Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 3:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bogdan] [#1]
Joke is on you guys. I will literally use this at LARP. We have this easter egg hunt for resources in the form of "nodes" which are just wooden dowels panted in red and blue colors stick in the ground somewhere on the campsite. Will use this and IR light to find them at night.

Will regular paint glow/reflect under IR light?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I jumped on the Aurora Black during the $399 sale. Going weapon mounted for varmint control at the farm.

7" 300blk SBR using subs.

I got the picatinny rail adapter off amazon and it is very solid. All steel with antirotation pads.

Need to pick up a TLR VIR2 for IR light/laser.

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thrown_hammer:
I jumped on the Aurora Black during the $399 sale. Going weapon mounted for varmint control at the farm.

7" 300blk SBR using subs.

I got the picatinny rail adapter off amazon and it is very solid. All steel with antirotation pads.

Need to pick up a TLR VIR2 for IR light/laser.

https://i.postimg.cc/CK0P7rL1/20230728-075751.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/zX0K6djv/20230728-075955.jpg
View Quote

I'm liking that mount. Ordered to test. Price is good. The only issue (maybe not) I can see will be rotation.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:

I'm liking that mount. Ordered to test. Price is good. The only issue (maybe not) I can see will be rotation.
View Quote

I snugged it down and I couldn't get it to rotate. Let me know what you think of it when you get it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#5]

I snugged it down and I couldn't get it to rotate. Let me know what you think of it when you get it.
View Quote
Sure thing. I liked one reviewer that dinner it because you had to remove it to take it off the mount. Well duh!
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you give me more information or a link to the adapter.  I'm looking for one to mount the IR Flashlight to the Sionyx.  Got an IR light on ebay and it was missing the dovetail adapter
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I posted one of the Sionyx factory rail adapters (a prototype)  I like the QD, but it could be smaller like the one you've got. The nice thing about the factory version is that it has the vertical stud that prevents side to side wiggle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got started with the Aurora Black (another $399 guy here). So far I’m happy.

Found a QD from Farrow-Tech that lines up with your optic. Kind of a pick your poison deal. And for what looks like $50 a pop and free shipping…

https://farrow.tech/sionyx-aurora-picatinny-rail-mount/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you tried that setup yet?

I wouldn't be surprised of your zero is off.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By blwngazkit:
Have you tried that setup yet?

I wouldn't be surprised of your zero is off.
View Quote

Explain to me how you think adding an independent optic in front of (and not attached to) my already zeroed optic will impact my zero.

Actually, don’t. It doesn’t.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
Just got started with the Aurora Black (another $399 guy here). So far I’m happy.

Found a QD from Farrow-Tech that lines up with your optic. Kind of a pick your poison deal. And for what looks like $50 a pop and free shipping…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402989/IMG_1476_jpeg-2903401.JPG
View Quote

Stupid question, but wouldn’t you want the Aurora behind your optic? Right now you’re looking at a 720P screen at magnification, so you’re basically enlarging the pixels on the display. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have it behind the optic so the Aurora is naturally using the optic’s magnification?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Explain to me how you think adding an independent optic in front of (and not attached to) my already zeroed optic will impact my zero.

Actually, don't. It doesn't.
View Quote

Wow...

Since you sort of asked:

The scope will be looking AT the display of the Sionyx vs THROUGH the Sionyx.  ANY angular misalignment will result in a shift of POI, and if the mount is inconsistent, the shift will be inconsistent.  On true Clip-On devices, this is designed for.

More information on this topic:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-/18-344036/?page=1

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

You would be right if it were behind your optic, but it's not.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 2:49:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#16]

View Quote

The Aurora needs to be the first thing "looked through". Since this is nearly impossible with traditional scopes, most people use 1x RDS/Prisms for this type of application. What you have now is like a Thermal Clip On, except those have screen shifting settings to remove the aiming error and align the LCD screen display to the Optic aiming point - the Aurora doesn't.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:21:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RottenPumpkin] [#17]
I mounted the Sionyx Black with my amazon adapter behind a greendot Holosun on a lower 1/3 ADM mount.
There is a gap between the camera and dot. The camera records the perphial, but I only see the view thru the dot when looking with my eye.

