Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2010 5:41:59 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with these pistols?   I want to know if they are reliable and accurate.  I'm not sure how I feel about Glocks but they seem to be the next best deal to the Sigma, especially with my EMT discount tacked on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If budget is a concern, might as well get a used Glock. If it was given to me for free, I'll take the Sigma to trade in for a Glock or M&P.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the used Glock over the Sigma... police trade in G17 and G22 pistols are available all day for $350-400. Cops carry a lot but shoot little, so a police trade in may show some cosmetic wear, bu in my experience they are almost invariably immaculate inside.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Sigma .380.  The only pistol I don't regret selling.  They are priced cheap for a reason.  Have you looked at a S&W M&P?  It is a lot better pistol and not that much more in price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one in 40 cal, sent it back to S&W because the extractor broke after 3 rounds.  Took 4 months to get it back and when I finally got to shoot it, it was all over the place.  Sent it back again and they "fixed" it but even in a vise it is on/off paper at 20 feet, that is unacceptable.  Absolute pieces of crap and my local gun shops won't even let me pay them to take it.  So being that I couldn't use it as a firearm, it now is a cat toy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Worst trigger I have ever felt.  Heavy like a revolver but gritty and creepy.  Looking at the slide internals, it looks like a copy of a Glock.  The trigger is out of this world, though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
When I owned two Sigmas I had several nightmares about being in a gun fight and not being able to pull the trigger back.  They both got sold.  I now own 4 Glocks and sleep much better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Absolute junk! One friend had one that the slide rails broke, another`s won`t feed certain ammo, and the last one`s rear sight wanders!
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one when they first came out, biggest POS Smith ever made. I had it about a week and then bought a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#9]
we received one in the shop that was a smooth-bore. That's a pretty big oversight by the QC department.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought the Sigma in .40 . I picked it up cheap, and got +2 extra mags in a rebate.
The trigger will need a little work to smooth and lighten.....but it is very easy, and all of the info & instructions are on the web.
It shoots just fine. It was (is) a pretty close copy of the glock after all....so much so that S&W got sued over it!
It ain't one of my 1911's....but I've shot 500+ rounds through mine with no trouuble.

Tall Shadow

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one.  Reliable yes, Accurate yes.  Do I shoot it?  No.  Worst trigger ever.  Trigger effects useful accuracy as point of aim shifts while trying to aim.  

The trigger is better since I put a wolff striker spring in it.  Only real reason I still have it is I don't sell my guns.  It was the first handgun I bought when I was 21, and then I got into 1911's.  I have started to think about another High capacity polymer pistol, but it won't be a glock,xd, or m&p.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought one in 40 cal, sent it back to S&W because the extractor broke after 3 rounds.  Took 4 months to get it back and when I finally got to shoot it, it was all over the place.  Sent it back again and they "fixed" it but even in a vise it is on/off paper at 20 feet, that is unacceptable.  Absolute pieces of crap and my local gun shops won't even let me pay them to take it.  So being that I couldn't use it as a firearm, it now is a cat toy.
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/bobweaver/Sigma001.jpg?t=1281989911

IM sent

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Pulling the trigger on a Sigma is like flushing a toilet.  Look into a Ruger p95.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/bobweaver/Sigma001.jpg?t=1281989911

Holy shit, that is one seriously funny ass picture.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#15]
the trigger is complete shit... i've seen two have to go back to the factory because of the extractor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one in 9mm got through 5 out 10 rounds and the front sight fell off.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
a buddy has one and he has never had a problem with it. He got it for llike $279 new + the 2 extra mag rebate deal. I thought it was a tough deal to beat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#18]
i owned one in 9mm and .40 and they were the biggest piece of shits ever i actually gave them away to my dad and brother.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe check out the S&W SD series instead
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe check out the S&W SD series instead

basically just a rebranded sigma.

if you are going to get a polymer smith, go M&P or go home.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I bet Smith & Wesson wishes they never released the Sigma.  It took a long time for the to build back up their reputation after that.  The M&P is GTG, and maybe one of the best plastic pistols currently on the market.
I bought a Sigma .380 to use as a back-up gun, and wore it in an ankle rig.  I qualified with it the first year, but not the second.  I had 4 FTFs on a 50 round course.  I immediately sold it at a pawn shop. A detective later told me that it was involved in a homicide and when he did the ATF trace, my name was listed as the original owner.  I told him that I had sold it because it stove piped on me several times at the range and was a POS.  Come to find out, that it had stove piped on the suspect after the first shot.  This is the reason I will never sell another gun, or carry something that I believe will give me issues.  I now carry a Bersa as my back up, and it runs great.  
My Sigma had a real crappy finish that flaked off easily.  The slide was cast, and I had to spray paint it due to how fast the finish worn off it.  Plus on the .380 model, the mag release was at the bottom of the grip and was hard to do a mag change.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#22]
i have one love it. trigger sucks but i break it out as a training aid for myself and new shooters. it WILL teach you to squeeze a triiger and not jerk.
mine will put all shots in a 4" circle at 25 yrds if i sqeeze. also mine has had the front sight fall off and they replaces with a tritium (complained at the shot show to a rep).
i have glocks and a m&p and still enjoy the sigma and will be buying all i can find when i find'm under $250.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife has one and here is what I have noticed.

It goes bang 100% of the time with all types of ammo we have tried and has done so for well over 500 rounds.

The trigger is very heavy and as such ruins the accuracy for most.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I think the current ones are a good deal. S&W had some ups and downs with them, but I'm quite happy with my 9mm VE. It shoots to point of aim, digests everything I feed it, fits my hand well for a hicap, and conceals easily. Now some of the girlymen here will give you the "Oh Bluto, the trigger pull is too hard", but I don't have issues with it. It gets better with use, and S&W will smooth it out under warranty. It's certainly no 1911 trigger (or a Glock for that matter), but it's no worse than a lot of revolvers or milsurp stuff I've shot over the years. I have no experience with the .40 Sigmas, but my feeling is that the platform is best in 9. l wouldn't own one of the old .380's, but I've known people that were happy with theirs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Trigger is a joke. Made me want to vomit. Threw mine away and bought a Glock.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I had one, it was reasonably accurate but the horrible trigger was the limiting factor.  I was able to lighten it up quite a bit, but it was still long, creepy, and rough.

It was almost 100% reliable though.  Had maybe one or two stovepipes out of it while it was still being broken in.  I traded it for an M&P which has a much better trigger and is much more accurate.  I don't regret the trade at all.

If price is a limiting factor I would look for a police trade in Glock or used M&P.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1GLK22G3
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#27]
sigmas are junk. very inaccurate and the owners i know have had nothing but problems with them. Buy a used glock
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Sigma's are S&Ws "value" line of handguns.  That should be enough said.  You get what you pay for.  The triggers are hard to pull like a double action.  Probably ok for home defense but not for accuracy.

Now for those who keep touting the M&P line, their factory triggers suck too.  I bought a 9mm several months back and the first time I shot it I went "WOW" that is a terrible trigger.  However the APEX kit fixed it fine.  I just don't think S&W can build a decent factory striker fired handgun.  If it wasn't for the Apex sear kits the M&P line would not be as popular.  

Guess it's all perception though.  If you've never shot a good trigger on a striker fired gun you might not think the S&Ws are all that bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top