whenever necessary.

The Snugpak Rocket has 4200 right out the door, the larger Bergen even 6000.
I believe 6000 will be overkill but, with the side pouches detached, the Bergen
would be 4200, too.

So, basically, the goal is 4000-4500, give or take, with some modularity appreciated.

any comment on Snugpak Quality?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the rocket pack, had it since about 2004. i really like the internal frame and the bag has done well through many overseas trips (backpacking in europe- not a combat overseas kinda thing) i have taken it camping and its done well. the furthest i have walked with it loaded was just a few miles- not days, weeks or anything like that. The bag has a big interior, and both of the small bags to the side are just bags nothing fancy. there is no internal seperation in the compartments besides a little pocket on the inside of the main bag. not that its a bad thing but if you have little stuff to stick around you are really limited. on the outside between the 2 outside bags there is a mesh netting that you can store some things in there (20oz water bottle etc). the rain cover(s) in the bottom are great, i have had plenty of use out of them. The only real big down with this thing is the sliders on the straps (little push button things that lossen and tighten on the strings) are cheap and they break easy- 5$ fix at a craft store. hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I almost got one but passed and got a TT MALICE...that said I never saw the Rocket in person until one of the guys in my unit got one in country, I'm glad I went with TT.

To me the shoulder straps looked underbuilt for the weight we carry, that was the biggest thing I noticed which doesn't sound like too much but it makes a world of difference when you gotta hump that thing for a long time with lots of water, ammo, and comms gear like my friend does. Now if you're not carrying heavy shit and are more using it for civilian type applications, it might be just fine. But I figure, it's better to buy overbuilt and not need it than underbuilt and need more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Funshot, CeeDub..thanks!!! this is the kind of info I'm looking
for. keep it coming!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top