Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 1:00:24 PM EDT
Has anyone here use the standard vortex flash hider from SEI instead of the direct connect version that seems so popular?  I use an M1A Scout for a patrol carbine and there's not a chance in hell I'll get a suppressor authorized so I figured I'd save the money and just get the normal vortex flash hider and use the money saved towards the extended bolt stop.  Wouldn't the only reason to get the direct connect version be to allow the attachement of their suppressor (which they won't sell direct to individual LEOs or civilians anyway)?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you will save some money, true.  There are a cople of reasons for the Vortex and GLFS combination, but principally the advantage to this design is as you cited: the ability to readily mount a sound suppressor on the M14 weapon.  Now as for procuring the M14DC sound suppressor, you actually can do just that.  However, suppressors for the civilian market and individual LE sales are marked Fisher Enterprises, Inc. not Smith Enterprise, Inc.  Other than that, there is no difference in the unit. If you ever do want the suppressor, the company can put you in touch with Dave Fisher. Of course, by staying with the original M14 Vortex design, you will have a slightly longer sight radius -- if that matters.  On a patrol rifle I think the longer sight radius advantage if any, is moot.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know that suppressor was available.  I'd get one if I could so the direct connect version may be the way to go.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the SEI dovetail Vortex flash hider on my full auto M1A.  I got tired of cleaning the carbon buildup out of the USGI M14E2 muzzle stabilizer every 1000 rounds.

Here's a photo of my Fisher Enterprises M14DC sound suppressor, SEI GLFS and SEI direct connect Vortex flash hider on one of my semi-auto Super Match M1A rifles:

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want one contact SEI directly and get Dave Fisher's contact info.  I don't have it handy...on the road here. You'll want to order one soon as Smith & Fisher (Hmmm...nice ring to it!) are about to get buried in a major gummint order.  Word to the wise.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I live just down the road from Smith Enterprise so I'll go over and get the contact information about the suppressor.  Thanks everyone...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I live just down the road from Smith Enterprise so I'll go over and get the contact information about the suppressor.  Thanks everyone...

---
Word of friendly advice: please call them at 480 964-1818 with specific questions or email them at [email protected] before you go.  They have zilch time for folks dropping in these days with all their government work.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I use the SEI dovetail Vortex flash hider on my full auto M1A.  I got tired of cleaning the carbon buildup out of the USGI M14E2 muzzle stabilizer every 1000 rounds.

Here's a photo of my Fisher Enterprises M14DC sound suppressor, SEI GLFS and SEI direct connect Vortex flash hider on one of my semi-auto Super Match M1A rifles:

www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/albums/civilian/Suppressed_M1A_project_2.sized.jpg

Different,

Can you give a ballpark price for the suppressor?

Spooky
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/albums/civilian/Suppressed_M1A_project_2.sized.jpg

Different,

Spooky

$800 + maybe $1K now...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different,

Spooky

I paid $800.00 in late 2004 for mine.  Last I heard, spring 2005, the Fisher Enterprises M14DC suppressor was $850.00.  I agree with H2O_MAN, it's likely gone up in price.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:26:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different,

Spooky

I paid $800.00 in late 2004 for mine.  Last I heard, spring 2005, the Fisher Enterprises M14DC suppressor was $850.00.  I agree with H2O_MAN, it's likely gone up in price.

I guess that's not too bad considering you can move it around between Vortex equipped guns...  Maybe one for the Troy SOPMOD would be fun...

Spooky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top