Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DoubleHaul:
Should be able to get into an ebay Rhino 2 Ti for under $60. I believe you would then need a Norotos AKA2 dovetail adapter (Norotos PVS-15/ PVS-18 Socket) to replace the J-Arm adapter (pull out the roll pin and slide onto the I-beams) in order to interface with the shoe that you will mount to the machos.

This video is pretty helpful in understanding which part is which, and the conversion of a typicaly Rhino 2 to accept a dovetail mount:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAMT3By211M
View Quote
Then dovetail to one of the dual mounts. 10-4!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Done. Did the RHINO II in FDE, MACHOS and Auroras' in OD - both MagPul color codes:

Still trying to come up with a permanent 'collimation' solution - slotting the hole won't work well. Thinking of cutting the MACHOS locating pin (just a countersunk Allen screw) so it barely protrudes, and it'll detent the first .5mm of the body plastic. When they're collimated, it's pretty damn cool, because the 16:9 screens, together, look like an HD Movie Screen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By savagemann:

I know everyone says to get the RHNO II.
Is the world going to explode if I get a surplus RHNO off ebay to start out?
View Quote
I would highly recommend a RHINO II for this non-standard setup - depending on your head/face - these can use all the adjustability of the RHINO II. I got mine for like $60 or so - I'd wait for one to fall off the truck at Bragg.

Yes, to accept the MACHOS with PVS-18 Shoe, you need to take off the stock Bayonet/Horn adapter, and add a Dovetail adapter:

Norotos Dovetail Socket
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#4]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Done. Did the RHINO II in FDE, MACHOS and Auroras' in OD - both MagPul color codes:

https://i.imgur.com/3z5sGDn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/usZOAlE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZEOnb83.jpg

Still trying to come up with a permanent 'collimation' solution - slotting the hole won't work well. Thinking of cutting the MACHOS locating pin (just a countersunk Allen screw) so it barely protrudes, and it'll detent the first .5mm of the body plastic. When they're collimated, it's pretty damn cool, because the 16:9 screens, together, look like an HD Movie Screen.
View Quote
Dude... That's awesome. Wish I could try it out

So you are having issues getting your 'view' to only see one image?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Dude... That's awesome. Wish I could try it out

So you are having issues getting your 'view' to only see one image?
View Quote
No, "image" is always great (hog in a field, for example) - but if you want the Gain, 720p30, battery logo, clock, etc... to be "one" or "merge" you need to slightly angle each one in a bit. I removed the locating pin completely to do this, but any bump could move them. But if I make a barely protruding pin, it'll "bite" into the body and keep it from moving. You can totally just point both straight ahead and it looks great, you just see a bunch of stuff in the borders and have to close each eye to read it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Gotcha thanks. You aren't ever in Dallas are you?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#7]
big things coming this week

single use or duals. ultralight. cheap.

bayonet mount first, then dovetail in the coming weeks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25567/Assembly3a_png-1061602.JPG
View Quote
Dovetails first, all the bayoney peeps have options already
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Polymer or machined??
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Poly resin but strong as aircraft alum.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking good. I see some possible locations for cable ties for power... I'm about to jump into this and I have a baby due in November.. my wife is going to kill me. Wish me luck... Also anyone have any ideas for low cost rifle mounted illuminator and ir laser????
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
I'm in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 4:36:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry for not being very clear, the damn deer wouldn't stand still! The third photo really emphasizes how the camera makes the differences in color pop out.

Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:16:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#14]
Originally Posted By Bazmancrash:
Looking good. I see some possible locations for cable ties for power... I'm about to jump into this and I have a baby due in November.. my wife is going to kill me. Wish me luck... Also anyone have any ideas for low cost rifle mounted illuminator and ir laser????
View Quote
If you're talking about my setup - just realize that the cables move around quite a bit when going from stowed to deployed, and back. At the 45 degree point, there is just a c-hair amount of slack - don't want to put any pressure on the USB Port.

