BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 6:02:09 PM EDT
So who here would be interested in seeing/buying a re-release the
S&W 10mm auto pistols?? Maybe one or two
models at first.

Need to drum of some evidence for Smith&Wesson that
there are people out there that would like S&W  rerelease the 10mm auto again.

So come on, raise your hands, make yourself be heard.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
No thanks.  A buddy of mine had one of these, it started shaking itself apart after about 300 rounds and it was a handful to shoot.  Only pistol I have seen that can take sustained firing of 10mm is the Glock.  Plus the perceived recoil is milder.

I take it your experience with S&W was better?
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I would buy a new 1006 in a heatbeat! I have never heard of them shooting apart. If that happened he had a lemon.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
No real sense in getting a Glock if you cannot get hicap mags reasonably THey are $100-$150 each. THe S&W 10mm are 5 for $100 from KY imports.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually my experience with my 1006 has been great, I changed the stock grips, bought some full power 10mm loads, Texas Ammo, it is just a lot of fun, yea, the recoil is evident but so what??
The only time I am happy banging away with my 226 is if I am shooting +P+ loads, which is no comparison to the 10mm, I am just saying the 10mm round is damn fun and I like, alot.

I have nothing against Glocks or EAA, I just would like to see S&W come out with a 10mm auto again.

At least with Smith 10's you do not have to worry about someday finding hi-cap mags for sale at a low low price of $100-$150 and Non Drop free at that.

I don't know, call me odd but I sure like the 1006 and 1076, they just ROCK...Me a little guy too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Over the years I have owned the S&W  1076, 1086 and 1006 and all 3 have been excellent guns...
I've also had a few Delts Elites.  The 10mm round is a hoot to shoot...
I think the 10 has a small but very dedicated following.... loaded to full power it is a very potent round
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I carried a 1006 recently for a while until I changed depts and I had to change to a Glock (not by choice). I carried the 1006 off-duty under the previous sheriff and used it to put down car-kill deer often. Did a great job. I love the cartridge and would love to see even the 1066 (The one I never got yet) come back out. My 1006's have been very accurate, and a former co-worker loves his as well. I'll never get rid of my 10mm's, and I've put a lot of rounds through them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry but I'm not interested in the 10mmm auto.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm disgusted with all the quislings here supported those bastards at S&W.

Smith made a good revolver, their auto's were always crap of the first order.  The 1006 was a miserable thing to shoot.  Shoot a Glock 20 and a S&W 1006...amazing how much nicer the Glock is.  Their 610 is a great revolver (10mm)...I have one built before the great cowardice destroyed S&W.

Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#10]
As to which is nicer, the Glock of the Smith, I kinda think that's something that should be reserved for the individual shooter. I own both. They both are to me very nice pistols. The higher capacity is nice, but it's kinda a moot point with non-restricted magazines. I've carried a 5906, 4006, 1006, Glock 22, and had muxh experience shooting many different models of pistols, so I feel qualified to generate impressions when I've actually used them. My 5906 and two 1006's have literally combined several thousand rounds. Only minor maintenance has been required. I didn't care for how smith abandoned the common shooter and went highbuck only with their TSW line, and until they make some marketing changes and I see how the new owner handles things I won't be buying new S&W. I haven't supported them yet, but things change, and I'm waiting to see what happens.
Why was the Smith 10mm a miserable thing to shoot for you? I find it's comparable to the 45 ACP, especially since they use the same frames. But maybe it just isn't comfortable for you, and that's ok. If the Glock 20 or 29 fits you better, fine! I love to see 10mm caliber shooters regardless of the model they shoot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#11]
maybe they can build it on the newer platform 45 that is a partial 1911 copy?....
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Troy, you forgot to mention overpriced.....well I have a 659...and the jury is still out on it...price was good...as far as the 10.....my delta works great..I will keep..(no breaky yet..???)..
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Troy, I admit, that by in itself, when shooting a S&W auto single action, the trigger doens't feel right. But, in the practice of taking up the sear after each shot for the subsequent shot, I find that the minimal travel required is akin to a 1911. Beretta, Sig, and Ruger all have significant take-up to reach the sear breaking point. Thican lead to a practice of slapping the trigger. If you have a 3rd Gen S&W, try it. In terms of controls, how are they crappy? And I agree they have some sharp edges that should be dealt with. In the same lines, didn't the 1911 styles sometimes need tuning to function reliably? Yet people have nothing but praise for it. Why are the S&W's any different?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually guys and girls, I started this thread yesterday seeking evidence that there is interest in S&W rereleasing a 10mm auto, so far it does not look good..

This was my original intention, to bad people are using it to show their disatisfaction with S&W past decisions.