The IR light is temporary until I get my Somogear.

This is a screen capture of video with IR set to flood at 25 yards at 10pm on a overcast night set to grayscale.

I will probably get a Farrowtech absolute mount to try.

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d there an easy way to mount one to a helmet accessory rail? The rail grabber mount would work but it’d be sticking a good 5-6 inches off your ear. A closer flush mount would be cool so it could be used to record NV stuff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#19]
The amazon mount isn't working out. The eyepiece with the viewer keeps coming loose during recoil.

I ordered the Farrowtech mount which has a shelf on the rear to keep the viewer engaged.

I was hoping the clip detent thingy on the camera (pictured) would keep it engaged but it didn't.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Amazing - I can't get that thing out easily even if I want it out. How in the heck is the tab not locking it in? Ah well - that's why I Helmet Mount
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#21]
So I went for a walk   at the local part that has a VERY dense canopy and almost no ambient light at all. I had it mounted on a helmet with a cheap Chinese airsoft IR light on the other side  of the helmet.
If you want to do terrain navigation and dont mind the IR signature this is an excellent piece of equipment for they money paid.  
I am still not sure whether I should stick with 720p or 360p but i was able to see very well with the cheap IR light source.
I didn't notice any "lag" and was able to navigate/ walk at a decent pace. Got to see lots of deer and foxes.
I think this would make a terrible weapon/night fighting sight but this is a terrific navigation aid.

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#22]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402989/IMG_1476_jpeg-2903401.JPG
View Quote

@gsd1983 The wall art... I need it.

I plan on getting a Sionyx soon for simple nav around the property.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Got the Farrowtech mount tonight.

It holds the eyepiece latch in, but you have to remove the camera from the mount to change the battery. So not ideal.

Still more of a gap to the optic than I would like.

I'll test it tonight.

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ARmory04:

@gsd1983 The wall art... I need it.

I plan on getting a Sionyx soon for simple nav around the property.
View Quote

The  Night Reaper is from Lorin Michki. The rifle prints are from a member here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Notsureifserious.jpg

You're magnifying an electronic display with your optic.  It's like magnifying a tiny computer screen, which isn't very useful since it's already been digitally enhanced.  If you put the Sionyx behind the optic instead, then you'd be enhancing the light of your magnified optic (which would hold zero as well as your scope does, which is, presumably, excellent).

Another way to think of the Sionyx is that it's a digital camera and a small display screen.  It's set up in a tube configuration, but someone could separate and wire them so the camera is at one location, and the screen is at another.  It's not an optic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#26]
No affiliation with Omaha Outdoors, but they have a coupon code right now:
USE CODE: AURORA35

Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:13:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#27]
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter:
No affiliation with Omaha Outdoors, but they have a coupon code right now:
USE CODE: AURORA35

View Quote

And of course they're out of everything except the standard Aurora. A friend of mine is looking for a Sport for his boat. That would've been a hell of a deal at $260.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't been here for awhile. Sold my setup last January. Any of you guys seen this new digital Nvg offering? NVG10?

https://goodnitegearshop.com/products/nvg10-ir-tactical-night-vision-monocular-with-helmet-%F0%9F%8C%95?variant=44409597821161

NVG10 Digital VS. PVS-14 (HEAD-TO-HEAD) Night Vision Review
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:14:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hallway_monitor] [#29]
Okay, I'll bite, this is my setup, had to heavily modify a mount I got off amazon with a drill, angle grinder, but it works very well behind an ACOG. With an analog PVS-14 on the dome or thermal, this thing works really well.