Random: The Sport is still on firmware 1.0, and *doesn't* have 'Auto' in the EVF shut-off menu - which kind of sucks, but maybe future updates...
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Gotcha thanks. You aren't ever in Dallas are you?
View Quote
Negative Ghost Rider - I try to never leave my ranch
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 7:29:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#16]
Originally Posted By Bazmancrash:
View Quote
Fandyfire IR flashlight. $20 on Amazon. Buy cheap Weaver 1" rings at Walmart and mount to a picatinny rail.

NCStar makes a VISM dual laser, visible and IR. My adjustment screws broke within a year but they replaced it. $90. Might get a year out of it?

They're are also some Russian options, check out Ivan the Bear online. Under $500
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Should be able to get into an ebay Rhino 2 Ti for under $60. I believe you would then need a Norotos AKA2 dovetail adapter (Norotos PVS-15/ PVS-18 Socket) to replace the J-Arm adapter (pull out the roll pin and slide onto the I-beams) in order to interface with the shoe that you will mount to the machos.

This video is pretty helpful in understanding which part is which, and the conversion of a typicaly Rhino 2 to accept a dovetail mount:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks for the guidance. That video was very helpful.
I kept trying to wrap my head around how a dovetail would fit all the Rhino mounts I was seeing on ebay.
The vid cleared that up.
I should have the correct roll pins on hand.
AKA2 enroute.

I would highly recommend a RHINO II for this non-standard setup - depending on your head/face - these can use all the adjustability of the RHINO II. I got mine for like $60 or so - I'd wait for one to fall off the truck at Bragg.

Yes, to accept the MACHOS with PVS-18 Shoe, you need to take off the stock Bayonet/Horn adapter, and add a Dovetail adapter:

Norotos Dovetail Socket
I think the trucks must have all been at Bragg yesterday, because I found a TI2 on ebay for $55. Also included the helmet bracket and screw.
Can maybe add that to a cheap bump helmet so I have 2 potential hosts.

Thanks for the link to the AKA2.
Being noob to all of this, I wasn't sure if that was the right adapter or not.
So Now all I need is the PVS18 dovetail and camera mount.
Since I only have 1 for now, maybe we'll see what gaspain comes up with.

Thanks again everyone for the help!
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:40:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#18]

View Quote
I'd be in for one for sure!
Dovetail please.
But would buy a bayonet style to tide me over :)
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#19]
FYI... I ordered on July 20th, and just got an email from them saying it would ship in the first week of September.    *shrug*
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Count me in
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I would be interested also.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Need MOAR info!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Senoj:

Need MOAR info!  
View Quote
Making prototypes now, lots of angles and dimensions to consider when designing these. I should be shipping beta models next week, and dovetail versions soon after that.

Still figuring pricing out, figuring my costs and time. Should be very inexpensive compared to the competition. Will be made on a jewelry/dental type SLA resin printer with super tough resin. Not your normal 3d print, this design cannot be made with machining or a FDM printer with out massive supports. I made it as a challenge to test the limits of this emerging technology, with the idea of making it light and strong and simple, these are the core principles of aircraft design and drone engineering of which I have experience. Will be available in black or FDE.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]
This sounds awesome gaspain!
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Making prototypes now, lots of angles and dimensions to consider when designing these. I should be shipping beta models next week, and dovetail versions soon after that.

Still figuring pricing out, figuring my costs and time. Should be very inexpensive compared to the competition. Will be made on a jewelry/dental type SLA resin printer with super tough resin. Not your normal 3d print, this design cannot be made with machining or a FDM printer with out massive supports. I made it as a challenge to test the limits of this emerging technology, with the idea of making it light and strong and simple, these are the core principles of aircraft design and drone engineering of which I have experience. Will be available in black or FDE.
View Quote
@gaspain how do I get on the waiting list for this?!?!
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#26]
There is no waiting list or preorder. I do not like those things because they deliver half made products. Aim for 2 weeks to place your order conservatively. I will only post here in this thread when it's ready...arfcom exclusive. I have to still make limited prototypes and send them to testers, so there is UPS time in that. The product will be finished when its finished. But it's not that far off, all the equipment is on place and ready just finalizing design.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#27]
There is no waiting list or preorder. I do not like those things because they deliver half made products. Aim for 2 weeks to place your order conservatively. I will only post here in this thread when it's ready...arfcom exclusive. I have to still make limited prototypes and send them to testers, so there is UPS time in that. The product will be finished when its finished. But it's not that far off, all the equipment is on place and ready just finalizing design.
View Quote
I'm in for this
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 10:39:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#28]
If you are considering my mount, please plan to use a norotros rhino 2 (rhno II), as it has up and down adjustments.

