Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 10:49:49 AM EDT
I was looking through my safe, and decided to check out my dad's old Smith-Corona M1903-A3.  I can't find much info. about it.  It looks as if it has been sporterized and has the name Frank Pierce Norfolk, VA on the BBL.  Does anyone know much about these?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheaper version of the 1903, they shoot well, but maybe not as accurate as the Remington 03A3, and they generally don't bring as much money as a Remington (though the quality is the same). That's about all I know. I have an 03A3 Remington I like and I wouldn't have any problem with a S-C.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
S-C were produced in far less quantities than Remington.  Non-molested examples bring a premium on the collectors market.

A3's have several stamped parts, where the earlier model had milled.  They also have a better sights.    

The first Milsurp rifle I bought was a S-C M1903A3.  It was an unissued rifle out of a State National Guard Armory.  

OSA
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Actually SC 1903A3's were purportedly used in Korea refitted as A4's; they were considered more accurate than any 03A3 off the line. (Not including original A4's) They usually came with 6-groove (I think it was 6? perhaps 4?) barrels, whereas Remington and the rest only came with 2-groove barrels. Many were re-finished with 2-groove barrels.

My father has one that was supposedly built up at the outbreak of Korea as an A4 (which is how I know this ). It has an original Lyman Alaskan scope on it, as well as an original military mount.

I'm trying to buy it from him...but the parts on it are worth more than he paid for it. I don't want to get socked for THAT price
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top