Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:20:22 AM EDT
The S&W model 76 9mm submachinegun.

SW-76 info

Its a neat gun isnt it? I bought one and hopefully the paperwork wont take too long cause I want to get my grubby hands all over it.I got to fire about 80 rounds out of it the other day and it sure was fun. THe open bolt design works a little different triggerwise but I got the hang of it fast.

Does anyone else like these things besides me?

Its correct name is SW-76 right?

Where can I buy magazines? real S&W. Gunbroker didnt have anything but I think I was searching for the wrong term. Mine only came with one shipped from the factory.

It is my understanding this was one of the first SEAL SMGs? If so they must have a reccomended sling and other equipment for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Original S&W mags are scarce as hens teeth and bring a premium price when found.

Ohio Ordnance Works sells converted Swedish K mags that fit the 76 - 5/$200

The M76 was issued with a simple black nylon 'silent sling'

And a word of caution - Worn M76 stocks are prone to collapsing(unlocking) during firing.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The names usually used are the Model 76 or S&W76. SW76 is the 'special weapons' semi. If you want real S&W76 mags, they go for about $100 a pop. Check out the sticky over at Uzitalk.com's S&W76 section for mag identification. I shoot only Suomi stick mags (around $10 each) that are very easily modified for use in the Smith.

Scott Andrey makes replacement parts for the gun. You can buy a new folding stock and grip (hard to find parts) at black-market-parts.com.

Congrats by the way!

Jake
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you mind my asking what the going rate for these is?

Your value may get bumped a wee bit since this is now "the new Joker gun."

...I want one now!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you mind my asking what the going rate for these is?

Your value may get bumped a wee bit since this is now "the new Joker gun."

...I want one now!

7k plus stamp. He had 7.6 on it but this is my 5th NFA item from the guy and the tag price has never been set in stone.  Before me testing it out this weekend, it was last fired 20 years ago.

Its funny you mention it because that is how I brought up the idea of buying it too my wife. I started talking about the model 76 after seeing it on a poster at the theater a few weeks ago, how it might get popular, go up in value, knowing where a transferrable one is and whatnot.

did you notice the AD when he got out of the truck.... He really acted suprised!!! By far it was the best acting role Ive seen in a while... too bad.....

Thanks for the information guys...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
No one has mentioned it yet, but the MK-760 is a pretty close copy of the S&W 76. Suomi 36 round magazines can be bought pretty cheap and modified for your 76. It's not that difficult to do with a file or dreml tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top