Also some rhno2 come the bayonet and some with dovetail. Bayos go for $30 to 40 usgi used. And Wilcox or rhno2 dovetails are hundreds.
The rhno 2 can be upgraded to dovetailfor $50 ish by replacing the socket with this. The dovetail has a more positive connection for anti-cant. The rhino 2 can be identified by having linear "I"beam rails and not circular rails. It comes in titanium or black aluminum, and says "trade secret" on the label, but who know what that's about. That said, RHNO v1 might work but I haven't tested it, it's a good upgrade to v2 to get the up/down adjustment.

My mount initially will be released for the bayonet type due to costs, as the SiOnyx is less the mount should be less cost. Soon after I will release a dovetail, which will be able to be added on to my existing lower arm, so you wont have to get a whole new mount just the dovetail and replace my existing bayonet should you choose.

Forgive my spelling and grammar, tequila and cigars are to blame tonight. Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#29]
If you are considering my mount, please plan to use a norotros rhino 2 (rhno II), as it has up and down adjustments.
View Quote
so If I am going to get your mount (I am ) and currently own nothing (but ordered that IR light last night). what should I get in the mean time?

Rhino II
anything else?
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:22:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#30]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

so If I am going to get your mount (I am ) and currently own nothing (but ordered that IR light last night). what should I get in the mean time?

Rhino II
anything else?
View Quote
Rhino2 then, an airsoft helmet, emerson or lancer or loogu or FMA are about $40. Be sure to get one with the knob adjustable back. Then get a helmet counter balance to put a battery in.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#31]
@gaspain, I know the rhino II will allow the forward and back for the camera. How will your mount allow a right to left axis to help center the camera with your eye. First gen Lions gear requires a pupil test but the machos are adjustable....with an large price tag. Thanks for the work on this design because the prototype looks good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#32]
Each eye is adjustable, which is better than machos. Max PD is 70. Min is 50.

Dual sionyx setup, min is like 62.5 I think. Because the optics hit at the center.

edit: PD = pupil distance. Go to here for more info on how to measure your PD. The average adult's PD is between 54-70 mm; kids' are between 43-58 mm.

If you have wider distance than 70mm, contact me and I will make a wider mount to work for your Shrek head
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Very much in. Ready to throw money at you
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By habu36:
FYI... I ordered on July 20th, and just got an email from them saying it would ship in the first week of September.   *shrug*
View Quote
I must have just made the cut - I was on the 19th. It's only a week - it'll be there!
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#35]

edit: PD = pupil distance. Go to here for more info on how to measure your PD. The average adult's PD is between 54-70 mm; kids' are between 43-58 mm.
View Quote
You can also use a Caliper, if you have one - just put the points dead center of pupil and read the number - I found it way easier than a ruler, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I must have just made the cut - I was on the 19th. It's only a week - it'll be there!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
FYI... I ordered on July 20th, and just got an email from them saying it would ship in the first week of September.   *shrug*
I just got the shipping notice email this morning!   YAY!
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#37]
If you can/will ship the mounts up to Canada I am very much in for both dovetail and horn!
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Man, I only put in my order a couple weeks ago.  Probably still a few weeks from shipping!
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I emailed them and requested an ETA, on my July 26 pre order.
They replied with the first week of September.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Shipping notice on the 23rd, arrived today.   Charging right now.  I'm really looking forward to playing with it and getting to know it.