Sionyx aurora pro behind an ACOG with a customized picattiny adapter

https://a.co/d/gf3ZEHw < link to the adapter, you'll have to modify it heavily and get a thumb screw that won't block the charging handle..
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Just got one of these recently. What’s a good flood IR light to put on a helmet for darker nights?

My son was using it with an insight WMXL behind me and I was getting blinded with my pvs14. Need something a little less intense but more output than a sidewinder or task light.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ReRun7:
Just got one of these recently. What’s a good flood IR light to put on a helmet for darker nights?

My son was using it with an insight WMXL behind me and I was getting blinded with my pvs14. Need something a little less intense but more output than a sidewinder or task light.
View Quote

Amazon Product
  • INVISIBLE IR LIGHT --- FandFire 501IR flashlight is not for General Lighting Purpose, it emits high power invisible 940NM infrared light, IR can't be seen by human eyes, recommend to use night vision monocular and goggles together.(only a small, faint red glow on the LED that shows you that the torch is on)
  • ZOOMABLE --- The flashlight head section can be zoomed in and out to obtain zoomable light, and the zoom is suitable for short distances and field ranges
  • ADVANCED DESIGN --- The fuselage is made of aircraft aluminum alloy, using optical convex lens, enables better focusing in for a condensed spotlight or back out for a flood effect. It has anti-slip and waterproof design, which helps to get a better night in hunting

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:45:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#32]
Just listed one of my Aurora Pro's in EE. Picked up an Opsin and thinning the Aurora herd. Come with KiloOhm goodies.

EE listing

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Rooster-X:
Just listed one of my Aurora Pro's in EE. Picked up an Opsin and thinning the Aurora herd. Come with KiloOhm goodies.

EE listing

View Quote

those are not kilo, those are copy cats. Sorry
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#34]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

those are not kilo, those are copy cats. Sorry
View Quote

Yup, they are. I got both lense covers, cup mounts, eye cups, and a bino bridge from your Etsy about 4 years ago.. But hey, don’t believe me. What ever

My bad, the lense cover and eye peice is SAM, the bridge I bought from you. Sorry, thought I bought it all from one source.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:57:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#35]
Considering the thread is so massive, by any chance is there a post with recommended mods/accessories/parts?  I picked a aurora black up on black friday knowing that it won't compete with real nods, but real nods are easily years away.

So far I have a Farrowtech cowitness mount and the illuminator kit that came with the aurora.  No idea if I want to go weapon or helmet mounted yet, but it would probably be airsoft helmet if I did.  I have been looking at the 3d printed sacrificial window mods, but was unsure if they would degrade image quality or not.

Edit: it does look like if you remove the 'tail' on the farrowtech mount you can remove the rear viewfinder assembly to swap batteries without removing the mount from the optic.  Haven't tested it yet, but can report back if people are curious.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
Considering the thread is so massive, by any chance is there a post with recommended mods/accessories/parts?  I picked a aurora black up on black friday knowing that it won't compete with real nods, but real nods are easily years away.

So far I have a Farrowtech cowitness mount and the illuminator kit that came with the aurora.  No idea if I want to go weapon or helmet mounted yet, but it would probably be airsoft helmet if I did.  I have been looking at the 3d printed sacrificial window mods, but was unsure if they would degrade image quality or not.

Edit: it does look like if you remove the 'tail' on the farrowtech mount you can remove the rear viewfinder assembly to swap batteries without removing the mount from the optic.  Haven't tested it yet, but can report back if people are curious.
View Quote

What context are you using it in? Because it's basically useless for nav at night if there's not a whole bunch of ambient IR (urban/suburban) or you use an IR illuminator. The refresh rate is also not really conducive to this use. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it, but I'd be prepared for the reality of the situation.