I have the same thread running on Glocktalk.com.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I can see why responses from the post at Glocktalk wouldn't be favorable. I wouldn't give up, as there are people that like the cartridge/firearm combination from Smith. One problem that there would be is the market would be limited with just the 5-inch barrel. Some staes (including mine) require a longer handgun barrel that 5 inches. Glock dealt with this with an aftermarket barrel, but I highly doubt that S&W would consider it, and with the barrel bushing being the way it is, I admit I don't know if it's possible or not. I'd say keep trying. I ask the S&W rep whenever I see on if they plan on bringing the 10 back in the auto. The more S&W hears from people that want it, maybe they'll produce them again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the encouragement chwi548, I do not plan on giving up.

chwi548, I am confused on your response about 5 inch barrels??? The 1006 has a 5 inch barrel..Maybe I read your thread wrong??

It's funny, the S&W 10mm thread is getting more of a response here on AR15.com than on Glocktalk.com where the subject is constantly brought up.

The way I see it, the more firearms manufacturers out there making 10mm pistols and revolvers, the better the chance of getting the 10mm round kick started back to life and on the road to maturing, plus maybe, just maybe we could see Sig Arms and H&K get on the band wagon and produce a 10mm auto pistol, the more the better..I know this seems far fetched but you never know,

I found a webpage the other night devoted to the 10mm, this webpage also listed the LEO agencies throughout the country that still carry or use a S&W 10mm auto pistol,25-30 agencies still use some sort of S&W 10mm pistol, pretty amazing since production ceased in 93-94?

I don't know, S&W is staying away for some reason, Glock sells tons of G20's and G29's, apparently EAA's Witness 10mm is pretty good??

These are both major firearms manufacturers betting on the 10mm and it looks they are betting right, so far, S&W must be blind..

I am going to collect as much feedback as possible ove the next few weeks on this subject and send it to S&W, of course those of you out there who want S&W to release a 10mm pistol once again, feel free to email them, do not be surprised by their weak response..

Come on, give me more feedback, both GOOD and BAD.

Later
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No thanks.  A buddy of mine had one of these, it started shaking itself apart after about 300 rounds and it was a handful to shoot.  Only pistol I have seen that can take sustained firing of 10mm is the Glock.  Plus the perceived recoil is milder.

I take it your experience with S&W was better?

Hmmmm... That is interesting. I remember reading in an old S&W brochure that the 1006 pistols were designed from the ground up to handle the higher power of the 10mm cartiridge. Oh well.  I have a Colt Delta Gold Cup, a real joy to shoot.  I shoot downloaded 10mm equivalent to warmer 45ACP loads to prevent cracking the frame/slide. My local range had a Delta Elite for rent, they cracked the slide somewhere around 5K rounds, and the frame cracked around 13K shooting factory PMC. If you want to shoot full power factory 10 loads, get the Glock; I spoke with a factory rep and they have put thousaands of rounds of 10 thru their 10mm Glocks, with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#20]
To me the Witness 10mm looks like a great gun, but if the Glock Model 20 is as sweet to shoot as the Model 21 I would be tempted to get the Glock.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a S&W 4506 for a while (45ACP). It shot OK, but the trigger was terrible. Its worst feature though was that you had to have about three hands to reassemble it, plus if you were not careful you could put your eye out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I would buy a S&W 945 Custom Shop in a 10mm in a heartbeat. I had a Delta 10mm in bright stainless. It looked like a pimp gun. But put in some Winchester Silver Tips and you could have your on flame thrower. But I do not care for the Glock's.  I have owned several glocks but I always got tired of their looks. Function is the key concern but I have to factor in the looks as well. I had a 4506 and you could not hurt it. I always wanted the 1006 w/ adj sights.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a thompson 10mm 1911 bull 5 inch, i stock up on 10mm at every gun show i can hit! I love mine and not just because i like carrots too! i have never liked the recoil sound and recoil of the .357 magnum in any of my revolvers, but love the .357 mag in my desert eagle! Why can't we have the 10mm offerd in say a gun like the desert eagle the 4 and1/2 pound gun with the locking bolt lugs,gas system could sure enough handle any thing it encounterd in the 10mm hell would probably make it tame as a 9mm..  bob cole
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:24:40 AM EDT
[#24]
btt
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#25]
i would love to have a 1076 fbi model. or any other midsize auto, 1006 is too big. i can handle my glock 29 with true 10mm ammo so holding onto a midsize auto would be no problem.

now if sig sauer would come out with a 10mm, that would be the cats ass
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#26]
What are some S&W forums or web sites dedicated to the 10mm? Any?

BrenLover
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#29]
btt

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top