Side question:   Any recommendations for an inexpensive bump helmet for plus-sized heads?  I'm looking at the Lancer XL.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Shipping notice on the 23rd, arrived today.   Charging right now.  I'm really looking forward to playing with it and getting to know it.

Side question:   Any recommendations for an inexpensive bump helmet for plus-sized heads?  I'm looking at the Lancer XL.
View Quote
That's what I got off of Amazon and I have a massive noggin. I crushed down some of the foam pads and it just fits.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 7:34:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 223Rem] [#42]
A bump for the bumps....

When it comes to bump helmets I have noticed that some have the NVD mount molded directly into the unit and other have the mount bolted on.

Is one setup better then the other?

I am on the side that the bolt on mount may be the way to go as it is easier to swap out if there are any issues.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 223Rem:
A bump for the bumps....

When it comes to bump helmets I have noticed that some have the NVD mount molded directly into the unit and other have the mount bolted on.

Is one setup better then the other?

I am on the side that the bolt on mount may be the way to go as it is easier to swap out if there are any issues.

Thoughts?
View Quote
The molded-in one is a direct copy of the ops core bump helmet.  I opted for a bolt-on so I could swap it out for a real mount, even through it turned out to work fine.  I don't see any advantage to the molded in one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#44]
If you guys buy a cheap bump helmet I would highly recommend springing for a set of 4D pads.  They're pricey but worth it.  Makes a huge difference in how comfortable you are after wearing the helmet for a few hours.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#45]
No love for the Crye Nightcap?
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 10:33:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VanceMMA] [#46]
Thanks for all the info in this thread it’s been really helpful. I have a Sport, Lancer bump and Rhino 2 ready, just waiting for gaspain to sell his adapters.

While I’m waiting I want to paint my Sport FDE. I don’t have an airbrush and I’m cheap so I was considering using Aluma-hyde II. Is there any reason not to use aerosol paint? I’m worried about going too thick and having the moving parts stick together. I think a few super light coats might do it, what do you think?

Edit: If anyone was thinking about getting that cheap Ncstar IR laser, one vender has them for $77 on eBay right now with only 4 left.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 4:22:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By VanceMMA:

While I’m waiting I want to paint my Sport FDE. I don’t have an airbrush and I’m cheap so I was considering using Aluma-hyde II. Is there any reason not to use aerosol paint? I’m worried about going too thick and having the moving parts stick together. I think a few super light coats might do it, what do you think?
View Quote
You'll probably be fine - I Cerakoted mine, just flash dry each misting coat and press/move stuff wearing a rubber glove. I had some stuff stick even then, but it all broke free. Never used Aluma-hyde though...
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Question for those with aging eyes....how well does this work, being basically a video screen up close to your face?  I can't see crap within arm's length anymore.  If I hold my phone too close it's a blur.  With regular analog NOD's I don't have that problem, though.  I assume it has something to do with the fact that they function more like a scope, with a lense that you focus to your eye.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
Question for those with aging eyes....how well does this work, being basically a video screen up close to your face?  I can't see crap within arm's length anymore.  If I hold my phone too close it's a blur.  With regular analog NOD's I don't have that problem, though.  I assume it has something to do with the fact that they function more like a scope, with a lense that you focus to your eye.
View Quote
I would assume that the viewfinder has a lense that focuses the image at infinity, similar to how a DSLR camera's viewfinder works, but after thinking about the differences I honestly don't know.

Can anybody who has one share some illumination on this subject?

I ordered two sports on 8/17, eagerly awaiting shipping notification.  Can't wait to play with these!

As far as painting, has anyone painted their sports yet?  Can you share pics, what are your thoughts on painting over the button labels?  That's my main concern.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Senoj:

As far as painting, has anyone painted their sports yet?  Can you share pics, what are your thoughts on painting over the button labels?  That's my main concern.
View Quote
Top of the page ^

Pretty simple operation, I don't need the labels - after you use it for an hour or so, you'll probably memorize everything.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top