Farrowtech is the way to go with a weapon-mount. I've never tried doing a weapons-mount with my Aurora, so I don't have any opinions on that. For me, it's just a camera.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I picked up a PVS 14 to use "for real" with my helmet and I'm liking it so far. I still have my SiOnyx sport from a few years ago. Should I make a budget helmet for my 8 year old to LARP with me or set it up behind an optic? That seems interesting as I'm left eye dominant but shoot right handed, so I haven't figured out passive rifle work yet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
I picked up a PVS 14 to use "for real" with my helmet and I'm liking it so far. I still have my SiOnyx sport from a few years ago. Should I make a budget helmet for my 8 year old to LARP with me or set it up behind an optic? That seems interesting as I'm left eye dominant but shoot right handed, so I haven't figured out passive rifle work yet.
View Quote

I made a setup for my 10-year-old and it's a hit, especially at barbecues and camping.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:36:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#39]
Originally Posted By erwos:

The refresh rate is also not really conducive to this use.
View Quote

I've driven many vehicles, and shot many NV courses of fire at 720p/30 with 30ms sensor processing delay - it's fine. Every time you blink, it's 300ms. The biggest problem with the Black/Classic/Sport is the Gen 1 NL2 Sensor - you need a Half Moon or better (suburban glow) for unassisted viewing. I'd always go Helmet over Weapon mounting - you can Passive Aim or get a cheap LASER.

NorthPolar - use Google to do a site search -> site:ar15.com sionyx m24 flir sotac mount bridge. That should find all you need to know.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

I made a setup for my 10-year-old and it's a hit, especially at barbecues and camping.
View Quote

@11boomboom what’s a really cheap way to set up a helmet mount? I do have the gaspain mount but nothing to attach it, stole my Wilcox set up for the PVS14.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#41]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

I've driven many vehicles, and shot many NV courses of fire at 720p/30 with 30ms sensor processing delay - it's fine. Every time you blink, it's 300ms. The biggest problem with the Black/Classic/Sport is the Gen 1 NL2 Sensor - you need a Half Moon or better (suburban glow) for unassisted viewing. I'd always go Helmet over Weapon mounting - you can Passive Aim or get a cheap LASER.

NorthPolar - use Google to do a site search -> site:ar15.com sionyx m24 flir sotac mount bridge. That should find all you need to know.
View Quote

the main use case will be for northern lights video so I can keep my dslr doing photos. But if I happen to get something to goof around with in fall/winter I’m not going to complain. I wouldn’t mind doing a helmet mount for it.

Already knew supplemental IR would be needed. Eventually I’ll buy a Steiner or similar as a good set of nods is on my list. Some capability is still better than nothing currently though.  Worst case, I can flip it for a profit after Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@11boomboom what’s a really cheap way to set up a helmet mount? I do have the gaspain mount but nothing to attach it, stole my Wilcox set up for the PVS14.
View Quote

SOTAC G24 or, for about $70 more, an Argus.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#43]

SOTAC G24 or, for about $70 more, an Argus.
View Quote

Yep, this.

Chinese airsoft gear and it is actually well made and durable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone aware of any sales currently running?

I have a friend interested in getting one for her husband for Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Amazon still has them for $449.00 with the ir flashlight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By turbo_infidel:
Anyone aware of any sales currently running?

I have a friend interested in getting one for her husband for Christmas.

View Quote

What model? Black/Classic/Sport are Gen 1 NL2 devices (needs a half moon, urban lighting, or an IR light). The Pro is Gen 2 NL4 (Moonless Starlight).
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#47]

What model? Black/Classic/Sport are Gen 1 NL2 devices (needs a half moon, urban lighting, or an IR light). The Pro is Gen 2 NL4 (Moonless Starlight).
View Quote

The Pro...
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Slightly off topic, but where did the Opsin thread go? There was a lot of good info there and now it's all gone.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Rooster-X:
Slightly off topic, but where did the Opsin thread go? There was a lot of good info there and now it's all gone.
View Quote

The OP self nuked it and deleted all of his posts.  It's still here in the NV sections, but totally useless now
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Stonia:

The OP self nuked it and deleted all of his posts.  It's still here in the NV sections, but totally useless now
View Quote

Well, that was nice of him.

Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top